The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former player accuses Flames head coach Bill Peters of using racial slur -- Peters resigns

Rate this topic

37 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Eddie taking the high road. Always was a first class professional. Love the guys outlook, his victory dance, his smile and of course his taco Tuesdays. Bet they have some mean Tacos down in Zona. 

14FE6F4C-8FF5-4CC9-B8FB-88B86AEE4F5B.jpeg

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't mind the Flames taking some time to make a thorough review and decision on this. Its going to change lives so taking 72 hours or so to get it right is a proper thing to do imo. At the end of the day tho I don't see how Peters returns.   

Investigation is likely to see whether or not they have grounds to terminate without pay.  He won't coach in North America again.

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Carolina coach Rod Brind’Amour confirmed that Calgary coach Bill Peters assaulted two players while head coach of the Hurricanes. Former Carolina defenseman Michal Jordan alleged that Peters kicked him and “punched another player to the head” during a game. “The incident with Bill, it for sure happened,” said Brind’Amour, an assistant under Peters. He praised the way the team dealt with it. “Management handled it directly. We never heard of it again. Never saw anything else after that."

Rod the Bod is a true standup guy.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Shift-4 said:

My theory is this

Peters lost the room a while ago. Maybe even as far back as last spring's playoffs.

Management wasn't cluing in.

Players were grumbling. Agents were notified.

Agents started digging for dirt.

Someone found some serious dirt.

It started with the Babcock firing and the list he asked Marner to do coming to light.   It prompted the discussion on whether it was appropriate for a coach to act that way.  Aliu then used that discussion to reveal his story about Peters - Peters was Babcock's protégé in Detroit before becoming head coach of Carolina.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

So Peters dropped the N bomb and it wasn't even directed at Ali but the music he was listening to. The irony of this being that that music is full of the N word. I would say the word because it's a real discussion but I don't want to get banned from here. 

What ever happened to an apology and moving on? lmao. We're not that far from being accused of something and lining people up in front of a literal firing squad. 

• Like 1
  • Wat 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

Good ol Campbell River kid! 

He lived here in PR, before moving to the Island. (Born in Ottawa)

I used to work for the local rag here and they had copies of every paper going back years. I once dug through a bunch of back issues and wrote a sports column about "What happened 20 years ago today?" One of the stories was about a young Roddy Brind'amour (I guess he went by "Roddy" back then) winning a minor hockey MVP award.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

So Peters dropped the N bomb and it wasn't even directed at Ali but the music he was listening to. The irony of this being that that music is full of the N word. I would say the word because it's a real discussion but I don't want to get banned from here. 

What ever happened to an apology and moving on? lmao. We're not that far from being accused of something and lining people up in front of a literal firing squad. 

He was given a chance to apologize and did not. The captain of the team at the time even talked to him about it afterwards and there was still no apology.

He's had plenty of time to apologize for what he said and for his other actions(the physical abuse on players) but he never did.
This is usually not the sign of someone who regrets his actions. 

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Ur a Towel said:

He was given a chance to apologize and did not. The captain of the team at the time even talked to him about it afterwards and there was still no apology.

He's had plenty of time to apologize for what he said and for his other actions(the physical abuse on players) but he never did.
This is usually not the sign of someone who regrets his actions. 

Ok, well, never mind then I guess. I never heard of that but only he was being accused of something ten years ago.

• Cheers 2

57 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

He said it to a black guy.........thats a pretty important detail. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

it was directed at Ali on several occasions because of the type of music he likes.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

He said it to a black guy.........thats a pretty important detail. 

not to mention Peters got the guy demoted to the E. But I'm sure Mr. Rant above would be uber-forgiving if this happened to him and someone screwed his career and made racial slurs in front of him. Its all free speech, am i rite? 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

And we know his opinion on this matter.  That’s a good thing.  It takes time to make change, especially in how one views the world.  

IMO the young player was afraid to speak up because the coaches had the power to ruin his career.  This guy was not a star player.  He knew that, and kept quiet until his playing days were done.  I wish things were different 10 years ago, and his Captain would have done more than just speak to Peters.  Now the timing is right for this guy to speak up, and be heard.  Hopefully all hockey listens, and stops this abusive crap that continues in teams.  

I think one should consider how good the Captain was to actually take leadership, despite this different time period where abuse was normalized. Ultimately, his hands may have been tied. And for all we know, maybe Peters said "Yeah, well I didn't mean it that way" to the captain.