The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former player accuses Flames head coach Bill Peters of using racial slur -- Peters resigns

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, Qwags said:

People seem to confuse "cancel culture" for "facing the consequences of your actions."

Just to further clarify, cancel culture is very much a problem when someone is forced to resign, or fired, for something said that didn't have the intent behind it. Peters very much intended to express his racism in the way he did, same goes for Cherry. 

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

So Peters dropped the N bomb and it wasn't even directed at Ali but the music he was listening to. The irony of this being that that music is full of the N word. I would say the word because it's a real discussion but I don't want to get banned from here. 

What ever happened to an apology and moving on? lmao. We're not that far from being accused of something and lining people up in front of a literal firing squad. 

Sorry for being racist? Apology accepted? Some things, such as racism, deserve to have consequences. 

• Cheers 4

4 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Just to further clarify, cancel culture is very much a problem when someone is forced to resign, or fired, for something said that didn't have the intent behind it. Peters very much intended to express his racism in the way he did, same goes for Cherry. 

Sorry for being racist? Apology accepted? Some things, such as racism, deserve to have consequences. 

Cherry's wasn't racist, at all, imo.  You people was directed at people who don't wear poppies.

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Cherry's wasn't racist, at all, imo.  You people was directed at people who don't wear poppies.

It's the way he said it though "you people come here and enjoy our milk and honey". He was implying immigrants and there's not really any other way to see it. 
I don't think this is anywhere as bad as what Peters said though and IMO they shouldn't be connected together.

12 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Sorry but I can't go and call Cherry and Peters racists. IMHO, using a word or a choice of word does not make you a racist. How these two men act and live their lives makes them, or doesn't make them racists. We are not privy to that information so calling them racist based on a choice of words is not enough for me to judge a way of life. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Investigation is likely to see whether or not they have grounds to terminate without pay.  He won't coach in North America again.

I wonder if it's even possible to terminate someone without pay for something that happened a decade ago.

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

I wonder if it's even possible to terminate someone without pay for something that happened a decade ago.

Likely not for what he did.  Can still fire him because his name hurts the company though.  I guess he still gets what’s left on his contract though? 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Likely not for what he did.  Can still fire him because his name hurts the company though.  I guess he still gets what’s left on his contract though? 

Many are speculating that the Flames "investigation" is really the lawyers finding ways from getting out of paying Peters the rest of the money owed to him on his contract.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

"You people that come here" so it wasn't just non poppy wearers. I don't think Cherry is maliciously racist.

I can agree with that wording.........and I think that's what it was, just an unfortunate spoken error

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, peaches5 said:

Just like he knew his agent?

That’s a good point.  Accepted.  We think we know someone and then wonder later how that person could have said or done something.  Still Orr does know Cherry, and we don’t.  But I do accept you point.  

Akim Aliu was an great player. Okay, I'm kidding. Who is he? Some guy with terrible taste in music? Anyway...

Going back in time and accusing people of racism for something they migh've said 10-20-30 years ago? We're so quick to judge. Maybe Akim needs therapy, to work through some things himself. What if they dug deep into the old guard from the 50s and 60s who played in the NHL? Probably lots of nuggets there people can cry about.  Heck, why limit it to the NHL, or even sports? I'm sure there are a lot of film and music celebrities over the last 50 years that have said some things. If someone says something today? Heck yeah, throw the book at them.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Toews said:

Just confirming, all of hip-hop is "$&!# music" to you? I will admit a lot of the latest trends in music are not something that appeals to me but I wouldn't call it "$&!# music" either. We all have different tastes, I am sure there is someone out there who finds my (or for that matter your) taste in music to be "$&!#ty". How you go communicating that to a subordinate/co-worker makes a difference. People want to be respected, they want their choices to be respected. Its honestly just like if I was discussing hockey with someone, I would probably not be talking to the guy that keeps telling me that the Canucks are a "$&!# team", I would more often than not think that person is either an idiot or a douche or a combination of both.

If Peters had a problem with the language used in the songs that Aliu was playing then he could have communicated as much without the racist comments.  Also it isn't a witch hunt when the allegations have been confirmed as true. 

When someone walks into a studio and raps incoherently with autotune over a computerized beat I call it shiza music.  I do like some rap and my buddies and I used to get messed up and rap for fun but it's pretty easy to see who has talent (The Roots) and who doesn't.  However I was talking about the song Peter's was referencing, I wouldn't want to hear that either.  Westside Connection comes to mind:  "#$%@$ wipe the #$%^ off my #$%&"  mmmmk lol.  I cant recall the last time I heard Blackthought use a Nbomb, I am sure he has but not in every song like a lot of rappers.  I will admit some of my disdain is based on jealousy, I spent years playing instruments and these guys walk in an out in an hour and have a hit song lol.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Akim Aliu was an great player. Okay, I'm kidding. Who is he? Some guy with terrible taste in music? Anyway...

Going back in time and accusing people of racism for something they migh've said 10-20-30 years ago? We're so quick to judge. Maybe Akim needs therapy, to work through some things himself. What if they dug deep into the old guard from the 50s and 60s who played in the NHL? Probably lots of nuggets there people can cry about.  Heck, why limit it to the NHL, or even sports? I'm sure there are a lot of film and music celebrities over the last 50 years that have said some things. If someone says something today? Heck yeah, throw the book at them.

It wasn't acceptable ten years ago either.  It's been beaten to death in this thread as to why it too so long up come out.

• Cheers 1