The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former player accuses Flames head coach Bill Peters of using racial slur -- Peters resigns

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

BECAUSE IT WAS A DECADE AGO. IS NOT. AN EXCUSE. IT IS NOT ISOLATED. That's gonna follow you forever. 

It is a statement of fact and in that sense an explanation.  You choose to call it an excuse - good for you.  

Him going back & apologizing right away is an important detail that was not brought to light before.

This is an unprecedented issue for hockey, its a potential Pandora's box waiting to be opened, but I think this whole thing really goes beyond hockey.

If the immediate apology is true, I think it opens up another layer of discussion. Who's allowed forgiveness? What does it take to gain forgiveness? At what point is someone just a 'lost cause' to be forever demonized?

This is the thing with Dan Carcillo. In the past he was an example of the things he now attacks & is an 'activist' against. So if he's allowed forgiveness & to be embraced, is that opportunity going to be there for others who are willing to own up to a mistake & look to change?

Not necessarily talking about just Peters with that, from my standpoint its more just a general question. 

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Hurricanes minority owner Peter Karmanos Jr. says that he would have fired Bill Peters in a “nanosecond” if Ron Francis would have passed on the players and staff concerns of Peters kicking and striking players.

Yikes.  Had a ton of respect for him as a player but that's not a good look at all.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Him going back & apologizing right away is an important detail that was not brought to light before.

This is an unprecedented issue for hockey, its a potential Pandora's box waiting to be opened, but I think this whole thing really goes beyond hockey.

If the immediate apology is true, I think it opens up another layer of discussion. Who's allowed forgiveness? What does it take to gain forgiveness? At what point is someone just a 'lost cause' to be forever demonized?

This is the thing with Dan Carcillo. In the past he was an example of the things he now attacks & is an 'activist' against. So if he's allowed forgiveness & to be embraced, is that opportunity going to be there for others who are willing to own up to a mistake & look to change?

Not necessarily talking about just Peters with that, from my standpoint its more just a general question. 

Several players already come and said that he never apologized about it. So for him to say that he did is simply a lie. Does not look good in my eyes. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Naw, read the article by MacT about his time in the KHL.  This kind of scumbag is exactly the kind of coach Russian owners want.  Keenan even managed to gain employment there.

Yeah I posted that article in the MacT fired thread.

Was surprised that they fired MacT for being "too nice" and "not berating the players enough".  The situation was so bad, that MacT was kind of relieved when he was fired. 

Here is part of the article (This part of the article is MacT describing his experience with the team president(Yuri Yakovlev) of the KHL team he was coaching.) 

(You can skip to the blue part if you don't want to read all)

https://www.tsn.ca/craig-mactavish-inside-my-three-month-whirlwind-stint-in-the-khl-1.1393997

By far the biggest challenge was (Yuri) Yakovlev. I liked him and certainly had a great respect for what he had built in Yaroslavl. I know you don’t run an operation this large efficiently without high-level management. He was a regal man whose management style was to manage by exception – that is, manage by addressing the negative issues only.

No news was good news when dealing with Yuri. As one of the staff told me early on, “When you speak with Yuri, things are either bad or really bad.”

My usual one-to-two-hour meetings with Yuri were generally after losses. There was no differentiating between preseason losses or regular-season losses. As Mike Keenan told me, (in the KHL) every game was treated as a must-win, Game 7 situation.

The meetings were either at the “Basa” (where all players and coaching staff lived) in Yuri’s office or, if we were on the road, in a boardroom at the hotel Yuri was staying in.

The first meeting was after an intrasquad game that Yuri had streamed to him because he was out of town. The critique of me and the team usually revolved around two issues; first, not enough battle drills in practice and, second, I didn’t berate the Russian players enough.

From Yuri’s perspective, that was the best way to achieve maximum performance from the Russian players. This was, he said, what they grew up with and that’s how they best responded.

I quietly disagreed and felt building a deeper, individualized, trust relationship with the Russian players would help me influence their behaviour, decision-making, buy-in, loyalty and, ultimately, performance level. This was probably the biggest disconnect between Yuri and me.

He felt a transactional, dictatorial relationship with the players was the best way to maximize performance and I was looking for more of a North American transformational style of leadership.

The Russian management attitude was by no means specific to Yuri. It was really the Russian norm. It didn’t make sense to me or anyone outside of Russia to bring in North American coaches but force Russian management theory on them.

I probably had about six of these meetings with Yuri – including one in Riga, Latvia at a pre-season tournament. After a very long morning breaking down the previous night’s loss and preparing for the game that night, I got back to the hotel needing a little rest before the game.

When I arrived at the hotel, there was a big black Mercedes staff car waiting for Denis and me to take us to a meeting with Yuri.

There was another meeting after the first regular-season game, a loss in which we squandered a two-goal lead. Yuri told me we were running out of time. I had better turn it around.

My patience for these meetings was definitely wearing thin.

The last meeting before I was fired I started to push back. The head coach always feels the worst after a loss. To pile on that feeling with these meetings had me questioning if this situation was survivable. I needed to change the way Yuri and I communicated. If this initiative resulted in me getting fired, well, I was willing to risk it.

At our next meeting, which was after a win, I told him that he couldn’t come down to the coaches’ office and threaten to fire me every day – especially after wins! We had to communicate differently or he had to fire me.

He told me “Craig, we’re both going to get fired.” I laughed and so did he. The next time I talked to him he fired me.

I had the same feeling I had 43 years ago when my buddies and I were fired from our tobacco-picking job in Southwestern Ontario – relief and total ambivalence.

6 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

I was at a charity event two weeks ago and one of the auction items was a motivational speech given by Bill Peters. 
I think that the winning bid was over $1,000.

Makes you wonder how the speech is going to turn out.:shock:

I'd probably ask for a refund.

19 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

While I wouldn't want to hear that @#$% music either that's a poor choice of words.  However this digital witch hunt is a bit of a joke, whatever makes people feel better about their lives.  "I would never use the N-word" grats lol?  

Its virtue signalling. It goes without saying most people wouldn't call each other horrible things. The people explicitly posting about how they wouldn't do it are just looking for virtual brownie points and pats on the back.

• Upvote 1

How many people can honestly say they have never done, or said something years ago that they regretted?

Is it right to ruin someones life a decade after the event, even though it was considered “normal”, if not entirely “good”? 

My grandmother told me one time she got drunk at the pub, drove the car home. Her parents told the police, who followed her home to make sure she didnt hit anyone. That was it. 

Should she serve jail time 80 years after the fact, if that cop puts it all over social media?

Its a terrible precedent and we should all be afraid of where this could go. 

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

How many people can honestly say they have never done, or said something years ago that they regretted?

Good point. That said, stories like these should be easy to clear up by proof of an apology at the time of incident and people around you coming out to your defence. If it turns out that you are a d!ck by many peoples accounts/recollection and not many that know you have anything positive to say, then I couldn't care less.

What comes around, goes around....sometimes along time later.  

Is it right to ruin someones life a decade after the event, even though it was considered “normal”, if not entirely “good”? 

Using racial slurs was normal 10 years ago?

My grandmother told me one time she got drunk at the pub, drove the car home. Her parents told the police, who followed her home to make sure she didnt hit anyone. That was it. 

Should she serve jail time 80 years after the fact, if that cop puts it all over social media?

That's because Model T Fords don't go fast enough to do much harm...she was driving 80 years ago? how old is gran? If she was in a pub....that puts her at least 99yrs old. Then again, we have established that she breaks laws, she could have been using a fake ID for to get into the pub.

Its a terrible precedent and we should all be afraid of where this could go. 

I'm not afraid. 

A few jerks get exposed, so what. If they are not jerks, they can defend and state their side of things.

In my world...I grew up at a time of corporal punishment at school in England. We moved before I got the strap too often. My bro got it a lot, a lot. It was acceptable at the time but to this day he tells stories. There was one teacher 'Mr Perfect' ( yep real name) that would abuse this power, really he would get off on abuse of children with this allowed violence. I 'll save the details.  To this day my brother wants to go back to find this mans grave, to urinate on it. 

I don't have problems with people being called out years later. Some deserve it. 

• Cheers 3
  • Wat 1