The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former player accuses Flames head coach Bill Peters of using racial slur -- Peters resigns

Rate this topic

10 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

What's convenient about now? Is it more or less convenient than next year? Last year? I don't get it. People don't bring things up based on other's perceived "correct" timelines. He's not gonna bring it up while his career was still alive, too much risk. 

What's more convenient a time than when you are ready?

I’m so confused. How would this not be the perfect time? I feel like we are on a Mary-go-round but I’m getting off. It’s okay that we have different opinions. :)

6 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

I’m so confused. How would this not be the perfect time? I feel like we are on a Mary-go-round but I’m getting off. It’s okay that we have different opinions. :)

So how is it the perfect time? Cause I don't think the guy is going to benefit much from this no matter when he shared it..

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

What's convenient about now? Is it more or less convenient than next year? Last year? I don't get it. People don't bring things up based on other's perceived "correct" timelines. He's not gonna bring it up while his career was still alive, too much risk. 

What's more convenient a time than when you are ready?

There are many people who still blame Aliu for causing "drama" in his time in Windsor. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/akim-aliu-hockey-hazing-big-read/

Weird that it took 10 years to come up, but maybe he was worried about backlash or something. If true, Peters should answer for his actions. Completely unacceptable behaviour if that is indeed how he referred to Aliu.

1 hour ago, #Canucks said:

Just to set the record straight, there is no room in this world for racism but the guy should have done something awhile ago if he was really hurt, not when it’s convenient for the spotlight.

Here is a juicy story about a coach and player that went on for years.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/brent-sopel-marc-crawford-canucks-coach

Sopel replied:

“He kicked me, he choked me, he grabbed the back of my jersey and pulled me back. He attacked guys personally.

to be fair Sopel choking was pretty commonplace back then.

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

So how is it the perfect time? Cause I don't think the guy is going to benefit much from this no matter when he shared it..

I think the reason he thinks it's perfect timing is because Peter's is in danger of getting fired as the flames are struggling (as of this post). With this news today, it might push Peter's over the edge and end in him getting fired (Might but in no way guaranteed). Or he would be fired anyways regardless of this.  

HOWEVER....

As "Monty" and "Down by the River" so wonderfully pointed out, the reason he could have also picked this time to come out with this story is because 

A) His hockey career is finally done, so he doesn't fear any retribution for coming out with this anymore. 

B ) He might have seen the whole situation with Marner and Babcock and got encouraged to tell his own story 

Edited by Guest

29 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Weird that it took 10 years to come up, but maybe he was worried about backlash or something. If true, Peters should answer for his actions. Completely unacceptable behaviour if that is indeed how he referred to Aliu.

Totally agree with you.

I wonder if the fact that it happened while he had a completely different employer will come in to play on this.  If he had done it during his tenure with the Flames it would be cut and dry, but because it was ten years ago within a different team's system, could he plea that he was a different person back then?  That he has changed over the years?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Totally agree with you.

I wonder if the fact that it happened while he had a completely different employer will come in to play on this.  If he had done it during his tenure with the Flames it would be cut and dry, but because it was ten years ago within a different team's system, could he plea that he was a different person back then?  That he has changed over the years?

Yeah. I'm not going to say he should be fired or anything yet. Even if it's true, given it was 10 years ago, it's possible he regrets his actions and wouldn't do the same today. Reminds me a bit of the Trudeau situation, except that was 20 years, not 10.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah. I'm not going to say he should be fired or anything yet. Even if it's true, given it was 10 years ago, it's possible he regrets his actions and wouldn't do the same today. Reminds me a bit of the Trudeau situation, except that was 20 years, not 10.

trudeau did it three times!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Brad Marchand said:

No, but you seem to think that the allegations being made public ten years later is evidence that Peters never said those things. Otherwise, why would you bring it up in the first place?

Attention.

You seem to be one of those people that believes in guilty until proven innocent.

50 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Yes I do agree, it's weird 10 years later. But today's culture has shifted the victim stigma away. He was very young then and is a grown man now.

2 hours ago, Unknown1995 said:

Why did he wait till now to bring this up? 

Because of the Babcock firing.  He tweeted:

"Not very surprising the things we’re hearing about Babcock. Apple doesn’t fall far from the Tree, same sort of deal with his protege in YYC. Dropped the N bomb several times towards me in the dressing room in my rookie year because he didn’t like my choice of music. ..."

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Unknown1995 said:

Context: Bill Peter's flames team is struggling. There is talk he might get fired. Flames GM makes a public statement defending Peters saying he is confident in him as coach. 

Today: Accusations come up that Peters made a racial slur 10 years ago. 

I totally agree with the earlier poster.

There is no room for racism in this world but Ailu should have brought this up earlier. 

Does the name Kaepernick mean anything to you?  He tried to stood up against injustice and never played a single game in the NFL again.  When you're a rookie trying to make your place in the NHL many young player just put up and shut up, hoping they can get through it and not get blacklisted.

The same reason why raped and abused victims don't speak up for years, they are afraid, scare nobody will listen, scared to look like a whiner.  Yes, they should always bring that stuff up immediately......easier said than done!

I think the message here is that he spoke up, doesn't matter when he did it.

Edited by timberz21
  • Upvote 3

Peters did not talk to media after the game but Treliving did.  Transcript via NBC Sports:

“During tonight’s game I was made aware of a tweet from former player Akim Aliu. Obviously we were playing so I haven’t had a chance to sit down with Bill, or our people internally, to talk about this and get to the bottom of it. I would say we take these matters very, very seriously. Until such time as we have a chance to speak about it internally, we obviously wanted to address you people. We are aware of it. We were made aware of it during the game this evening. I haven’t had a chance to talk to Bill, I will be doing that. Until such time we will not have any further comment on it. We will address it and get back to you once we have a chance to speak internally.”

Edited by mll

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

Does the name Kaepernick mean anything to you?  He tried to stood up against injustice and never played a single game in the NFL again.  When you're a rookie trying to make your place in the NHL many young player just put up and shut up, hoping they can get through it and not get blacklisted.

The same reason why raped and abused victims don't speak up for years, they are afraid, scare nobody will listen, scared to look like a whiner.  Yes, they should always bring that stuff up immediately......easier said than done!

I think the message here is that he spoke up, doesn't matter when he did it.

Looks like he not only did stand up for himself, he got buried as a result.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Baer. said:

Attention.

You seem to be one of those people that believes in guilty until proven innocent.

Nope, I just find it weird that he would go to such lengths to discredit the alleged victim.

Why not let the process play out instead of immediately judging someone based on when they decide they want to come forward with their allegations?

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Unknown1995 said:

I understand why he didn't speak about it earlier when he still had a career. His NHL career has been dead for a while now, he could have said anything between now and then but didn't. 

you're hung up on this idea of timing. Who cares if he needed to wait until his playing career was over? maybe things have also changed to where he thinks someone will finally listen to him too. Maybe he's thinking of becoming a coach, wasn't sure if coming forward would kill his career. Who knows? But its his right to speak up when he wants to.

Not sure what point you're actually trying to make. 

• Upvote 2