The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former player accuses Flames head coach Bill Peters of using racial slur -- Peters resigns

Rate this topic

14 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

he had a global segment, where he talks about this and when he was a player that he became a bully himself, because of the hockey culture during that time

"I read this story out of st. mike's college where a player was abused with a broomstick" thats pretty ****ed up

hazing and bullying was the norm in most male sporting cultures until very recently - it wasn't just hockey.  I went through it in university.

• Upvote 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

Managing just fine.  Haven't done anything to Peters and won't be doing so.  Ironically, Peters could probably use some anger management classes before applying at Mickey D's.

You would almost think you knew him personally.

3 hours ago, samurai said:

there is a famous book called the Civilizing Process which looks the slow evolution of it in the west, from views about basic manners to violence.  This theme is carried on in Pinter's book Better Angels of our Nature.  The latter references the former a lot.   Basically, the trends show that humans are over time becoming more civilized so to speak.  The former book is a masterpiece in research and writing.

What we are seeing now starting with 'me too' or even earlier with the pc movement in the 90s is that a lot of the things that were deemed acceptable in the 80s and 90s or at least looked over are now amoral or criminal.   I look back at my life growing up in the 70s and 80s and into the 90s and can be quite amazed at how loose things were.  Students in my day could smoke at junior high school.  My nephew told me that he has never seen a fist fight at school - he is in grade 11.

Besides younger generations calling out those older standards/customs there is another stream to it.  As appears to be in the case of Akim there seems to be a mindset that their failures are due to external variables and not their own, and that everyone should be entitled to success.  Again there is a well known book on this called ' Everyone wins'.   The younger generations seem to think that winning or being successful in the fame and fortune game is a right and any thing short of this is some kind of social injustice.  I have seen this many times.   Social justice in the west now seems to apply now to being successful at a celebrity level.  It has also been demonstrated that younger generations seem to see themselves as victims  more so than other generations.  Years ago I read a paper that looked at essays students had to write as part of their entrance test requirements for entering a prestigious university in the States.  The paper looked at the fact that an alarmingly number of the topics in the essay focused on victimization experiences.

What has of course magnified all of this is social media.

Aliu does not put all the blame for his failures at the feet of others. He has frequently stated that he made mistakes and that he holds himself accountable for those mistakes. It is his belief that his dream of making it in to the NHL was in part derailed by him speaking about the hazing incident. This is a perfectly justified view based on the quotes that I posted. Aliu gained a reputation of being a "problem" for refusing to participate in hazing. This directly impacted the opportunities available to him. Success and opportunity have a direct correlation especially in hockey where coaches control how much time one gets on the ice and in which situations (zone starts).

Edited by Toews
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Toews said:

Aliu does not put all the blame for his failures at the feet of others. He has frequently stated that he made mistakes and that he holds himself accountable for those mistakes. It is his belief that his dream of making it in to the NHL was in part derailed by him speaking about the hazing incident. This is a perfectly justified view based on the quotes that I posted. Aliu gained a reputation of being a "problem" for refusing to participate in hazing. This directly impacted the opportunities available to him. Success and opportunity have a direct correlation especially in hockey where coaches control how much time one gets on the ice and in which situations (zone starts).

He also directly blamed Peters. Coaches can impact opportunities but not as much as players can when they are on the ice.  There is a plethora of ‘problem’ players who made the pros.  The response today from Aliu’s agent suggests that he might be looking for money.

1 hour ago, samurai said:

hazing and bullying was the norm in most male sporting cultures until very recently - it wasn't just hockey.  I went through it in university.

So just because it's done in other places, it makes it right??  And it was OK in the past so it should be OK to not bring it up??

I'm not following your logic here.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, samurai said:

He also directly blamed Peters. Coaches can impact opportunities but not as much as players can when they are on the ice.  There is a plethora of ‘problem’ players who made the pros.  The response today from Aliu’s agent suggests that he might be looking for money.

It could be that he's looking for a payday.  Or perhaps he's being careful so as to not be liable for slander?

It's clear that Peter's lawyer-ed up.  Perhaps it's best Aliu to do the same.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, samurai said:

Don't blame him. Peters was the one that had Aliu sent to the ECHL not based off of performance but for disciplinary purposes. Rich for a guy that uses racial slurs in front of his subordinates, why shouldn't Aliu take issue with that? Peters did not feel like he had to inform his superiors about his own conduct but feels justified in complaining about a player's conduct? I hope the players assaulted by Peters also the sue him, they too deserve recompense for being assaulted by their superior.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Toews said:

Don't blame him. Peters was the one that had Aliu sent to the ECHL not based off of performance but for disciplinary purposes. Rich for a guy that uses racial slurs in front of his subordinates, why shouldn't Aliu take issue with that? Peters did not feel like he had to inform his superiors about his own conduct but feels justified in complaining about a player's conduct? I hope the players assaulted by Peters also the sue him, they too deserve recompense for being assaulted by their superior.

I believe a statute of limitations applies here. 

16 minutes ago, samurai said:

It is a statement of fact.  

Ok.

So we agree that it happened in a lot of different places.

So moving forward, what should be done?  I think the discussion it's  raising is a good start.

1 hour ago, BPA said:

What gets me is that none of this stuff would be OK in the "real world" but, for some people, its OK since its sports.

Exactly, that’s why ANY person who has said anything mean or done something hurtful within the last 30 years, that is not publicly acceptable today, should be punished. They should lose their job, degrees, and/or company and be publicly shamed. 

Edited by Standing_Tall#37
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

30 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Exactly, that’s why ANY person who has said anything mean or done something hurtful within the last 30 years, that is not publicly acceptable today, should be punished. They should lose their job, degrees, and/or company and be publicly shamed. 

in junior high school a teacher said I would amount to nothing - should I out him for hurting my feelings. 

4 hours ago, samurai said:

Being a victim is how many people now cope with reality. 

I really don't want to believe this is the case, but perhaps it is. 

I think this shift in our society is definitely for the better. I was picked on growing up, I think being rejected at young age has a massive impact on how people view the world & grow mentally as they get older, I think things that happen when your younger as far as rejection are life changers. But at the same time there has to some acknowledgement that life is inherently unfair. 

Like I said, I think this shift is definitely for the better, but the concern for me now is we are getting too caught up in 'groups'. Lets view people as individuals no matter what the background of the person is. Its important for our society to function correctly that we don't get too caught up in the group politics, and that we don't throw due process out the window.

3 hours ago, Monty said:

Absolutely.

I have nothing against the guy, but I just have a hard time when guys seem to just tweet without really taking a break, and then end it with, “More to come.” 

Its a hypocritical for Dan to have been an example of all the things he now rails against, while not being willing to give others a second chance. 

I'm not saying anyone in particular, not saying Peters, but just in general. He was an example of the things he's now an 'activist' against. He's apologized & been embraced, that opportunity should exist for others. He should be an example for people who grew up in a different social climate to be able to change with the times. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, samurai said:

in junior high school a teacher said I would amount to nothing - should I out him for hurting my feelings. ,

In grade 9 (back in ‘96), my home room teacher told me as I picked up my final report card on the last day of school, that if I took S Level (the highest at the time) English in high school, I’d fail out of it. Then said, “You won’t get to university.”

He was a massive d*ck. But I also used that as motivation to prove him wrong. Which I most certainly did. By the time I was in grade 12, English was actually my strongest subject, graduating with an A+.

It wasn’t until I was an adult that I told my mom about it. Not because I was upset. It was more in passing because I thought she already knew about it. Not surprisingly, she was very upset about it. I told her, “I’m not. I think he’s dead now :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2