The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former player accuses Flames head coach Bill Peters of using racial slur -- Peters resigns

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

But Peters is wrong and should be reprimanded. Trudeau effectively gets a free pass because insert some nonsensical argument here.

One is a privately owned franchise. 

The other is a publicly elected government.  Collectively as a country, there were more people that gave Trudeau the 'pass' on the blackface issue than there were those opposed to it.  Therefore, he got back into his position.  Simple as that.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Hasn't changed his behavior based on what? The complete absence of evidence he has dropped an N bomb since in any context?

what kind of apology did he provide to Aliu, or other black players? nothing. 

what kind of actions has he taken since, kicking players on the bench? 

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

His career is probably over too; nobody is going to hire him again. 

Begs the question.. is what he did really worthy of such punishment? 

This was a career ender years and years ago.

John Vanbiesbrouck was a promising coach and boom, it was all over and he never coached again.

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what kind of apology did he provide to Aliu, or other black players? nothing. 

what kind of actions has he taken since, kicking players on the bench? 

He was fired over the Aliu remarks - regarding his music - not the individual. That was it. He apologized the other day. Whether or not you, they, them, whoever found it sufficient is irrelevant. Some people simply will never forgive. 

This idea he's some bigoted, racist asshole who should be fired and never work in the NHL again has no basis. But if this is the route society is starting to go, I do hope the same for you one day. What goes around comes around as they say.

13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

One is a privately owned franchise. 

The other is a publicly elected government.  Collectively as a country, there were more people that gave Trudeau the 'pass' on the blackface issue than there were those opposed to it.  Therefore, he got back into his position.  Simple as that.

Yes, exactly my point. Illogical. Including those in this thread: we're upset over what Peters did and he should get fired over one particular instance but Trudeau should get a free pass because even though what he did was 'much worse'  and he repeated it numerous times..

Still waiting how to hear different reactions and treatments here from the overly sensitive liberal crowd make any &^@#ing sense. 

Edited by Tortorella's Rant
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Former player accuses Flames head coach Bill Peters of using racial slur -- Peters resigns
8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

except it whiffs on the concept of responsibility. Peters (as we all are) is responsible for his actions. Of course we all &^@# up, but you are also judged on your behaviour after and things you may have done to set things right. Doesn't seem like Peters did anything to change his odd behaviour in the last 10 years, and I don't see much of an apology for the Aliu incident. 

But doesn't it also beg the question if he is a crappy coach and crappy person, how did he keep getting hired? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that assumes there's a system in place that allows you to do that. When this incident happened the option was speak up and get blackballed or suck it up. Some people can do the latter but given the chance to get your story out I can see why Aliu took it now. 

I do think all of this is going to lead to a better development environment for the kids trying to make it, and most of them are/were just kids when these sorts of things went on. 

Underlined:

im speaking about creating your own system

bolded:  this is a good point.  Kids are too young to empower themselves solely.  It takes some guidance for that.  I feel this needs to start at a young age.  Every avenue should be taken to embolden our children to have self confidence so that the need for approval doesn’t have to come from other people.  Kids and adults for that matter should be able to feel self secure in various aspects of their lives so that when something goes awry in one area there are other sources of strength to draw from.

• Cheers 1

live stream of Treliving's press conference here....looks like Peters has resigned?

Tre looks like  a genuinely good guy...not a good situation to deal with, he got emotional a few times during the press conference

Edited by Darius
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I said earlier in the thread that I understand the sentiments as to why he would keep quiet... didn't want to get black listed as a coach killer etc. But I still think this is extreme.

Bill Peter's career is over because of a mistake 10 years ago. 

I dunno.... society is soft..racism is wrong but society is soft. Two ends of the spectrum.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I said earlier in the thread that I understand the sentiments as to why he would keep quiet... didn't want to get black listed as a coach killer etc. But I still think this is extreme.

Bill Peter's career is over because of a mistake 10 years ago. 

I dunno.... society is soft..racism is wrong but society is soft. Two ends of the spectrum.

This is such an illogical post. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Darius said:

live stream of Treliving's press conference here....looks like Peters has resigned?

Tre looks like  a genuinely good guy...not a good situation to deal with, he got emotional a few times during the press conference

Treviling is a very bright man, as proven by this press conference. I have to give him credit for methodically addressing the issue with Peters and not immediately giving in to the rabid cries for Peters’ head. 

Doing a thorough examination of the situation shows Brad’s commitment to the truth and due process. Thank goodness there are some levelheaded people in society still that think instead of reacting. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Qwags said:

I think people are missing the fact that Peters was giving a chance to apologize, but instead gave a half-assed. passive aggressive response.

Even if he apologized wholeheartedly, there was almost no way for him to keep his job. It has blown up beyond control and it has been a NHL PR disaster. Furthermore, many people would point to the apology (sincere or not) as him apologizing because he got caught.

Edited by Dazzle

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Even if he apologized wholeheartedly, there was almost no way for him to keep his job. It has blown up beyond control and it has been a NHL PR disaster. Furthermore, many people would point to the apology (sincere or not) as him apologizing because he got caught.

Who apologizes for something they haven't yet been accused of?