The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former player accuses Flames head coach Bill Peters of using racial slur -- Peters resigns

Rate this topic

Perfect coach for that sad sack of crap city. The young man showed a lot of courage coming forward and I hope Peters has to answer for it. It's an abuse of authority really by Peters. Saying something like that to a young kid who really is in no postion to defend himself. Thats what I dislike the most.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, smokes said:

Ten years ago? And this isn't even on video or anything, just he said he said. Racism is wrong but isn't this the land where someone is innocent till proven guilty? Even the law has a statutue of limitations.

We're moving away from this notion we've held dearly for so long. All it takes is an accusation nowadays to potentially ruin your career, possibly your way of life. I feel for Akim if it's true but these things must be proven because the alternative is even worse..

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, smokes said:

Ten years ago? And this isn't even on video or anything, just he said he said. Racism is wrong but isn't this the land where someone is innocent till proven guilty? Even the law has a statutue of limitations.

for sure we need to hear Peters side of this before making some sort of judgment. 

It does speak to character tho if true, even if some sort of 'limit' has passed. 

The focus on timing is fascinating, like somehow it makes it less bad if a person waits to come forward. There's no big reward waiting for the vast majority of whistle blowers, its quite the opposite. There's a lot of legit reasons people wait. In fact it could work in Peters favour, if he has no history of being a doofus since it lends credibility to his side. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, smokes said:

Statute of limitation is a legal concept.  Even if Peters cannot be found guilty by the courts, doesn't mean there aren't any moral and ethical dilemma.

The NFL and MLB hands out punishment for domestic violence even though most of them are never found guilty by the legal system.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

We're moving away from this notion we've held dearly for so long. All it takes is an accusation nowadays to potentially ruin your career, possibly your way of life. I feel for Akim if it's true but these things must be proven because the alternative is even worse..

In total agreeance. It would be very unfortunate if it turns out to be true, but until the time comes where ACTUAL EVIDENCE is provided, this is merely the words of one person on another. That's it. I can't take it seriously until the burden of proof is provided.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

In total agreeance. It would be very unfortunate if it turns out to be true, but until the time comes where ACTUAL EVIDENCE is provided, this is merely the words of one person on another. That's it. I can't take it seriously until the burden of proof is provided.

the only proof you could have (assuming no one was recording something) would be anther nearby player coming forward and saying they heard Peters say it. I'm sure thats what the Flames and Peters are going over, trying to get him to remember who else was in the room at the time. 

1 hour ago, YummyCakeFace said:

I hope he’s not insinuating Peters choice in words is the reason his career went nowhere. 

This doesn't seem to be the case. His comments were related to the news about Babcock, as Peters used to work with him. He was pointing out a personal experience showing that that some coaches are not respectful to players at all.

It's also a convenient way to get back at Peters, with the attention on him over whether he will keep his job.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the only proof you could have (assuming no one was recording something) would be anther nearby player coming forward and saying they heard Peters say it.

Even then, the veracity of the statement, after so many years, would need to be questioned.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm sure thats what the Flames and Peters are going over, trying to get him to remember who else was in the room at the time. 

And they'll hope that he can reach back that far to remember? Yikes.

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Even then, the veracity of the statement, after so many years, would need to be questioned.

why? its not like trying to remember and old postal code or phone number. If you were standing in the locker next to this incident, I bet you'd remember a coach using the n-word on a player. It would be an attention grabber. 

If a former player came forward and said yeah, I did hear that happen, then thats pretty solid to me. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why? its not like trying to remember and old postal code or phone number. If you were standing in the locker next to this incident, I bet you'd remember a coach using the n-word on a player. It would be an attention grabber. 

Because of the time passed. Recollection is a funny thing.

Take out the clearly negative and hurtful connotation that the phrase generates, and look at it as two people on definite opposing sides of an incident. Each person will commit to memory a different angle and, over time, that perception will be altered.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If a former player came forward and said yeah, I did hear that happen, then thats pretty solid to me. 

I'd hope that they would be able to provide more quantifiable evidence than "yeah, I heard that".

10 hours ago, Unknown1995 said:

I think the reason he thinks it's perfect timing is because Peter's is in danger of getting fired as the flames are struggling (as of this post). With this news today, it might push Peter's over the edge and end in him getting fired (Might but in no way guaranteed). Or he would be fired anyways regardless of this.  

HOWEVER....

As "Monty" and "Down by the River" so wonderfully pointed out, the reason he could have also picked this time to come out with this story is because 

A) His hockey career is finally done, so he doesn't fear any retribution for coming out with this anymore. 

B ) He might have seen the whole situation with Marner and Babcock and got encouraged to tell his own story 

Makes sense, but I still don't get the "perfect time" comment. Perfect for who??

Yeah he's in danger of being fired and maybe that is why Aliu decided to disclose this information now, but what's so wrong with that? Maybe Peters could try not being a racist bigot and then it wouldn't be a problem.

10 hours ago, Darkstar said:

Exactly. People here are absolutely insane. People tend to forget that the NHL is a rich, white-mans league. Aliu is out of hockey now so he doesn't care, but he obviously wanted a professional career, and you can easily be blackballed if you rat out your coach/GM. This also happened around 2008, which was a different time. 

Bill Peters comes across as a you know what. The way he treated Eddie Lack, and his general demeanor make me side with Aliu on this one.

I think he'll be fired.

Edit: Think of it this way. This whole Marner situation didn't come out until yesterday. I know it's not the same as racism, but you can make the same point of why Marner didn't bring this up back in 2017. It's a complicated subject, especially when it comes to professional hockey players making millions of dollars. I'm sure there's a lot more skeletons in this league that are much worse than these two situations.

he could be fired, but by Aliu's words he said it happened 10 years ago. something is really fishy about the whole thing.  I wonder how he is going to prove it 

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Because of the time passed. Recollection is a funny thing.

Take out the clearly negative and hurtful connotation that the phrase generates, and look at it as two people on definite opposing sides of an incident. Each person will commit to memory a different angle and, over time, that perception will be altered.

I'd hope that they would be able to provide more quantifiable evidence than "yeah, I heard that".

but you can't take out the clearly negative and hurtful part of using the n-word. Its something that everyone in our culture knows it was wrong for Peters to use - if he used it - and it would be a memorable incident for many people in the area of it. Its the hurtful and negative part that makes it memorable. 

Recollection and eye witness testimony is very unreliable for sure. But in this incident we wouldn't need anyone to remember the timing, where it occurred, what someone looked like, etc. just if a particular phrase was used. Its actually pretty straightforward imo. 

What other evidence would you expect for a conversation in a locker room other than people saying they heard it?