The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former player accuses Flames head coach Bill Peters of using racial slur -- Peters resigns

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

I’m not surprised by this outcome but I think it’s going to be bad for professional hockey, what happens in the locker room is supposed to stay there. 

Screw that though, honestly. It's one thing to say it when there's nothing really bad happening in the locker room, but it sets a terrible precedent for when something serious does happen.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jackofwind said:

Screw that though, honestly. It's one thing to say it when there's nothing really bad happening in the locker room, but it sets a terrible precedent for when something serious does happen.

I have to agree with you here.  If we don’t want online mob mentality then we also don’t want locker room mob mentality.  Locker rooms are meant for teams.  Every member of that team should feel safe/included.  Can conversations/jokes get questionable? Sure.  It’s always been that way and probably always will depending on who is in the room.  But that is different than a place of intimidation and  abuse.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

I’m not surprised by this outcome but I think it’s going to be bad for professional hockey, what happens in the locker room is supposed to stay there. 

Does that saying still apply when that boy got sodomized with a broomstick by his teammates in the locker room of his school?

• Upvote 1

On 11/25/2019 at 11:32 PM, Baer. said:

Attention.

You seem to be one of those people that believes in guilty until proven innocent.

Then wouldn’t you claiming he’s doing it for “attention” be believing akim aliu guilty until proven innocent?!

I think everyone should have an opportunity to explain themselves. Waiting until now could be due to waiting until his career was over, finally having the courage seeing others speak out, or yeah attention. These things should be addressed when they happen but not everyone knows how to address them when they happen and sometimes they put you in shock when they do. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, gerry35 said:

So all you that are outraged over Bill Peters conduct 10 years ago why did you vote for Justin Trudeau when there is a lot more evidence of racism with him? 

Lol, you are assuming the same people who voted for him have the same stance on the Peter's incident.  Black face at a costume party in the 80-90s, looks stupid, but not uncommon and most people don't think it was offensive then. Even the brown people at the party didn't mind, according to interviews of those who attended.  His policies are very inclusive, including his cabinet, and people saw his actions as a PM. He apologized and ask for forgiveness. Some voters did, and enough of them did to re-elect the party. 

Peter's incdient is locker room stuff 10 yrs ago.  I don't care at all.  Not a flames fan.  NHL and them can deal with it.  They decided that it was bad for business, and he got canned or forced to resign.   A professional league can decide what they will accept. You can decided whether or not to support them with your money. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, gerry35 said:

So all you that are outraged over Bill Peters conduct 10 years ago why did you vote for Justin Trudeau when there is a lot more evidence of racism with him? 

Trudeau went to a dress up / costume party, he went as the Character “Aladdin”..

It wasn’t meant to be a derogatory statement.

Yes.. not politically correct, but he wasn’t in politics then.

You can’t compare.

If you can , then show it , other than making an off the wall statement.

Im sure your Face Book has been profiled and targeted like many of us here.

7 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Trudeau went to a dress up / costume party, he went as the Character “Aladdin”..

It wasn’t meant to be a derogatory statement.

Yes.. not politically correct, but he wasn’t in politics then.

You can’t compare.

If you can , then show it , other than making an off the wall statement.

Im sure your Face Book has been profiled and targeted like many of us here.

uhhhhh

Trudeau painted his whole body black and threw on a curly wig and danced like an idiot

Then there was a previous one

the Aladdin one wasn't the incident he was referring to

43 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I have to agree with you here.  If we don’t want online mob mentality then we also don’t want locker room mob mentality.  Locker rooms are meant for teams.  Every member of that team should feel safe/included.  Can conversations/jokes get questionable? Sure.  It’s always been that way and probably always will depending on who is in the room.  But that is different than a place of intimidation and  abuse.

Hopefully Rule now is if you pick music and play it out loud with any sort of word like this, you're held accountable for it and removed from team. 

*Not justifying Peters*

I know I've felt super comfortable with some explicit music dropping words like that in the past, there's zero need for it...and people blaring that in their car with windows down next to my toddler should damn near be a fine and impounding of car.

Edited by shad0w4life

35 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Lol, you are assuming the same people who voted for him have the same stance on the Peter's incident.  Black face at a costume party in the 80-90s, looks stupid, but not uncommon and most people don't think it was offensive then. Even the brown people at the party didn't mind, according to interviews of those who attended.  His policies are very inclusive, including his cabinet, and people saw his actions as a PM. He apologized and ask for forgiveness. Some voters did, and enough of them did to re-elect the party. 

Peter's incdient is locker room stuff 10 yrs ago.  I don't care at all.  Not a flames fan.  NHL and them can deal with it.  They decided that it was bad for business, and he got canned or forced to resign.   A professional league can decide what they will accept. You can decided whether or not to support them with your money. 

What about Trudeau's criminal acts when he was pressuring his Attorney General to drop a case that was  being investigated?  Trudeau is a criminal yet the public chose to re elect him lol.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/14/trudeau-broke-ethics-law-in-snc-lavalin-case-watchdog-rules

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, jackofwind said:

Exactly. Because we have evidence of absolutely appalling things happening to young players in locker rooms. If you cultivate a culture where coaches and/or veterans are treated like gods and behave like tyrants and there is no room for young players to speak out without being punished then you're opening the door to a very dark place.

We're not talking about unsavory jokes, ribbing about getting laid, or laughing when guys choke on their first mouthful of chew. We're talking about kids getting stripped and humiliated, getting spat and pissed on, getting sodomized with broom handles and left in closets, getting tied up naked and left at center ice. These are things that we know have happened, and these are the things that won't get reported in a "don't ask don't tell, boys will be boys, give your balls a tug, leave it in the locker room" culture.

That's simply not an acceptable thing to allow.

That didn't happen to Aliu.

Some harsh and unacceptable words were used 10 years ago against him. Aliu now wants cash because that will make him feel better.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

What about Trudeau's criminal acts when he was pressuring his Attorney General to drop a case that was  being investigated?  Trudeau is a criminal yet the public chose to re elect him lol.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/14/trudeau-broke-ethics-law-in-snc-lavalin-case-watchdog-rules

find the right thread please. You will find the answers to your question there.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

That didn't happen to Aliu.

Some harsh and unacceptable words were used 10 years ago against him. Aliu now wants cash because that will make him feel better.

That's what's called a strawman and is a logical fallacy. As such it doesn't even bear taking the time to actually refute.

Try harder next time.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1