The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former player accuses Flames head coach Bill Peters of using racial slur -- Peters resigns

Rate this topic

9 hours ago, rekker said:

I respect the young man for coming forward. But if he turns it into a cash grab, and an excuse for why he didn't have an NHL career. I will lose all respect for him. 

Of course he's gonna go full Kaepernick... Kaepernick even got money despite being offered an NFL contract from the Ravens... which was rescinded may I remind you because his girlfriend called the owner a POS.

That being said, I never had much respect for what Kaepernick did outside of his silent protest, Aliu probably deserves some form of compensation, but an NHL careers worth? Nah, don't think so.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, canuckster19 said:

Of course he's gonna go full Kaepernick... Kaepernick even got money despite being offered an NFL contract from the Ravens... which was rescinded may I remind you because his girlfriend called the owner a POS.

That being said, I never had much respect for what Kaepernick did outside of his silent protest, Aliu probably deserves some form of compensation, but an NHL careers worth? Nah, don't think so.

Yip, Aliu received an apology from Peters. Peters life is changed forever and is out millions. Aliu has helped change hockey culture for the better and this is good. He should drop the mic now and leave the spotlight on a high note. Unlike Kaepernic who is embarrassing himself. 

Edited by rekker
  • Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Seems ok to me.

But the "metoo" generation will be offended and get lawyers if that happens these days it seems. Sad really.

That's a little different than singling someone out for their race and using derogatory names to somehow make them feel inferior.

An entire team bag skating after having a huge breakfast together is a shared punishment that singles no one out.  Making them skate hard...probably a little unsafe if it was immediately after eating, but if 20 minutes or so had passed, nothing to see here

The old sticks and stones may break my bones but names can never hurt me might be ok for a one off.  But if your entire life you've been subjected to it, it sticks.  It does hurt because self esteem and confidence go hand in hand with mental health.  Verbal abuse can wreak havoc on a person over time.  If the mind is suffering then at some point the body will follow - stress is pretty hard on the system.

Again...context offers that the past has some ugly smears and, at one time, the Archie Bunkers of the world had TV shows that people laughed at and that behaviour was accepted.  But as we evolve as human beings, we're learning.  This is part of that.  

While a coach is supposed to teach those under their direction, maybe some of them had some learning to do.  Again...some people in positions of power let that get to their head and, in turn, start messing with others' heads.  Coaches and teachers shouldn't have to really inflict suffering on their pupils in order to get production out of them..generally, that backfires.  And if you don't feel that verbal abuse fits the bill then you maybe haven't had to live it on a regular basis.  You start to lose yourself and believe you're worthless over time...you buy in.  There's shame when it's done in front of others.  Maybe you give up on your dreams because it isn't worth the pain.  And it is painful to use race to make others feel inferior.  We know that now, even if in the past it's been ignored.

I have mixed feelings about disciplinary actions years after the fact but here's what is the deciding factor for me.  If someone's used tactics like that then they really aren't suited to coaching anyhow...you have to find better ways to motivate people and so relieving them of their duties ensures they aren't in that role anymore.  Because if they had the inclination to do that then, that's probably rooted in who they are and some of it'll slide out again.  These guys had good careers but if it's been at the expense of others...don't let the door hit you on the way out.  

Suing?  Not really on board with that but, well, it happens.  It's the climate we live in now (sadly).  I think losing a job and having this exposed in a glaring light is punishment enough.  But compensating others if we've "damaged" them is part of it so make sure you don't do anything that fits that bill.  Part of holding your head high with dignity is knowing where to draw the line between compensation and "revenge".  If you want to completely destroy someone who's done you wrong it's sort of following in their footsteps.  

Pushing others down may fire them up and even get the result you want in the moment but, over time, that stuff sticks with them.  That fire burns them out.  And it's likely more a way for someone to try to feel powerful than really teaching someone else in a constructive way.  Coaches who need anger management and conflict resolution skills when they're not getting the results they want in life.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, gerry35 said:

this should have been handled behind closed doors with Peter's and Aliu talking it out like grown men. He could have stated his case and Peter's could have apologised in person and settled it.  Instead the race card got played on twitter and causing more division.

This is part of that very culture that perpetuates racism though.

"Grown men" aren't determined through accepting abusive behaviour.  Actually, it's more grown man in my view to stand up to it.  Especially with people of power with groups propping them up by turning a blind eye to it.  The strength in numbers versus the little guy.

The race card was played by Peters, not Aliu.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

This is part of that very culture that perpetuates racism though.

"Grown men" aren't determined through accepting abusive behaviour.  Actually, it's more grown man in my view to stand up to it.  Especially with people of power with groups propping them up by turning a blind eye to it.  The strength in numbers versus the little guy.

The race card was played by Peters, not Aliu.

I think his point is a man doesn’t have to ruin another man over some words when said men can hash it out in person as an option.

everyone is different though.

10 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I think his point is a man doesn’t have to ruin another man over some words when said men can hash it out in person as an option.

everyone is different though.

Thing is, though...that man is more likely to carry on, business as usual, if it's a face to face, closed door thing.  Sure yeah ok sorry, bye.  

And I don't know that someone who's been cruel and abusive needs to be afforded that luxury.  If they haven't found it within themselves to do it unprompted it seems a little insincere at best to be prodded into it.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thing is, though...that man is more likely to carry on, business as usual, if it's a face to face thing.  Sure yeah ok sorry, bye.  

And I don't know that someone who's been cruel and abusive needs to be afforded that luxury.  If they haven't found it within themselves to do it unprompted.  Seems a little insincere at best.

Possibly in this instance - and most likely.

my point is society doesn’t have to go from:

mean words to life ruining in the blink of a Twitter.

26 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thing is, though...that man is more likely to carry on, business as usual, if it's a face to face, closed door thing.  Sure yeah ok sorry, bye.  

And I don't know that someone who's been cruel and abusive needs to be afforded that luxury.  If they haven't found it within themselves to do it unprompted it seems a little insincere at best to be prodded into it.

I’m not a behaviourist, but I wonder what these people, who are this abusive with strong young males, might be like with those who are vulnerable, like the elderly, children, and animals?  How will they behave, when under stress, with those who can’t fight back?

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Here is former Nux Anson Carter's take a few days ago.  He should have stayed with nux and played with Sedins. But that's a different story. 

This is good, a reaction from someone who's actually experienced racism while trying to make the make his way to professional hockey. 

Thanks for posting. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, canuckster19 said:

Don't think Aliu and Kaepernick is comparable to what you are indicating. 

Kaepernick was a starting quarterback before being blackballed.  Aliu barely got a sniff in the NHL.   

Not entirely sure if Peters destroyed his career.  Not everyone is going to make it to the NHL.  Maybe he could have had a decent AHL career but he bounced around a few different organizations (from wiki) so perhaps his play was not up to snuff.

• Upvote 1

I don't know that you guys are seeing an important point in this.

It doesn't matter if he had the skill to make it or not...if he somehow felt uneasy in even trying and was buried somewhere because of someone's agenda that appears to be, at least in part, due to racism then we'll/he'll never really know.  As a human being, he had a right to give it a go like anyone else.

The fact is that someone who was supposed to be a mentor and teach him may have driven him into the ground.  And now, in turn, that's being reciprocated (even if I don't agree with "killing two birds with one stone").

But if you're that little guy who's trying to make it and come up against a wall of power that branches off into racism, it may impede your progress and really trample on your confidence and self esteem - some of the stuff necessary to make it.  Your mental game has to be strong and these coaches can be intimidating.

I don't agree with ruining another man over it...but he's not really responsible for that.  He's simply exposing what happened and never should have.

I hate lawsuits and ten years after the fact stuff.  But I do feel they're necessary in a zero tolerance way and setting the tone that, moving forward, this simply is not acceptable.  And is serious.  Plus, it can help the person with a sense of healing and empowerment in taking back the dignity that's been stripped of them.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't know that you guys are seeing an important point in this.

It doesn't matter if he had the skill to make it or not...if he somehow felt uneasy in even trying and was buried somewhere because of someone's agenda that appears to be, at least in part, due to racism then we'll/he'll never really know.  As a human being, he had a right to give it a go like anyone else.

The fact is that someone who was supposed to be a mentor and teach him may have driven him into the ground.  And now, in turn, that's being reciprocated (even if I don't agree with "killing two birds with one stone").

But if you're that little guy who's trying to make it and come up against a wall of power that branches off into racism, it may impede your progress and really trample on your confidence and self esteem - some of the stuff necessary to make it.  Your mental game has to be strong and these coaches can be intimidating.

I don't agree with ruining another man over it...but he's not really responsible for that.  He's simply exposing what happened and never should have.

I hate lawsuits and ten years after the fact stuff.  But I do feel they're necessary in a zero tolerance way and setting the tone that, moving forward, this simply is not acceptable.  And is serious.  Plus, it can help the person with a sense of healing and empowerment in taking back the dignity that's been stripped of them.

I can agree with Peters termination / resignation.  But it's a grey area of saying Aliu would have had a blossoming NHL career. 

Some compensation should be awarded for the indignity Aliu had to endure.  But I don't think it needs to be massive as there is no guarantee he would been a full time NHLer.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

I can agree with Peters termination / resignation.  But it's a grey area of saying Aliu would have had a blossoming NHL career. 

Some compensation should be awarded for the indignity Aliu had to endure.  But I don't think it needs to be massive as there is no guarantee he would been a full time NHLer.

I agree 100%

23 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Well, I look at the bigger picture. I look at the content of character and how people behave over the course of their career or whatever scale it is. 

Do I think Bill Peters is a racist piece of garbage? No. There's no history of behavior indicating otherwise. Were his comments regarding Akim' music regrettable? Sure. Should he be fired over such an indiscretion? Certainly not. 

Do I think Trudeau is a racist piece of garbage? No. His character and policies towards minorities and immigrants says otherwise. Was his moments of blackface regrettable? Obviously. Should he resign as PM over that? No.

It's real simple when you're consistent on such things. People around here should learn to try being consistent.. 

Aren't you being a little self righteous? How the heck did our idiot embarrassment of a PM get dragged into this? This is a hockey thread. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I’m not a behaviourist, but I wonder what these people, who are this abusive with strong young males, might be like with those who are vulnerable, like the elderly, children, and animals?  How will they behave, when under stress, with those who can’t fight back?

Says Alf, a cat eater, lol.

4 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

So Bill Peters has resigned as the Calgary Flames head coach.

i guess that makes the NHL more accountable than Canadian politics.

He resigned so he can keep his pay.  That's why he wasn't fired. 

Liberals lost the majority. But what does your political beef got to do with the NHL?  Totally sidetracked. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1