Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

Former player accuses Flames head coach Bill Peters of using racial slur -- Peters resigns

Rate this topic

27 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

He resigned so he can keep his pay.  That's why he wasn't fired. 

Liberals lost the majority. But what does your political beef got to do with the NHL?  Totally sidetracked. 

Isn’t the other way around? He forfeits money by resigning but would’ve been paid had he been fired, if I’m not mistaken. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Isn’t the other way around? He forfeits money by resigning but would’ve been paid had he been fired, if I’m not mistaken. 

I can't imagine a scenario where anyone gets to resign and then walk away with their money... although that's basically what Loui Eriksson has done. 

• Haha 2

Ron Francis speaks to the issue:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/francis-says-he-told-canes-brass-about-abuse-allegations-toward-peters/ar-BBXzTRC?ocid=spartandhp

"

It appears that someone might not be telling the truth.

Ron Francis said Saturday that during his tenure as Carolina Hurricanes general manager, he was made aware of physical incidents involving two players and then-Hurricanes coach Bill Peters. Francis says he took immediate action and briefed ownership.

However, three days ago, former Carolina principal owner Peter Karmanos denied knowledge of the event and said he would've fired Peters "in a nanosecond" if he'd been told about the abuse.

On Tuesday, ex-Hurricanes defenseman Michal Jordan accused Peters of physical abuse, saying the coach kicked him while on the bench during a game and punched another player in the head.

A day earlier, former NHLer Akim Aliu tweeted that Peters directed racial slurs toward him a decade ago while with the Rockford IceHogs, the Chicago Blackhawks' AHL affiliate.

Peters coached the Hurricanes for four seasons before taking the head coaching job with the Calgary Flames prior to the 2018-19 season. He penned an apology letter to Flames GM Brad Treliving on Wednesday where he admitted using a racial slur, but he did not address the physical abuse allegations. Peters resigned as Calgary's bench boss on Friday.

Francis served as Carolina's general manager for four years before he was let go in April 2018. He was hired as GM of the upcoming Seattle NHL team this summer.

Karmanos is still a minority owner of the Hurricanes, but he was the majority owner from 1994 to 2018 before selling controlling interest of the club to Tom Dundon."

7 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Treliving refused to answer questions on whether they were still paying him.  If his resignation was straightforward then typically there's no money owed.  He also didn't disclose any results of their findings.

Speculating but it feels like they've encouraged him to resign probably in exchange of a termination package and a non disclose arrangement.   Lawyers on both sides were likely involved.  Had they fired him it would have just dragged on (he is still owed money) and maybe more revelations would become public. Calgary would be kept in the news cycle and they probably just want to move on and focus on their season.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/30/2019 at 3:03 AM, canuckster19 said:

Aliu probably deserves some form of compensation

Why?

Why does he deserve money because some guy said some thing to him?  

That is what I do not understand about society today. Everybody thinks they deserve money because someone slighted them.  It really is pathetic imo.

• Upvote 2

On 11/30/2019 at 9:01 AM, BPA said:

Some compensation should be awarded for the indignity Aliu had to endure.  

People keep saying this.

Why?  Why does someone deserve money because someone slighted them?

People keep parroting this without explanation.  It is stupid imo and pathetic that anytime anyone does anything these days that offends another person, that slighted person expects money. Friggin pathetic.

Edit: it is just as bad as Trudeau giving 10 million dollars to that terrorist. That money came from all of you on here (and me) that work hard and pay taxes and then that idiot gives it to a terrorist.  (not totally related to aliu other than everyone getting money - rant over).

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

People keep saying this.

People keep parroting this without explanation.  It is stupid imo and pathetic that anytime anyone does anything these days that offends another person, that slighted person expects money. Friggin pathetic.

Edit: it is just as bad as Trudeau giving 10 million dollars to that terrorist. That money came from all of you on here (and me) that work hard and pay taxes and then that idiot gives it to a terrorist.  (not totally related to aliu other than everyone getting money - rant over).

Aliu would have been the next Jarome Iginla, had Peters not derailed his career.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

People keep saying this.

Because it's the world we currently live in.  Also perhaps, Peter's was in a position of power when all of this happened.

It's up to the league (NHL) and lawyers now.  Some compensation will probably be awarded to sweep all of this under the rug.

On 11/30/2019 at 10:59 AM, Alflives said:

I’m not a behaviourist, but I wonder what these people, who are this abusive with strong young males, might be like with those who are vulnerable, like the elderly, children, and animals?  How will they behave, when under stress, with those who can’t fight back?

Just because you are a strong young male doesn't mean you aren't vulnerable. Peters' seemed to save his worst abuse for fringe NHL players. When you are Michal Jordan, a guy that makes 750k in the NHL and 70k in the AHL, I think you are incentivized to stay silent about the abuse. Even Mike Keenan, one of the worst human beings to ever coach the game, no one was saved from his vitriol except Messier. The guy who is a first ballot HOFer who has captained multiple teams to Cups, was given preferential treatment by Keenan. Messier had enough credentials that Keenan knew that his approval/disapproval would affect Keenan's perception around the league. Abusers tend not to target those who can strike back, they target the weakest, those who cannot speak out or have no other recourse. 

10 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

People keep saying this.

Peters also complained to his superior about Aliu's conduct having him demoted to the ECHL. Peters did not inform his superiors about his own conduct or that he had uttered racial slurs in front of Aliu. Playing time and development when you are a young pro is critical. You are truly clueless about hockey if you don't think coaches do not have the ability to control the futures of prospects like Aliu who was a late 2nd round pick. You are also better off as a fringe player to stick with the team that drafted you, more likely that the team will eventually give you a shot even for a cup of coffee. Peters further smeared a player to Blackhawks management, a player who had already been labeled a "problem" in his junior days for standing up to hazing. 

Aliu was never going to be a star player but he had potential as a bottom 6 player with size and that's what got him a cup of coffee in the NHL. He was competing with world beaters like Lance Bouma, Brandon Bollig and Brian McGrattan. 

I believe it is very much possible that Peters' actions cost Aliu money in the long run, coming up with a figure seems difficult due to the unpredictable nature of player development (ie. non-linear). The question is why you are this protective of Peters' bank balance, a man who made millions and used his position to abuse his own players. 

Edited by Toews
  • Hydration 1