The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former player accuses Flames head coach Bill Peters of using racial slur -- Peters resigns

Rate this topic

Just now, smokes said:

It wasn't a good word to use but back in the day private conversations stayed that and they weren't any other people's business. Now it's this person hurt my feelings so lets get the court of public judgement to hurt this guy over a private matter.

it was public, Peters did it in the locker room in front of all his team mates. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

oh absolutely. Memory is a funny thing tho, you tend to get so many details wrong its almost impossible to remember anything as it really was. 

For me, a former player or two saying "yes, I did over hear that kind of thing once or twice" would be pretty damning. I don't think you can mis-remember the n-word. I think it would be a case of team mates saying "no I don't recall anything like that" or "yes I do" and the details of the context would be variable.

It'll be interesting to see the statement out of Peters. 

Well, two teammates of Aliu (Simon Pepin and Peter MacArthur) have come forward and provided in depth witness statements. To TSN though. I do hope that they are also approached by a governing body of the sport or the league as well.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Now that's more like it. Evidence and proof to support Aliu's statement. I do hope that Pepin and MacArthur have spoke to more than just a sports news channel about this.

Yeah, I sure hope they went to both Treliving and the NHL as well with this and not just to TSN.

Either way, hearing other people support his statement is huge in this matter.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well, two teammates of Aliu (Simon Pepin and Peter MacArthur) have come forward and provided in depth witness statements. To TSN though. I do hope that they are also approached by a governing body of the sport or the league as well.

I doubt Cowgary fires Peters over this, but this might be his last coaching job. 

Thanks for having a decent conversation, as usual with you Phil. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

it was public, Peters did it in the locker room in front of all his team mates. 

And so it is right for us to judge what happens in a locker room over ten years ago? I'm actually more sad for the accuser who can't let it go.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I doubt Cowgary fires Peters over this, but this might be his last coaching job. 

Honestly, I'd be shocked if they didn't. With more teammates coming out and confirming his statements, it would be a huge nightmare for them not to. 
That put together with the fact that they're struggling under Peters and I don't see him being there much longer.
Also, the NHL has said that they're getting involved in it as well which might put more pressure on Calgary.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, smokes said:

And so it is right for us to judge what happens in a locker room over ten years ago? I'm actually more sad for the accuser who can't let it go.

Yes it is. People should be held accountable for their words and actions. It doesn't matter where or when it happened.

• Cheers 4

It wasn't a good word to use but back in the day private conversations stayed that and they weren't any other people's business.

As with any other racial slur, it's a divisive statement. It's demeaning because it places judgement on the individual based on their nationality and race. And as stated, it was in front of other members of the team, so any hope of it being private is negated.

Now it's this person hurt my feelings so lets get the court of public judgement to hurt this guy over a private matter.

There is a distinct difference between being insulted for your actions or something you said, and being referred to with a term that derides your heritage, culture, and race. You should know, smokes, as you've complained about people being racist towards your culture in other threads.

I do wholeheartedly agree with you regarding the court of public judgement though. Certainly, we can bandy back and forth what we all think about this incident, but our opinions shouldn't color the outcome of this for either individual. The court of public opinion is one that relies to heavily on the masses, and as time has proven, the masses are asses.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Ur a Towel said:

Yes it is. People should be held accountable for their words and actions. It doesn't matter where or when it happened.

Then it is time to judge all people of all colors because I have often heard white and colored people using racial slurs. I still hear a lot of colored people using racial slurs on white people and no one judges them about it.

7 minutes ago, Ur a Towel said:

Yeah, I sure hope they went to both Treliving and the NHL as well with this and not just to TSN.

Either way, hearing other people support his statement is huge in this matter.

Same. As mentioned earlier, a TV station can't be where an outcome is determined. The statements of those two is huge, I agree.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Ur a Towel said:

Honestly, I'd be shocked if they didn't. With more teammates coming out and confirming his statements, it would be a huge nightmare for them not to. 
That put together with the fact that they're struggling under Peters and I don't see him being there much longer.
Also, the NHL has said that they're getting involved in it as well which might put more pressure on Calgary.

I can see them hanging on to him for a while yet, but who knows. I guess it will depend on the reaction to his statement later today.

Edited by Jimmy McGill

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

We'll see. It could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

My pleasure, Jimmy. I can't do it any other way. I feel that having these types of conversations is a positive and beneficial experience.

• Cheers 2

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

As with any other racial slur, it's a divisive statement. It's demeaning because it places judgement on the individual based on their nationality and race. And as stated, it was in front of other members of the team, so any hope of it being private is negated.

There is a distinct difference between being insulted for your actions or something you said, and being referred to with a term that derides your heritage, culture, and race. You should know, smokes, as you've complained about people being racist towards your culture in other threads.

I do wholeheartedly agree with you regarding the court of public judgement though. Certainly, we can bandy back and forth what we all think about this incident, but our opinions shouldn't color the outcome of this for either individual. The court of public opinion is one that relies to heavily on the masses, and as time has proven, the masses are asses.

Just a difference in growing up. If someone said like that to me back in the day then I would have handled it with him man to man then just let it go. There are many people who have said racist things to me over the years that is wrong but as much as that is morally wrong. It is also morally wrong for me to try to ruin someone's life over it.

• Cheers 1