Sign in to follow this  
Roberts

[Poll] Do you think Canucks need new coaching staff?

Rate this topic

Canucks Coaching Staff Poll  

289 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

Dude we were doing great against la and Detroit. That’s where still where basically half our 9 wins in overtime and regulation have came from. Yeah we beat St. Louis and Washington in shootouts which is an old tie. Those two and the sharks I believe are the only three teams in 25 games from last year we have beaten that made the playoffs last year. I could be off by a team or two but that’s all I remember. We also lost to St. Louis as well remember that Awful 3 on 0 goal, ugh.

 

Most teams are missing way more

important players then we are in six of the injury excuse for the last six years. Our best players are playing.

You and I just watch the Canucks differently that’s all. 

 

I look at a team like Washington, who only really has one ferland type of player ie Tom Wilson but you know teams have to play the capitals differently when he’s on the ice because of what he brings. 

Ferland like Wilson adds more balance to our lineup, and when he’s out throwing the body and punishing the opposition it takes it toll as the game goes along. 

And that takes the pressure off of our other guys who can just go out and play.

Yesterday was prime example of why we need guys like ferland or roussel.

At one point we didn’t have a single shot for like 10 mins and philly dominated most of 2nd + 3rd and that’s with our BEST PLAYERS playing. 

That’s just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. 

 

Ps. Those guys who are missing from our lineup are important and just because they’re not superstars doesn’t mean they don’t bring their own unique skill set that helps this team.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is purely a case of "He can only coach what he has"

The team is loaded with "win now" depth veteran players, players that don't score or have a future in Vancouver in three years but most have a clause contract so they play.

This team's future was so dismal that Tampa took a chance on a 1rst round pick maybe next year instead of a prospect or player.

 

Unlike the previous regime Green has extremely little control of who plays, who stays and how much. Under this boss he is just a soldier following orders.

He wanted Boeser to go to the AHL to get used to the defensive part of the game do you not think he believes that Hughes could use a stint down there?

The PP was working with Edler until suddenly Hughes goes there, at the time Hughes had the worst +/- of dmen and is still a minus player despite OZ starts and PP time.

Do you think he likes having Eriksson around demonstrating that the contract is mightier than the play?

How about those subdued interviews, I could imagine an honest answer could be something like, "yeah we have had some decent play out there, our PP and goalies are keeping us afloat, but we are getting our arses handed to us 5 on 5"

Instead it is "didn't have the legs"

 

He is coaching like he is trying for his next job.

 

No just leave him there so Benning can have another excuse for his own failures, it is the way they do it, hire new assistants, trade away extremely valuable assets for the NOW, if there is a failure then you fire the coach and get another 2 years with maybe another coach fired mid term and more of the future squandered.

 

Fire the architect not the carpenter for the building not being designed correctly.

 

 

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy
  • Hydration 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, BettyWhites44 said:

I look at a team like Washington, who only really has one ferland type of player ie Tom Wilson but you know teams have to play the capitals differently when he’s on the ice because of what he bring

Umm you for got Ovy? Gudas and Hathaway, all have more hits than Van's leader, Edler. Their 5th is equal to the Canucks 2nd.

 

It is funny maybe but Pittsburgh hits even more and have 5 players ahead of Edler or very close and 4 close to the Canucks #2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Umm you for got Ovy? Gudas and Hathaway, all have more hits than Van's leader, Edler. Their 5th is equal to the Canucks 2nd.

 

It is funny maybe but Pittsburgh hits even more and have 5 players ahead of Edler or very close and 4 close to the Canucks #2.

I left Ovi out because he’s a superstar type player he’s an  anomaly. I was more comparing ferland to Wilson because they both can be physically imposing and put up 20 to 25 goals. We just need more of a physical presence on the ice to push back teams it just give us a better chance to win. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, captainhorvat said:

I think we jus need a real fanbase

We are a real fan base.

 

A great one too.

 

Go Nucks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

We are a real fan base.

 

A great one too.

 

Go Nucks. 

every fanbase has two sets of fans, the true fans and the bandwagon fans. I think the Canucks have great true fans, but maybe not as great bandwagon fans.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Roberts said:

every fanbase has two sets of fans, the true fans and the bandwagon fans. I think the Canucks have great true fans, but maybe not as great bandwagon fans.

I don't think of bandwagon fans as real fans.

 

They are just there for the party,

 

 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

So, the Leafs and TOR media piled on Babcock, accusing him of doing this and that in the room. Despicable, how the Leafs players and media treat this future HoFer. So, just because they feel Babcock was the problem, now everyone thinks Babcock is a lousy coach? That punk Marner, throwing him under the bus like that in the media, goes to show his character. Sure, Babcock probably had some strange ways to doing things, but the Leafs players never responded. I hope another eastern team hires Babcock and that team knocks the Leafs out of the playoffs lol

 

As for our coaching staff - I'm not a fan of Green and I don't believe he is capable of leading this team to a championship. Not saying we should hire Babcock, but maybe a coach who has been there done that, and knows what it takes. Green has zero NHL playoff experience as a coach.

 

 

How much experience did the Stanley Cup Winner have? Exactly 1 playoff series.

He was named interim coach of a dead last team but yet went on to win it all...

Craig Berube  coaching record...

 

 

Coaching Record

 
  Regular Season Playoffs
Season Age Tm Lg GP W L T OL PTS PTS% Finish G W L T W-L% Notes
2 yrs   PHI NHL 161 75 58   28 178 .553   7 3 4   .429  
2 yrs   STL NHL 88 52 24   12 116 .659   26 16 10   .615  
Career     NHL 249 127 82   40 294 .590   33 19 14   .576  
2013-14 48 PHI NHL 79 42 27   10 94 .595 3rd 7 3 4   .429  
2014-15 49 PHI NHL 82 33 31   18 84 .512 6th 0 0 0      
2018-19 53 STL NHL 63 38 19   6 82 .651 2nd 26 16 10   .615 Stanley Cup Champions
2019-20 54 STL NHL 25 14 5   6 34 .680 1st 0 0 0      

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I may be wrong, but one thing I've noticed and really don't like is our breakout.

It seems to me the dman with the puck doesn't have many options for an outlet and is forced to skate it out or play it back if the one outlet option is cut off.

Is that Green's system or is Baumer on the hook for that? I dunno.

Gotta mention, I havent liked Brown since Vanek had to draw up the PP for it to work.

 

Yet after all that moaning, I don't think they should make any coaching changes unless we miss the playoffs or there's an obvious lack of buy in from the players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

This is purely a case of "He can only coach what he has"

The team is loaded with "win now" players, players that don't have a future in Vancouver in three years but most have a clause contract so they play.

This team's future was so dismal that Tampa took a chance on a 1rst round pick maybe next year instead of a prospect or player.

 

Unlike the previous regime Green has extremely little control of who plays, who stays and how much. Under this boss he is just a soldier following orders.

He wanted Boeser to go to the AHL to get used to the defensive part of the game do you not think he believes that Hughes could use a stint down there?

The PP was working with Edler until suddenly Hughes goes there, at the time Hughes had the worst +/- of dmen and is still a minus player despite OZ starts and PP time.

Do you think he likes having Eriksson around demonstrating that the contract is mightier than the play?

How about those subdues interviews, I could imagine an honest answer could be something like, "yeah we have had some decent play out there, our PP and goalies are keeping us afloat, but we are getting our arses handed to us 5 on 5"

Instead it is "didn't have the legs"

 

He is coaching like he is trying for his next job.

 

No just leave him there so Benning can have another excuse for his own failures, it is the way they do it, hire new assistants, trade away extremely valuable assets for the NOW, is there is a failure then you fire the coach and get another 2 years with maybe another coach fired mid term and more of the future squandered.

 

Fire the architect not the carpenter for the building not designed correctly.

 

 

you crazy GIF by Steve Harvey TV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Now I may be wrong, but one thing I've noticed and really don't like is our breakout.

It seems to me the dman with the puck doesn't have many options for an outlet and is forced to skate it out or play it back if the one outlet option is cut off.

Is that Green's system or is Baumer on the hook for that? I dunno.

Gotta mention, I havent liked Brown since Vanek had to draw up the PP for it to work.

 

Yet after all that moaning, I don't think they should make any coaching changes unless we miss the playoffs or there's an obvious lack of buy in from the players.

I agree our breakouts are weak. I don't know what our coaches are coaching so hard to know it it is execution or system.  Watching Dallas and Chicago what really stands out is th speed of player and puck movement in all zones and the speed of their attacks.  We seem to be always trying to slow things down and our transitions are tentative often leaving us with one player attacking without support.  

 

We we seem to be chasing the puck on all zones compared to the teams I mentioned.  Is it our players that are slow or the style of play the coaching staff have them playing? If the latter, we would benefit from a coaching change. 

We are only sniffing at a playoff spot because of our goaltending and a pp that has succeeded mainly against weak pk teams.

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I agree our breakouts are weak. I don't know what our coaches are coaching so hard to know it it is execution or system.  Watching Dallas and Chicago what really stands out is th speed of player and puck movement in all zones and the speed of their attacks.

Those teams aren't as spread out and move as a more cohesive group, allowing for multiple passing options on the exit and through the neutral zone.

 

8 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

 

 We seem to be always trying to slow things down and our transitions are tentative often leaving us with one player attacking without support.  

 

We we seem to be chasing the puck on all zones compared to the teams I mentioned.  Is it our players that are slow or the style of play the coaching staff have them playing? If the latter, we would benefit from a coaching change. 

We also have a couple of forwards looking for the stretch pass who end up standing still on the O blue line 90% of the time, who then have to get up to speed on entry.

An entry that is usually choppy or dumped in hoping for possession below the red line. The guys that are injured are key to successful possessions from down low. They're guys that play with speed and lay the body as well as win board battles.

 

If we're playing that style, and we are, Goldy, Baer and Eriksson are all rendered useless which is why Big Mac got top 6 and why Leivo is being favored.

 

8 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

We are only sniffing at a playoff spot because of our goaltending and a pp that has succeeded mainly against weak pk teams.

I totally agree and I hate Brown. I'd hire Vanek as an asst in a heartbeat.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the current votes are:

Keeping current coaching staff-64 vs. 63-Make changes to coaching staff

 

it's pretty close.

Edited by Roberts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Roberts said:

the current votes are:

Keeping current coaching staff-64 vs. 63-Make changes to coaching staff

 

it's pretty close.

just as I sent that, it's now tied.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Green has been so incompetent at coaching so far, and today's game was very noticable.

 

1. not playing the right players at the right time. I agree that every game, you can test and trial a few match up and line up for the first couple of periods, but by the 3rd, you should know how each players are performing. Tonight, Edler was SLOW again, and just decides to stop skating, when he breaks his stick, what does he do? just stands there, and tried to grab someone. i rather see him go get a new stick or get off and let someone else on , that would only take 5 seconds?

2. decides to do a coach's challenge on Penguin's 7th goal when clearly Malkin was on side, he had clear possession of the puck, and there fore he could back in if he wanted. As a coach, he needs to know those rules inside out. To me, it was not a 50/50 gamble, or even 10/90 gamble, it was a 0 chance of winning that challenge. Technology is modern now, they have the access to the goal and they must have seen the replay. I am so mad at him for taking that challenge as if he was saying, well, we gotta take a chance and challenge. you are just throwing the money away with that gamble, with 3 mins left and down by a goal, giving a powerplay to the opposition who was 2/3 on powerplay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might want to wipe the poll and start over with a new poll thread, it was created on Monday before the blown 6-3 lead and too many vocal after the PGT wanting him to be gone.  I'd like to see them with the new poll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

You might want to wipe the poll and start over with a new poll thread, it was created on Monday before the blown 6-3 lead and too many vocal after the PGT wanting him to be gone.  I'd like to see them with the new poll.

Include the guy who has already fired two coaches and has taken 6 years to get this far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.