The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] Do you think Canucks need new coaching staff?

Rate this topic

Roberts

Canucks Coaching Staff Poll  

289 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, DS4quality said:

I'd like a change, but I'm willing to wait until the end of the season. And I'm willing to see if the coaching staff can turn it around. But I have very little confidence that they can. 

So you would like coaching change, you have very littl

e confidence in coaching staff.............   so who do suggest then should be hired as coachs?

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Really don't see much point in making a change unless a very good proven coach becomes available and the team is still struggling.  A lot of bluster here but not many suggestions on who we could have instead....we win hes fine ... we lose he needs to go.   Its a young team (although Miller is the MVP so far, by quite a margin), when the vets get back things will settle down and we should see some more consistentcy.   JB wants to see how the team does when most of the lineup is back before making any trade decisions .... it is fair to say that the same thing goes with TG.  

Good one IBatch.  Inconsistencies are common for a young team and like you have pointed out, the returning vets will settle the team down. 

It's so easy for fans to sit back and demand coaching changes when they don't have to concern themselves with taking the responsibilities for such changes.  In reality, it is a huge decision for a gm to make and it comes with far reaching effects. Luckily JB isn't impulsive like some of the team's fans.

Green is not perfect in few games this season. However, overall he presents great.  He need some learning process, there is not the time to replace him.

PP coach, so many people said to fire him. From the record, there is not bad, and I think we should keep him, at least this season.

Goalie coach, he is quite good.

• 3 weeks later...

Peter DeBoer would be an excellent choice.

The guy took a subpar New Jersey team to the SCF in 2012. He almost took a sh!t Florida team to the playoffs in 2009. He could do great things with this team. I want him as our coach badly. This is a guy we could actually win something with!

• Upvote 1

Pros and Cons of Green’s Coaching, Hmmmm what can the CDC come up with? Actually curious, can’t think of many Pros at this point but 

Cons

-Can’t get players to play the FULL game

-doesn’t match lines

-doesn’t coach well with leads

-Doesn’t have a good offensive scheme

-Seems to always have the lines in a blender

10 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

Pros and Cons of Green’s Coaching, Hmmmm what can the CDC come up with? Actually curious, can’t think of many Pros at this point but 

Cons

-Can’t get players to play the FULL game

-doesn’t match lines

-doesn’t coach well with leads

-Doesn’t have a good offensive scheme

-Seems to always have the lines in a blender

A pro is that he runs a technocratic style of coaching.  No emotional outbursts. The opposite of a Tortorella. 

A con is that he runs a technocratic style of coaching. Coaching is a lot of boring hard work, going over film, running practices, talking to the media, and you don't need a personality for that. But coaching is more than that. Great coaches have an aura about them. Doesn't hurt if you've already won a Cup. But a prominent coach like Pat Quinn never won a Cup either.  

I like that he's more of a millennial, players coach.  But I don't like it either.  I know that his talks to the team in front of the camera are obviously toned down and cleaned up, but even watching that I get the impression that he's almost apologetic when speaking to them. Not a lot of passion or presence.  It may be a case of he was right for this team in its development, but to take it to the next level, we need a more bigger than life coach. Someone that demands respect from players just simply from his reputation, experience, and presence.

When this poll was started I was in the Keep Calm and have faith in Green camp.  But I'm wavering now.  A new coach, coaches, may be what this team needs right now before the season is lost. For me it rides on this coming Christmas home stand.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, kilgore said:

A pro is that he runs a technocratic style of coaching.  No emotional outbursts. The opposite of a Tortorella. 

A con is that he runs a technocratic style of coaching. Coaching is a lot of boring hard work, going over film, running practices, talking to the media, and you don't need a personality for that. But coaching is more than that. Great coaches have an aura about them. Doesn't hurt if you've already won a Cup. But a prominent coach like Pat Quinn never won a Cup either.  

I like that he's more of a millennial, players coach.  But I don't like it either.  I know that his talks to the team in front of the camera are obviously toned down and cleaned up, but even watching that I get the impression that he's almost apologetic when speaking to them. Not a lot of passion or presence.  It may be a case of he was right for this team in its development, but to take it to the next level, we need a more bigger than life coach. Someone that demands respect from players just simply from his reputation, experience, and presence.

When this poll was started I was in the Keep Calm and have faith in Green camp.  But I'm wavering now.  A new coach, coaches, may be what this team needs right now before the season is lost. For me it rides on this coming Christmas home stand.

I was a fan of green in the development stage but the more I watch him the more I think he lack “ Hockey IQ” he plays a simple style of hockey and ends up chaining some players to that simple style and doesn’t adapt well to other people game plans

• Upvote 3

On 11/26/2019 at 11:55 AM, NUCKER67 said:

So, the Leafs and TOR media piled on Babcock, accusing him of doing this and that in the room. Despicable, how the Leafs players and media treat this future HoFer. So, just because they feel Babcock was the problem, now everyone thinks Babcock is a lousy coach? That punk Marner, throwing him under the bus like that in the media, goes to show his character. Sure, Babcock probably had some strange ways to doing things, but the Leafs players never responded. I hope another eastern team hires Babcock and that team knocks the Leafs out of the playoffs lol

As for our coaching staff - I'm not a fan of Green and I don't believe he is capable of leading this team to a championship. Not saying we should hire Babcock, but maybe a coach who has been there done that, and knows what it takes. Green has zero NHL playoff experience as a coach.

Babcock blackmails a superstar kid while playing him in the fourth line then tells his teammates what he said about them when it was Babcock idea just to toy with Marner like a snake with a mouse. And Marner is the punk for calling him out, and doing it after he left the team then saying at the end it doesent matter anymore it’s over.

look I hate the leafs too but that’s bushleague coaching by any league standards let alone NHL. 

Remember...this is the same guy who didn’t let modano play his 1500th game just because he could.

and no Babcock isn’t a bad coach all of the sudden because of that, it’s because in the last decade his nickname is first round knockout mike. 

He won won titles with the most stacked teams possible then under achieved with the same ones. He probably gets into the HOF for sure but don’t act like he’s god.

On 11/29/2019 at 4:28 PM, Rabbit said:

Green is not perfect in few games this season. However, overall he presents great.  He need some learning process, there is not the time to replace him.

PP coach, so many people said to fire him. From the record, there is not bad, and I think we should keep him, at least this season.

Goalie coach, he is quite good.

Green doesent present great by giving the team a pass because they’re young each and every loss 

• Wat 1

2 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

I was a fan of green in the development stage but the more I watch him the more I think he lack “ Hockey IQ” he plays a simple style of hockey and ends up chaining some players to that simple style and doesn’t adapt well to other people game plans

It is the group not the coach.

He is using the only style that can increase scoring chances, the flip side is some defencemen are playing more offensive than defensive. This is done as a response to the scoring IQ of the forwards, most are here not to score but not to be scored on while on the ice.

This system looks fast and like the team is challenging, it relies on forwards not giving up the puck in the ozone though and playing a lot of defence man..

Just watch any game and see how often Boeser, drafted for goal scoring, is playing defence or Pettersson or Horvat or Pearson etc, etc, etc. This allows Hughes to play without structure as a rover but once other teams catch on they start escaping much easier and with more effectiveness. Hughes just isn't that good defensively in his own zone and it causes others to improvise and make mistakes, hence high shot totals and extended time in the dzone.

IMO some of the other players that get disciplined for mistakes are starting to get peed off with being benched or diminished ice time (Stecher trade rumor).

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy
  • Upvote 2