The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] Do you think Canucks need new coaching staff?

Rate this topic

Roberts

Canucks Coaching Staff Poll  

289 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

How modest of you to believe that those who agreed with you are smart and those that didn’t are ridiculous and not real fans. Does your head fit through doorways?

Seems like you might be one of those people threatened by people more knowledgeable than you.

Not entirely moderator like to insult other posters 

• Haha 1

On 12/17/2019 at 2:01 PM, kingofsurrey said:

I would prefer to see a GM change.

Move Benning to head of scouting and hire a GM that knows how to  assess / sign effective UFA's to reasonable contracts. 

I was gonna say "what the hell are you talking about?" in the first part but I completely agree with your idea. Problem is that I don't think Jim Benning agrees with your idea haha

I think our coaching staff is just fine. Like any team, we have our low points and right now we are on a 6 game winning streak. For a team that most predicted to miss the playoffs at the start of the season, I think we are doing just fine.

Most nights, I feel our team looks energized and physical. It usually looks like we are trying out there. I believe that with the maturity of our young players combined with good prospects that this WILL be a contender in short order.

3 hours ago, snucks said:

To me Green is not much better than WD. This current group of coaches don't seem to react well to game situations.

I feel as if it's Jekyll/Hyde. Some games he gets his team to forecheck and other games he gets his team to sit back. Same with his timeouts. Good timeouts vs very poorly timed timeouts. Either way you can tell in the first period with this team when they're gonna win/lose 90% of the games though. When they're line changing too much and playing a collapse you know it's gonna be a loss unless Markstrom stands on his head again. 

I just think we need a new, more aggressive defensive system; our current one is too passive. 

Aggressive fore check and skating should also include an aggressive defensive system. 

After hearing last game that Benning has mentioned our defense not being tight enough and up to snuff, I feel like a change is coming; not to our coaching staff but to our system. Here's hoping. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

I just think we need a new, more aggressive defensive system; our current one is too passive. 

Aggressive fore check and skating should also include an aggressive defensive system. 

After hearing last game that Benning has mentioned our defense not being tight enough and up to snuff, I feel like a change is coming; not to our coaching staff but to our system. Here's hoping. 

I agree.  Our passive defensive positioning is most evident on the PK. Where are we, mid-pack on the PK?  I guess it works to a degree, to be disciplined to rigidly stay in the box, wait for the other team to pass the puck around the perimeter with abandon, until they get their grade A chance, for which the puck almost always bounces out to the perimeter again if they don't score, only to sit back for us and watch them pass around until they get another grade A shot.  Very reliant on the goaltender to make amazing saves one after the other, and for the D to make the most of when we finally get the puck to get it out of the zone and change. Which even when they manage to get the puck on their stick, it takes them half a second to wake up and clear it, and 9 times out of 10 they lose it again, or even pass directly to the opposition.

IMO, if you have an aggressive style forecheck game, you should also have one on defence. In order for them to flow into one another. Each helps the other instead of hindering. I think its one reason why after a PK they take awhile to get back into an aggressive forecheck mindset. To be always required by coaching staff to back away, allow the opposition to skate the puck in, tighten up into a box, and hope you get the puck  back....and then suddenly change the game plan and go into full offensive quick skating battle mode is whack.  Obviously I'm generalizing. But dang it its hard to watch that passive  box on the PK.  Especially when other teams have such success with an aggressive pressure the puck holder type PK against US.

• Upvote 1