The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on Sportsnet 650

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, #Canucks said:

When I was young. Gino was always over, him and my Dad would hang out and I remember Pat always calling Gino. Asking him how he was doing and chatting for awhile just to make sure everything was okay. Being a kid I never understood the gravity, I thought it was normal. Pat is such a leader for our organization. He had a huge heart for his players.

Lucky!   Love that friendship extended right up until we lost Pat.  Also jealous as Gino is one of my all time favourite Canucks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

If Baer does come back up again does the 10 games and 30 days reset, or is that for the whole season?  If he’s done here, than I don’t see JB having any issue with Baer getting picked off waivers.  

It's cumulative Alf............

A player does not need to pass through waivers if the player has not been on the NHL active roster for a cumulative 30 days since last clearing waivers, and has not played in 10 or more NHL games. CBA Reference 13.2(b)

I lost respect for Benning when he dealt McCann for Gudbranson. McCann is producing like a star right now he’s got one of the best plus minuses in the league and has like 15 points? 

Also giving eriksson and Tyler Myers six million each is ridiculous.

However he did draft Boeser, Petterson and Hughes, that has to be said here

And it evens it out.

i hope people realize this guy is out of a job probably if we don’t make the playoffs this year. You can say we’re third in our division, yeaaah but our division kind of sucks. I mean the oilers and coyotes as the top two teams, come on...two forwards on one team and the other has been to the playoffs like once in 20 yeArs.

were on pace for 38 wins, I don’t think a team had made the playoffs with that many wins in this new era playoff system but could be wrong.

i want a offensive defensemen who can actually hit the net. Waive Myers. Buy out Eriksson. 

Trade for Brandon montour, maybe give Buffalo sutter and a second?

Edited by Bertuzzi44ever
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 9

3 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

I lost respect for Benning when he dealt McCann for Gudbranson. McCann is producing like a star right now he’s got one of the best plus minuses in the league and has like 15 points? 

Also giving eriksson and Tyler Myers six million each is ridiculous.

However he did draft Boeser, Petterson and Hughes, that has to be said here

And it evens it out.

i hope people realize this guy is out of a job probably if we don’t make the playoffs this year.

Are you for real?  None of what you said holds water.. shall I dissect it for you? 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Baer probably wasn't surprised either. If he stayed up much longer he'd require waivers again and the Canucks aren't interested in losing depth pieces for nothing, especially if teams are hunting for offensive pieces the way JB said. Baer's been in the business long enough.

If Baer goes down and plays well again he'll likely get another shot at some point.

I'm actually betting the Canucks would love to have Sven's salary claimed.

Not sure anything he is doing is worth the money he is making that we could allocate elsewhere.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Stamkos said:

That respect thing is probably why Loui is still with the big club. 

you Sir, or Madam, have nailed it. thank you for such an insightful realistic  post

Edited by AbrasiveAjax
Oops

1 hour ago, Industrious1 said:

I'm actually betting the Canucks would love to have Sven's salary claimed.

Not sure anything he is doing is worth the money he is making that we could allocate elsewhere.

JB has said they tried to move him before the season began.  Hard to deal damaged goods, especially at that salary.

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Love seeing Pat Quinn still being a model for how our organization is run.  Great coach, even greater man.  You can see it come through with things such as Marky getting to go home to be with his dad, while still respecting his privacy.

Babcock would have made him play.   Just like the opposite when he sat Modano for 20 plus consecutive games so he stayed at 1499 games and wouldn’t get his 1500.    That said JB threw him a little shade talking about how coaches used to act - puts things in a little perspective - now you have to be a pyscologist and the way of disciplinarians are out the window - wouldn’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings these days.  Tactical and players coaches seem to be the best mix now.   

Quin was both and it was part of the reason he was so both well liked and one of the best ever (all-time, any teams).  In today’s game he’d be brilliant - if the team is willing to go to war for their coach too, and has his back like the players on the team too,  great things can happen. 

As far as the interview looks like JB is going to re-sign JM...he obvious likes him and wants to keep sheltering Demko , but I doubt he’s going to be willing to do that until he’s 30 (TD)....question is will JM be happy with a 2-3 year deal?  Hard to say.   His stats are right around his career average ATM, a mediocre starters...maybe this will all work out for us after all (what team would be willing to roll the dice on a long term contract?  None is my guess including us, unless he is “a Tree like that” for most of the rest of the way.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Well remember when everyone was saying JT Miller was a over payment?  OJ is worth the wait, a potential top 4 D is worth waiting for no matter what, I believe he will and just like JT it won't take that long for OJ to shut people up once and for all but he has all the tools and a petey-like wrist shot from the top of the circle area and that can and will be lethal, he has a tendency to get to open ice and let it rip..  would love to see OJ and Huey ( my nick for Hughes ) meh.. on the same line with Flow Petey and JT, could be a pretty incredible line.. 

But give up on OJ now???? Not the smartest thing to do and I'm happy Jimbo stuck with it instead of writing him off like many in the CDC were..  gotta love armchair GM's hey? 

OJs polarizing and for good reasons - only EDMs and VANs picks from that draft haven’t made the show in the top ten, and five of them are stars - two picked after us including MT.    Hard to wait forever....and he’s never been able to stay healthy going back to the CHL (was missing games even back then).   What’s he going to be like at the NHL level if he can’t handle physically the lower levels?   Like you and probably all other fans - we hope he can make it and hope he can be a top four as advertised.  

He should get his shot this year when he’s back.   Watched him last year and he wasn’t great but wasn’t bad either.   But he’s perfect for today’s game, a silky skater, great hands and sees the ice well.

The best thing going for him at this point is that he’s been able to move up each level, take some time to acclimate, and then dominate over a relatively short time (actual games played).  His injuries have gotten in the way big time.   IF he comes in and does the same thing and IF he can stay healthy for the remainder....he will be one of the best picks in franchise history as by taking his time we’ve added EP, Hughes and Podz.   No way we would have if he came in right away and dominated.   Probably somewhere in between...but I still hope...

34 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Babcock would have made him play.   Just like the opposite when he sat Modano for 20 plus consecutive games so he stayed at 1499 games and wouldn’t get his 1500.    That said JB threw him a little shade talking about how coaches used to act - puts things in a little perspective - now you have to be a pyscologist and the way of disciplinarians are out the window - wouldn’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings these days.  Tactical and players coaches seem to be the best mix now.   

Quin was both and it was part of the reason he was so both well liked and one of the best ever (all-time, any teams).  In today’s game he’d be brilliant - if the team is willing to go to war for their coach too, and has his back like the players on the team too,  great things can happen. 

As far as the interview looks like JB is going to re-sign JM...he obvious likes him and wants to keep sheltering Demko , but I doubt he’s going to be willing to do that until he’s 30 (TD)....question is will JM be happy with a 2-3 year deal?  Hard to say.   His stats are right around his career average ATM, a mediocre starters...maybe this will all work out for us after all (what team would be willing to roll the dice on a long term contract?  None is my guess including us, unless he is “a Tree like that” for most of the rest of the way.

This is a big year for the goaltenders.  Marky is showing that his strong play since mid-season last year is for real.  Demko has also shown that he is going to be very good as well.  Benning is going to have to make a tough decision and he has shown that final decisions don't get done until the last minute.  Like he says, this is a good problem for him to have.  What are the pressure points to make the decision?  Resigning Marky at the end of the season?  Demko has a year to go after that at $1.05M, so not really.  So 2 years from now he will have to pay Demko as well.  That is more likely decision time.  Of course there is the expansion draft in 2 years and he's not going to want to lose a quality player for nothing.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1