The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Nov. 27, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, xereau said:

He seems to hate on a few guys.. /coughvirtanen

I am going to repeat myself too:

Jake Virtanen has the 2nd most points per 60 mins on the entire team.

From 95% of his shifts coming on the bottom lines, and zero PP.

And Green parks his ass on the bench to the blown leads, and rarely deploys the kid in OT.

Did Goldy even play after the 1st period? Why even dress the guy.

Virtanen had the 3rd most minutes from any winger on the Canucks tonight.  

I actually noticed Green double shifting him in a few games when he was feeling it.  I'm okay with Virtanen's deployment. 

If there was any change I'd like to see, it'd be sitting out Benn every few games, same with Edler and Stecher.  They've all been good this season but I've noticed a lot more slipups lately.  With Edler I just think it would benefit him to give him a day off here 'n' there. 

5 minutes ago, Cup2022 said:

Easy Edler played every second shift

Part of the issue I'm sure,but it happened when he wasn't on the ice as well. It's the style we play. If what you're doing is good enough for a 6-3 lead why change things? Keep the same lines rolling and maintain the same style of play...if they did could it have been worse than what happened? Doubt it!

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Yeah not interested in that stuck in his ways guy harassing Hughes and forcing him to make lists about how lazy his teammates are. Babcock is a legendary coach, but unless he changes his style I wouldn't want him anywhere near this team. It's a different generation. Players don't respond to his style like they used to. Call us a softer generation, whatever. It's just the way it is.

babcock has been great with young players look at kapenen nylander. I think coaching change would prob come in summer rather than now. 

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

We should not have lost this game.

To say something positive: Its a young team. Pittsburgh is a veteran team. We need to learn how to close out games like that.

I'll leave it there. 

A big positive: Gaudette and Virtanen were awesome, that's a great sign for secondary scoring.  I thought Hughes was good as well.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I look at this team on paper and it just doesn't look this bad to me. Yes, two of our better defensive players are out of the lineup, but our defense is entirely intact. It may not be a cup winning team, but the effort level needs to be there, and if it's not, one has to look for the common denominator, which in this case, is the coaching staff.

If the team has lost faith in the coach, or the coach isn't pushing the players to do what's necessary to win these types of games, then imho it become pretty important to get that element away from the team, especially with our core still being young and impressionable. They have to know that this just isn't good enough, and leaving things status quo won't hammer that point home. 

They have always preached the importance of a winning culture.  If that is still true, then they have to address this game. 

Goaltending and penalties cannot be used as excuses in this debacle.  

Coaching, luck and player selection seem to be the issue here, in descending order.  (Injuries play a bit of a role in player selection, but bring up Goldobin in place of more defensively reliable players is an issue.) 

• Upvote 1

The dump and change with a 1 goal lead and tie game have to go.  Also the bump back with no speed on the PP is a waste of time and leads to chances for the other team; frustrating seeing Petey bump it back and there is no canuck inframe for like 5 secs and Pitt get a grade A scoring chance out of it.  This is all coaching.

Edited by amplified0ne
  • Upvote 1

Have to say this was Benn's worst game.

He was an all star with clean / calm passes and solid D play in October, but without a supporting forward crew he seems to be over thinking the game, and making some rookie mistakes out there.

Having the ave age of our forwards under 25 with a couple of AHL'ers doesn't help.

People can rag on Eriksson but at least his positioning, and defensive work is better than most of our forwards which may have helped calm the storm tonite

• Cheers 3

Just now, Johnny Torts said:

Good teams win, they don't make excuses. Especially when our top guns are in, the D is healthy, and we have to great goaltenders. 

Tough call man. I'd rather see a shakeup.

If you look at the lineup it is soft af and there are no defensive forwards in the bottom 6. As a young team with that handicap and a average d-core you are not gonna win a lot of games. There are no if ands or buts. A bottom 6 consisting  AHLers and young guys are not gonna check any NHL line successfully on a nightly basis.

Put in the best coach you can find with that lineup we are still gonna lose a lot. No forwards gonna be able to defend top forwards which puts way more pressure on defenseman and you see our d cracking under that pressure.

You can hate on Green but the injuries we have are the main reasons for our struggles.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Did I say all was well? 

No, and my apologies if you took it that way, but I don't think that the players are to blame right now.  Some might be taking advantage of the situation to be passengers, but that is human nature, the direct result of the weak-as effort the coaching staff has been putting in to preparing the players for games night after night.  It can't continue.  Green needs to go, and the sooner, the better.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Hockey God said:

No, and my apologies if you took it that way, but I don't think that the players are to blame right now.  Some might be taking advantage of the situation to be passengers, but that is human nature, the direct result of the weak-as effort the coaching staff has been putting in to preparing the players for games night after night.  It can't continue.  Green needs to go, and the sooner, the better.

I don't agree Green needs to go asap but the leash got shorter imo

• Upvote 1