The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Nov. 27, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

37 minutes ago, jmfaminoff said:

Listen to Benning's interview a couple of days ago. It explains a lot about how young people are today and how they want to be treated.  Back in my day, our coaches would berate us.  It did not make us better, but they made us afraid to get in trouble.  Now as a mental health professional, working for the State of Missouri, I think coping skills and mindfulness practices may help Brock to work through all of the challenges. But I am not in the room and I don't know how he is feeling, if he is injured, or if he is struggling emotionally. Especially with the American holidays right now.

The thing is that there's already that intrinsic fest regardless of whether they berate you or not. They're afraid to not play to the coaches style otherwise they don't make that big paycheck and play in the nhl. A good coach should be able to get the most out of majority of their players. Some make it easy, others don't. 

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i get it people are unhappy that team is in a bit of a downward trend

but they are still in a playoff position

not even a wild card team

so it's good to have some perspective

the team is young

and key defensive forwards are not yet back

not sure how this adds up to firing green?

or any other drastic steps

the better record in october is a bit of an illusion as it was achieved against weaker teams

and the team was mostly injury free

november is all about seeing how this team does against better teams

and november is the toughest month

both in terms of number of games and opponents

and dealing with more important injuries

if they come out of this month still in a playoff position

they will have set themselves up to maintain that for the balance of the season 

and with slightly better spacing of games

they should be alright

and player health should be able to be maintained

november should have been a tough month

and it has been

nucks likely are still a playoff team at the end of this month

I'll say because there's no strategy or system and if there is one, it's either 

A: Broken; or

B: just plain terrible. 

I wish I could be positive but even in October I knew it was a mirage. The so called depth is ether terrible or broken as well

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

You dont have 8 hits playing passive... 

I would agree with you every time.  Except I watched this game. It's as if he lets people into the zone, then decides to push back, usually by hitting, sometimes by blocking shots.

I am so conflicted by Edler.  On the one hand, he has a nice feel for offense: getting pucks through, making key passes -- especially evident in overtime.  And defensively he can hit like a truck while intercepting passes near to the net.  And he will block shots -- often without taking an injury (wish Tanev would learn from this).  And yet he concedes the zone on all rushes, seems to be on the ice for a zillion goals and is seen in replays as doing little more than waving at players in front of the net, usually way too late to make a difference.  When he has the puck he is good.  When he has a player in his sights, he is good.  All the rest is rubbish.  

Reminds me of the sea change in soccer: fullbacks went from being big slow bruisers to fast play-makers who were almost wingers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruilin96 said:

This is Demko’s “Washington” game. Hopefully he will learn from this one. He had a fantastic 1st 2 periods, and then the 3rd was... well...

I don't think there's much Demko could've done in the third to be fair. I feel like I remember at least one or two of the goals being Marky's fault vs WSH.

Not clamoring for Demko to start at all, just the way I saw it. 

33 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Anyone remember four years into AV's tenure and people wanted to turf him? We extended him and went to the cup. We allowed AV to work through mistakes, why not Green?

AV had 8 years of NHL coaching, 4 as a head coach ( before Vancouver ).

TG fails to make post season, he is done!

Edited by 6string
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dumb Nuck said:

We lost to a team with one of the best if not the best player in the league out of their lineup.

They have a better winning percentage with him out somehow. Probably with Malkin stepping up. His line was hot coming in and we clearly saw that.

Regardless if you leave AHLers and young guys in our bottom 6 to deal with any NHL line we are not gonna win a lot of games.

That said everyone could of been better but you could strongly argue that we would be better with a healthy bottom 6.

• Cheers 1

Just now, xereau said:

Mainly because Travis Green elected to play 2/3rds of the game with 3 lines.

Had he rolled 4, we almost certainly would not have let in 8.

This coach has a certain way about him, and its skewed.

I mean we only had 3 lines worth of players that could keep up with the Pens.  I love Graovac and Zach, but they're built for tougher games and not for track meets against the Penguins.  

My only issue with Travis is the fact that he didn't call a timeout.  It worked for him the first time as I thought that Penguins would get a lot of momentum after they made it 4-3, but our players showed a lot of resilience and well you saw what happened.  Maybe that's why he didn't call a timeout after 6-4?  At 6-5 I thought that he should've called a timeout.  

Everybody here is taking the lazy approach and blaming the coach for everything.  

Listen to JT Miller's post game comments.  He's choked at how badly our team did in the 3rd.  If you want to analyze their goals you'll see that Benn was on the hook for two, Boeser was on the hook for two and Edler didn't really help at all on a few.  

Nothing is going to come out from this game, and it shouldn't.  You can't make decisions based on anger.  

Just now, gameburn said:

I would agree with you every time.  Except I watched this game. It's as if he lets people into the zone, then decides to push back, usually by hitting, sometimes by blocking shots.

I am so conflicted by Edler.  On the one hand, he has a nice feel for offense: getting pucks through, making key passes -- especially evident in overtime.  And defensively he can hit like a truck while intercepting passes near to the net.  And he will block shots -- often without taking an injury (wish Tanev would learn from this).  And yet he concedes the zone on all rushes, seems to be on the ice for a zillion goals and is seen in replays as doing little more than waving at players in front of the net, usually way too late to make a difference.  When he has the puck he is good.  When he has a player in his sights, he is good.  All the rest is rubbish.  

Reminds me of the sea change in soccer: fullbacks went from being big slow bruisers to fast play-makers who were almost wingers. 

IMO it's not Edler's fault we haven't got or developed a top pair dman to bump him to the second pair where he really belongs.

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

They have a better winning percentage with him out somehow. Probably with Malkin stepping up. His line was hot coming in and we clearly saw that.

Regardless if you leave AHLers and young guys in our bottom 6 to deal with any NHL line we are not gonna win a lot of games.

That said everyone could of been better but you could strongly argue that we would be better with a healthy bottom 6.

Obviously replacing any regular with a lesser player hurts your team but every team has to deal with injuries and adapt. We have some good talent that seems to be going to waste and I feel a coaching change would not hurt. At worst it would show us where our players stand but as long as we keep going with Green we won’t know what the problem is and if the problem is indeed him then we’re just stupid.

3 minutes ago, xereau said:

The conceding the zone thing, is coaching. Whole damn team collapses and waits to intercept shots and passes!

Edler was only -1 tonight and led the team in hits and ice time.  He is not the problem.

I disagree. Tanev and Edler aren't nearly as passive.