The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Nov. 27, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

16 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Gaudette was awful on the face off for tonight, wasn’t he? Most likely an off night.

If Gauds want to play on this team rn, unfortunately he has no choice but to play wing. Not taking Petey, Bo, Suts or even Beagles spot…

It wasn't an off night. He is terrible at draws

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Ryan Nugent Hopkins said:

Is that legit what he said?!

Lol, no, it's not a direct quote, but it is the jist of what he says after every loss.  His actual interview is on the front page of CDC. It's not very inspiring. Basically he says; we played poorly in the first, good in the second, and it's a bummer we couldn't hold on to the 6-3 lead but we're a young team and Malkin is a really good player.

It seems to me that he's very nonchalant about losing and giving up huge leads. I think this carefree attitude rubs off on the players. These kids are young and the time to mold them is now. Green may be doing more harm than good. There's a saying that goes; when you are young you define your habits. When you are old your habits define you. I'd hate to see these guys make a habit of playing this poorly because the coach seems to think that it's okay.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, shazzam said:

It wasn't an off night. He is terrible at draws

Yup, would rather have him in the top 6 rn. On a hot streak. Not sure why people on this forum already want to set him as our 3C. Like let’s see how good this kid can get, he is still young.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Lol, no, it's not a direct quote, but it is the jist of what he says after every loss.  His actual interview is on the front page of CDC. It's not very inspiring. Basically he says; we played poorly in the first, good in the second, and it's a bummer we couldn't hold on to the 6-3 lead but we're a young team and Malkin is a really good player.

It seems to me that he's very nonchalant about losing and giving up huge leads. I think this carefree attitude rubs off on the players. These kids are young and the time to mold them is now. Green may be doing more harm than good. There's a saying that goes; when you are young you define your habits. When you are old your habits define you. I'd hate to see these guys make a habit of playing this poorly because the coach seems to think that it's okay.

Well said.  I don’t see Green as the guy who can grow with these kids.  Green is essentially a kid himself, only coaching in the NHL for the past 2 years.  We need a coach who can provide veteran leadership, someone with credentials.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Gaudette was awful on the face off for tonight, wasn’t he? Most likely an off night.

If Gauds want to play on this team rn, unfortunately he has no choice but to play wing. Not taking Petey, Bo, Suts or even Beagles spot…

He should play on the same line with Sutter. Sutter can take majority of the faceoffs. during real play time gaudette takes the centre position since he's a better puck distributor an overall offense minded player.  

Sutter has a good shot & good face off guy. He can do both of those things from the wing. Hopefully sutters faceoff skill rubs off on gaudette playing together because sutter wont be around in a couple seasons.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Yup, would rather have him in the top 6 rn. On a hot streak. Not sure why people on this forum already want to set him as our 3C. Like let’s see how good this kid can get, he is still young.

We're hella thin at C right now with the injuries. But if the management and coaches sees him as a C then they got to give him chances to improve. All part of the process for young centers.

We do need guys like Sutter and Beagle to help ease him in

13 minutes ago, BrockBoester said:

Your observance and subsequent opinion have been deemed invalid due to lack of empirical evidence

But yeah it's all Green's fault, literally any other coach on Earth and we woulda won this game.

Send Green to Utica! :towel:

How about my question about Goldy ?  Love the sarcasm :)

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Burrows, Luongo and Bieksa should be our new coaching staff. If you want to hire rookie coaches go with guys who’ve made it to the Finals.

Goodnight CDC

Just because you were a good player doesn't necessarily mean you'll be a good coach. Look at Wayne Gretzky, the best to ever lace up skates but his coaching was so-so. I'm not saying Lu, Beiksa, and Burrows would be bad coaches, but I think we need a proven and experienced coach right now to take us to the next level.

2 minutes ago, the harry said:

It doesn't look really better after sending Baertschi down. They were missing Svens backchecking tonight badly.

the harry

• Comets Regular

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sven_Bärtschi

Sven Bärtschi (sometimes spelled: Baertschi)[1] (born 5 October 1992) is a Swiss professional ice hockey player

<_<:bigblush:<_<

Have we discovered the Swiss version of Timrafan/Eriksson?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Just because you were a good player doesn't necessarily mean you'll be a good coach. Look at Wayne Gretzky, the best to ever lace up skates but his coaching was so-so. I'm not saying Lu, Beiksa, and Burrows would be bad coaches, but I think we need a proven and experienced coach right now to take us to the next level.

There are so many coaches that made such a huge difference in their first year's... Bruce Cassidy in Boston, Jared Bednar in Colorado,  and Craig Berube in St Louis just to name a few. Travis Green literally has kept us on par with Willie. I want Green to succeed, but I think he needs better help than Brown and Baumgartner. That being said I don't know if there's a coach out there that would be a good fit for this team right now. I think he gets until the end of the season, if he makes the playoffs he's coming back next year,  but if they flounder I think he's out in April, maybe sooner. 

30 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

"Players wins games and coaches lose them."  Bill Belichek

Didn't watched the game but it seems like Green got outcoached - again - and lost the game.  Very typical, of this coaching staff with the way they coach especially, with a lead going into the third.

Also, how was Goldy (checked the game summary and he only played 8:37) ?

We started a lineup than many were calling for. They had no shots in the first 10 minutes. Green blenders the lineup, something that people think is a pointless tactic, and suddenly we get 6 goals. Then Pittsburgh came on. I doubt the coaching told the team to let off the gas. The players couldn't keep up which leads to letting them control the play. I disagree with that quote as the players were just as responsible here.

Coaching did what they could to spark the team and the team couldn't keep it up. If the coaching is being blamed for the loss, then the credit should go to their players for the win based on the quote. Yet here we are again crediting their coaching staff for the win and blaming ours for the loss. Malkin stepped up.

• Cheers 2