The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Nov. 27, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 minutes ago, xereau said:

8474291.jpg8474091.jpg8477353.jpg8474849.jpgWp2QojL.jpg

The only one not on the brink of returning, is Tyler Motte.

Any one of them would make an incredible and immediate difference to the team.

Now that I think on it, with 5/12 of your starting forwards out mid/long term, its amazing that the team is treading water.

Still, today's loss was really embarrassing as a fan, so you know how the players must feel!

Anyways, 3/5 are imminent (Beagle, Sutter, Roussel), and should be be back this time next week at the latest.

Ferland was expected to be given the green light today to start practicing.

And Motte will be back in early/mid Dec.

That's a serious injection to the team.

Pittsburg is playing without Sidney Crosby.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Oh Brother!

Colorado is 2 to 3 years ahead of us, from when they started their rebuild

So, take it easy....lol

These young guys need some age and some experience. Pittsburgh has a very experienced team......

With Arguably one of the premier centers in the game, leading the way.

Just wait until everyone is back, and has a few game under their belt together

Pettersson was on for the last 3 goals......did you want someone else on then?

He has to get stronger, which will come, but it is a journey...……….

For every one.....

Yeah they are in the second stage of their rebuild. Most recent era of rebuilding started there with Landeskog era.

We need to think about what we are getting into 3-4 years down the road ourselves with upcomers, and those not even drafted yet.

If this team wants to contend, we need another top 6 scoring winger to come out of our system. Tyler Madden maybe? Plays C but he can do RW if he wants a spot in the NHL.  Him and Bo would likely be great together. Lind has 14pts in 20 games in Utica this year too.

The teams with the high end cores which have persisted over the last decade.. Pitts, Tampa, Chicago all come to mind, where they kept low cost youth fluxing through the top two lines, really boosting their value, and making blue chip trades several times over the years to remain somewhat relevant and be highly competitive for a longer window than most teams in the cap era. So I think that this is where we as fans really should be looking towards to get an idea of what we are going to look at a similar state in development. In 3 years time, this team is going to be radically different that from what it is today.

Edited by xereau
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Pittsburg is playing without Sidney Crosby.

Yeah that's a tough loss to swallow. But the guys out for us, they are 5/6 of a pretty great bottom 6.

It's impossible to compare the losses of 5 to 1. Though, I'd rather have Sid than all 5 of them together heh.

As a nearly full time NHL Scout, here is my assessment of this game

1. You know those smelling salts thingies the players snoff before the game? I think the Canucks have the wrong ingredient in theirs.

2. John Shorthouse called Letang, Letaang for the first 10 minutes then reverted to Letang.

3. Elliot Freedman has the ugliest moustache in the world 

3a maybe if we donate to cancer research Elliot can choose in of these

https://www.google.com/search?q=moustaches&rlz=1C1NNVC_enCA476CA478&oq=moustaches&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l7.4183j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ericisinfinity@hotmail.com said:

Pearson has value in the line up but on the 3rd line. Schaller has slowed right down & needs to sit for a few games to get him going again (on the 4th line only!)

This team once healthy can go on a big run if green gets his lines together...

virtanen/ferlund-petey-boesar

virtanen/ferlund-Bo-miller

Pearson-gaudette-rousell

Sutter-beagle-macewan/motte

They have the makings of a really good team Underachievers like leivo shouldn't continue to get played over Jake. God dammit green!

Want jake on the PP

Even his brief PK stint today (although we were down 7-6 already) was not bad.

23 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Oh Brother!

Colorado is 2 to 3 years ahead of us, from when they started their rebuild

So, take it easy....lol

These young guys need some age and some experience. Pittsburgh has a very experienced team......

With Arguably one of the premier centers in the game, leading the way.

Just wait until everyone is back, and has a few game under their belt together

Pettersson was on for the last 3 goals......did you want someone else on then?

He has to get stronger, which will come, but it is a journey...……….

For every one.....

The problem is that there is no strategy with this team, it has nothing to do with who is in the line up. Colorado and Pittsburgh have  had more devistating injuries than the Canucks, the some problems I see are:

Zone exits, zone entries, defensive sets, a stagnant powerplay, a 6 million dollar forward who can't get going playing 6 minutes on the 4th line, dump and chase, playing a 34 year old defenseman  25 minutes a game, no consistency with lines or coaching, benching useful players, bad bench minor penalties, and giving up huge leads...

Other than that the team is fine. 

Imagine Travis in a 7 game series, do you actually think he'd out coach his opponent? 

Petey on the ice for 3 last goals should tell you that our best players can't get out of the zone because the strategy is awful. 

i can understand green is still a rookie coach.. but i don't understand whats with the stubborness of benching player and try to sit on a lead? in his 2.25 years tenure in vancouver.. he still haven't learned in this age you can't just bench ur players and sit on a lead.. i have no issues with the team putting their foot on the gas and lose the game.. i have issue with playing great and all of a sudden decides to change the style of play and get destroyed.

2 hours ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Just because you were a good player doesn't necessarily mean you'll be a good coach. Look at Wayne Gretzky, the best to ever lace up skates but his coaching was so-so. I'm not saying Lu, Beiksa, and Burrows would be bad coaches, but I think we need a proven and experienced coach right now to take us to the next level.

Ik, I was jk.

58 minutes ago, xereau said:

Yeah he had a good game. Green did skip him towards the end of the third again, though.

He doesn't totally trust him.

And that's what I don't like.

If Jake is having a bad game, don't play him.

If he is having a good game, as he was tonight, then keep playing him even if he makes a mistake, because he might get motivated and play harder to overcome that mistake.

Yeah, he was a -2, but maybe that was on Pettersson and Boeser as much as him... Green didn't stop playing them because they were -2.

I thought the team could have used more third and fourth lines in the third instead of just Bo/Boes/Petey/Miller.

The third and fourth lines ended up with better plus/minus than the 1st/2nd... maybe playing them a bit more would have given 1st/2nd time to catch their breath.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I am not saying I want Benning gone. But ownership might look at how he keeps bringing in new coaches and get some second thoughts on Benning. Especially if we give up a lottery pick to Tampa. I like Benning, I want him around but very few GMs get to fire more than 1 coach, especially when they were your hire. On top of giving up a high 1st rounder. It's a bit too soon to talk about that though. If this season goes down the toilet you have to think Greener is gonezo. Benning can't afford to give up a lottery pick.

How do you know that?

Edited by spook007

7 hours ago, LateNightBus said:

So: fire the Canuck's team instead of Green and Brown ?!?

How about we don't fire anybody, and just take it on the chin... growing pains of a young team.

It sucked to not win it, but there also lots of positives...

On to the next one.

• Cheers 2

6-3 and you knew an even er upper penalty was coming. Miller got caught for a cheesy one, then Bang. Followed by a horrendous giveaway at their blueline. Bang- full come back on.

At 6-3 we should have just killed the 2 minutes. It forces Pitts to press, and maybe another penalty. Keep your sticks in and avoid calls and keep make the easy play. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel

7 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I am not worried...…...

I know you guys will jump all over me on this...…….

But offense is hard to perfect.....

Defense isn't...…...

They will get better, like with wine...….it will take some time. :canucks:

Thanks Jan.... talk about over reaction...