The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Nov. 27, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, Darius said:

i kept thinking "why are they handing the whole perimiter of the d zone to the other team"....they seem to collapse ..dont know if this is out of panic or if its the defensive system.  it happens too much...happens in consecutive games.

It would be interesting to see/study what kind of changes Tippett has made in Edmonton.  I know that McNugget and Drai are flying high right now but Edmonton looked horrible defensively last year-  doesnt look like they are put on the ropes as much this year.

Edmonton looks like us at the beginning of the year. Just a high compete level with a few skilled guys really capitalizing off of that energy and pace. They've just been more consistent at showing it this year. Defensively when they play bad is still as bad as it was in years prior, but their effort mitigates a lot of the holes. 

11 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Gaudette last night is kind of a microcosm of our young team.

Scores 2 big goals, then also gets caught standing+watching as Malkin rifles the goal that shifts the game.

The one thing I'd say about the coaching is we sit back too much in our defensive structure. We collapse too much. Could use some more aggressiveness.

This!!

It keeps our players engaged without the puck, and it can lead to turnovers and more offense, but most importantly, the other team doesn't get comfortable.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, MikeyD said:

Edmonton looks like us at the beginning of the year. Just a high compete level with a few skilled guys really capitalizing off of that energy and pace. They've just been more consistent at showing it this year. Defensively when they play bad is still as bad as it was in years prior, but their effort mitigates a lot of the holes. 

good points.  it probably doesnt hurt having the top 2 guys in the league taking it to the other team and taking the onus off of any defensive systems...

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Darius said:

good points.  it probably doesnt hurt having the top 2 guys in the league taking it to the other team and taking the onus off of any defensive systems...

Yep, and their defense is activating more offensively too. That makes a huge difference. Remember when our team was dominating everybody at the beginning of the season? Edler, Myers, Hughes, Stecher and even Tanev were roaming around down near half walls and even behind the net and making pinches knowing that the forwards would back them up. There isn't much of that anymore. It's safe hockey. Dump. Change. One man forechecking with absolutely no defensive support so it's absolutely useless. We allow teams to enter our zones, we don't backcheck with vigor anymore and overall the skates aren't moving efficiently. These small changes make the biggest changes on the ice, whether you have skill or you don't. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't know about that. Your post was as succinct as one could hope to be on the subject.

Sometimes I use humor to instead of malice, but sometimes I can be pretty brutal with my assessments of a loss, especially when the team is coasting. Add some beer or wine being consumed during the game? It's a mess. :lol:

In the end, how the team does only affects me as a fan, which I compartmentalize accordingly. I want the team to succeed and achieve the ultimate goal, but also I have a life and a family that mean far more to me than the outcome of a hockey game.

Haha, well thanks! 

My reaction depends on the game and how I interpret it. We can win a game and I'll be happy we won but I'll be peeved by some of the other stuff that went on. You can win and still win having played poor hockey. Winning doesn't somehow erase all the aspects that need to be better. It's easy to move on to the next game and forget about those things after winning, but those things are still there. If we lose a game we deserve to lose, like the Philly one, it's easier to accept. But I'm still gonna be frustrated with our not showing up and all sorts of associated things. If we lose like we did last night? I'm probably not gonna take that as well. But that comes back to reactions right? We're all human and we all react differently to different things. 

I hear ya on the alcohol too haha, it's easy to get carried away when that's involved.

Absolutely, hockey has it's place and we've all got more important things in our lives than what's ultimately rooting for a particular team playing a particular sport. Sometimes it's easy to lose sight of that when we're caught up in it all. 

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Agree, with guys like Sutter, Beagle, Roussel playing in this one, they would have a better chance of closing it out. 

They didn’t have crosby

and we’re gonna complain about those guys being out ....there are stars on every team out bigger and way better then those guys

Crosby

bergeron

dahlin

marner

should I continue?

Edited by Bertuzzi44ever
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, StiffStick33 said:

Getting a little concerned with boesers game as of late. Seen him make some really bad passes on the breakout, turning pucks over, and just a step behind everyone else.

I have to agree... don't want to agree but

Lack of foot speed, acceleration and missed dzone check

16 hours ago, Wilfred said:

Would like an explanation as to why so often at even strength hockey, in the defensive zone it looks like this team is on a PK. Players frequently go out of their way to back off from the puck carrier, and give them all kinds of time and space. It's just mind numbing. There's no logic to it. Why is our strategy defensively to GIVE up space. GIVE them time. 

You see this and you understand why the Canucks have just been putrid defensively giving up shots and chances non stop. The defensive zone coaching is just unacceptable. Time and time again it appears as if they're killing a penalty while it's at even strength. 

And yet another blown lead. 5 goal lead isn't safe. 3 goal lead in the third. And we just sit back and not even slowly, but quickly lose the lead. I have absolutely no faith in this coaching staff at this time. 

Our best dmen is 19 and we have no other top

dmen.

you asked...

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Oh goody. I was wondering when you were going to show up...…..

tenor.gif?itemid=4797024

I care? Because I talk truth.

everyone can be ultra negative I bring up a fact and you moan. Get over it

i haven’t seen anyone say ...not since the 90s

Edited by Bertuzzi44ever

16 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Without guys like Sutter, Beagle, Motte, Roussel and Ferland we are easy to play against and are gonna have trouble closing out games. 

Our team went to $&!# when these guys got hurt. 

we are great offensive but have zero defender/checkers in our bottom 6 and teams are taking advantage. 

injury bug &^@#s us over again. 

So it’s the injuries five years in a row?

dude almost every team

has bigger stars out then those dahlin Marner Bergeron that team didn’t even have Crosby, and we dominated at the beginning four times against Detroit and la that’s basically half of our 9 ROW wins we have in 26 games.

im sick of this injury excuse we have no great dman but a 19 year old and this needs to be addressed by Benning 

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, as I just posted....I sure hope it isn't the way they raise their kids, when the kid is trying to learn to walk or learning to spell...…..LOL

Yes, I get they are disappointed...…..but look for the positives...….there were lots!...…..Even strength goals, Virtanen, Hughes, Miller, zone entries...etc

It will come Grass Hopper...it will come!

Maybe you should just stay in your lane and not worry about how passionate Canuck fans on a website will raise their kids. Ridiculous imo.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

This list probably won’t look at all the same by the time the playoffs are around, too many teams under and over achieving and it’s so close a couple wins or losses either way is the difference between being in the top 6-16 and not.   Crazy that with OT wins and losses padding everyone’s stats there are a couple below .500 teams in it at all.   Don’t think the list will be in concrete until after the all-star game ...

Here is last seasons West standings at US Thanksgiving and the end of season. The 76% # is bang on, only 2 teams got back into it, the Blues obviously as they replaced Minnesota and Vegas replaced Anaheim who were only 2pts ahead of them at Thanksgiving. This years standings look very similar just with a couple of different teams, i'd say no more than 3 teams get in who aren't in now.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

1 hour ago, c00kies said:

Yup, the 06-07 season. We weren't even .500 at Christmas, then went on an absolute tear and won the division.

That same season AV went on to win the Jack Adams, too, which made it harder to fire him the following season when we underachieved. That's the big difference that gave him room to turn things around. But we did give AV the room to rewrite mistakes. The 07-08 season proved to be an anomaly. 

I do think Green needs to assert himself this season and prove he can turn things around to get us to the next level. He doesn't have to win the Jack Adams but, imo, the playoffs are his marker. He needs to have his own AV moment in order to make it harder to be fired and instill more confidence in fans. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar