The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Nov. 27, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, DefCon1 said:

Green was at fault for this game. when you have a 6-3 lead with 13 minutes left, you need to lock it down and play trap, as simple as that. Unfortunately Green didnt take a timeout at 6-4 and took a timeout at 6-6 when it was too late. These are the games that will decide if Canucks make the playoffs or not. If we cant win a game 6-3 with 13 minutes left, we might as well not make the playoffs. I think a coaching change is necessary because Green isnt the type of coach that will take this team to the top. What is his pedigree? Just being good with young kids? Hopefully Benning sees this before its too late.

willie.gif

• Haha 2

Green takes ZERO accountability for his pathetic minor league coaching 

instead he blames his young players and credits Malkin 

Real classy Green...you are the greatest coach ever...a loss is never on you (in your egotistical mind)

hope they throw your rear out of town soon 

Edited by canuck2288
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, D-Money said:

Possibly. Makar seems to be doing pretty well even though Avs have been down 2 of their top 3 forwards.

And even if they are on par offensively, from the games I've seen, Makar has a definite edge on Hughes in defensive ability.

hmm I don't see that, I see Makar riding on the back of MacKinnon, I don't think he even got a point last night, but he also played 5 min more than Quinn with 3 points.  Quinn is already setting records. he is also younger than Makar. I don't think you are giving Quin enough credit

Edited by bree2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, bree2 said:

hmm I don't see that, I see Makar riding on the back of MacKinnon, I don't think he even got a point last night, but he also played 5 min more than Quinn with 3 points.  Quinn is already setting records. he is also younger than Makar. I don't think you are giving Quin enough credit

Have you watched Makar play? He's fantastic at picking off cross-ice passes, and launching it the other way.

I'm not dissing Hughes, just by suggesting there's another rookie who is as good-or-better than him (keeping in mind that Makar is a year older...I expect Hughes to be even better in a year). They're both fantastic young talents, that will likely be battling Dahlin and Heiskanen for the Norris for years to come. The fact that Vancouver finally has an elite D talent like that pleases me greatly.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

I don't think you're giving MacKinnon enough credit.  Having the opportunity to play alongside MacKinnon is huge. 

I can agree that Makar is better defensively, but Hughes drives the play WAY more than Makar.  Makar is a good passer and a good shooter, but he simply doesn't CREATE plays like Hughes.  Passing the puck to Mac for one-timers is not exactly driving plays.

Anyways, yes, watching the two of them mature into a couple of the league's top defencemen will be fun.  The best part of all this?  We're actually able to talk about one of our own defencemen finally being in the breath of maturing into one of the league's top defencemen for the future.  Exciting without a doubt.

You’re acting like Makar is playing on MacKinnon’s wing. His majority of his playing time with MacKinnon is on the PP, where he only has 10 power play points compare to Hughes 13. You’re right, that the majority of Makar’s points are shared with MacKinnon, but the same could be said about Hughes with Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, and Miller. As of now (until Rantanen and Landeskog gets back), Hughes has the advantages of having more offensive options on the ice.

You’re also claiming Colorado is some sort of offensive powerhouse team, when they’re tied with the Canucks in goals for.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Have you watched Makar play? He's fantastic at picking off cross-ice passes, and launching it the other way.

I'm not dissing Hughes, just by suggesting there's another rookie who is as good-or-better than him (keeping in mind that Makar is a year older...I expect Hughes to be even better in a year). They're both fantastic young talents, that will likely be battling Dahlin and Heiskanen for the Norris for years to come. The fact that Vancouver finally has an elite D talent like that pleases me greatly.

of course I have watched him play,  I think he is very good, but I also think Hughes is great too. 

20 hours ago, theo5789 said:

We started a lineup than many were calling for. They had no shots in the first 10 minutes. Green blenders the lineup, something that people think is a pointless tactic, and suddenly we get 6 goals. Then Pittsburgh came on. I doubt the coaching told the team to let off the gas. The players couldn't keep up which leads to letting them control the play. I disagree with that quote as the players were just as responsible here.

Coaching did what they could to spark the team and the team couldn't keep it up. If the coaching is being blamed for the loss, then the credit should go to their players for the win based on the quote. Yet here we are again crediting their coaching staff for the win and blaming ours for the loss. Malkin stepped up.

Good points but in my humble opinion, the Canucks had lost some games due to this coaching staff being outcoached or coaching scared. They seem to play cautious going to the third especially with a lead but for this game the playmakers for the Pens did there job.  Iam not a odds maker but perhaps with a four goal lead going into the third, the coaching staff would had figured something out to perhaps pull out a win ?  

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Good points but in my humble opinion, the Canucks had lost some games due to this coaching staff being outcoached or coaching scared. They seem to play cautious going to the third especially with a lead but for this game the playmakers for the Pens did there job.  Iam not a odds maker but perhaps with a four goal lead going into the third, the coaching staff would had figured something out to perhaps pull out a win ?  

Cautious isn't what I thought, it looked to me like the boys got too excited and needed to be reigned in. I remember crow would have called a timeout at 6-4 and calmed everyone down. Get back to simple, and playing their game. Although I don't really think they played with much urgency from the hop.

I'm hoping Green is learning and adjusting.....if we have all the answers we would have won a bunch of cups by now.

I could probably argue also that the team had been built with a process, and in a solid way. No more swinging for the fences, we are climbing the ladder. (For lack of a better analogy) Yet for the coaching staff we have seen much experimentation (Torts, Willie D). Hoping for a better outcome than one of a building block..maybe we need someone proven? Maybe we don't? Obviously we will look better with more vets in the lineup... We need that voice, even if Green isn't usually that voice.. Is he?. He definitely had some confused looks on his face yesterday..

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

And we have outcoached teams in some games as well. No one is saying Green is the best coach in the league right now. There may be games that he does get outcoached, but that doesn't mean he's doing a bad job overall and needing to be replaced. Perhaps he should've called a timeout earlier, who knows if that would've turned the tide or not. Malkin was on a mission and it's easy to coach a team that had a player with that drive wanting to win (just like a MacKinnon). Hopefully EP finds this level to his game, but I'm sure at that point it'll all be EP doing all the work and nothing to do with coaching.

• Cheers 2

On 11/27/2019 at 6:47 PM, DonaldBrashear said:

Not trying to be dramatic here, but we could be witnessing the last days of Travis Green. With Toronto going 3-0-0 after the firing of Babcock, and St Louis winning the cup last year after they fired their coach, there is some real logic in considering firing Green. You simply cannot allow a collapse like this (6 goals in the 3rd??? Are you kidding me?) and this is not the first time this has happened this year. I am kind of at a loss for words.

I've been saying since the day that Uncle Willie was jettisoned, that Green was simply "an Interim" coach.   He was and never will be capable of pushing these players over the hump - AND HE KNOWS IT !

His days are numbered - rest assured of that!

That third period was men versus boys. 
I have a hard time really blaming any one particular person.

We were leading 4-2 going into the third, they scored a quick one but we scored two quick ones right back. Then they score 4 on 4 and then on the expiring powerplay. Its a 6-5 game with 10 minutes to go. Green tried a time out, to settle the group, didnt work. Pulling a goalie that late in the game wont help at all, how is Marky to jump in and get into game speed when the ice is already tilted. Green held on and hoped the timeout would maybe break up their momentum.

Then they tie it, all hope is lost. Then they go up ahead on a close call at the blueline, what is there to lose in challenging a close call and hoping to god for a miracle, because the team wasnt going to make it to extra minutes the way things were going. We lost the challenge and the rest was history as it was after they tied it.

Not sure what the whole Makar versus Hughes thing it’s all about.  We drafted Pettersson one spot AFTER Makar.  So we got the better player in that draft while picking a spot behind Colorado.  Colorado also did well getting the second best player in the draft.  But Petey is the star of that draft.  He will be a 100+ point player and win the Hart and Art Ross trophies at least once in his career like Hank, or maybe several times.  Makar could win a Norris or two himself.  But in a redo of that draft I take Petey 10 times out of 10.  

As for Hughes, we got him a year later to be our Makar.  There was no franchise centre available in last year’s draft.  So we ended up with the best combination possible in Petey and Quinn.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1