The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Let's all take a step back and look how far the team has come along.

Rate this topic

ruilin96

6 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Athletes are not lazy. The expectation that ever single shift they give 1000% or they are a lazy POS is so far off base.

It's also what separates some athletes from others. NHL players have differing levels of fitness and compete level. Lazy plays are made all the time. Some players make them more than others. 

1 hour ago, Duodenum said:

We just gonna keep using the same excuse every year? Somebody should've reminded Pittsburgh yesterday they were missing Bjugstad, Schultz, and Sidney freaking Crosby

somebody should remind the Canuck fans that the Pens are a established team and have been good for awhile. And someone should remind Canuck fans we have a really young team, that is learning to play together. so I guess it is not an excuse to be missing players. remember we scored 6 goals last night, something we would never have done in years past!!!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Hughes does provide quite a bit of offence, but his D-game suffers at times. He needs to be paired with a very steady defensive Dman IMO. When they had that 6-3 lead in the 3rd, they continued to take chances with the offence and didn't shut 'er down with good defence. Imagine if Crosby was healthy. This team has a ways to go, to figure out how to close games. I watch Malkin dominating, willing goals left and right when it counts. I'm not sure we have that type of player yet. Pettersson is real good, but he can also improve. The stars expected to win games for the Canucks are still young, they'll need time to learn, develop their game.

What happened with Goldobin? I thought he was one of the better Canucks in the 1st (PIT), when the rest of the team did nothing. They couldn't even muster a shot on net. But Goldobin was trying, he was battling along boards and forechecking, he was doing some good things. And then I notice he's on the 4th line with Schaller and Graovac. Going to be tough for Goldobin to make this team with Green as coach. 

Edited by NUCKER67

The biggest issue with this team is consistency. There seems to be wild fluctuations in how this team performs, which was usually game to game, but as shown last night, it seems like a different team comes out period to period.

Personally, some of these losses would be a lot easier to digest as a fan, if there was a consistency in effort. If the team actually began a game looking like they came ready to play on a consistent basis, there would be less hand wringing and annoyance by portions of the fanbase.

This team has a huge range of capability. They have proven to be capable of maintaining pace with the better teams in the league like Washington and St. Louis, but also can't seem to close out a game where they have a 3 goal lead.

That killer instinct that helps teams close out games and take it to the opposition isn't there, and they need to find it somehow.

Sure they've come a long way, but when they play like they did against Pittsburgh it feels like they haven't come very far at all.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

It's also what separates some athletes from others. NHL players have differing levels of fitness and compete level. Lazy plays are made all the time. Some players make them more than others. 

Expecting perfection is asking for disappointment.

In my world, criticism isn't an opinion, it's just overt negativity. 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Expecting perfection is asking for disappointment.

In my world, criticism isn't an opinion, it's just overt negativity. 

Can't be shying away from criticism. Hard to learn without it. I can tell you coach Green is doing a lot of criticising.

8 hours ago, TheNewGM said:

Myers has been in the league for years and still crashes into our own players on the regular like he forgot who to body check. The power play still does the same ridiculous pass back to enter the O-zone almost every single time. Its not our young players inconsistencies that has me freaking out.

But good post and very true. We are much improved. But that is because we have a really stellar line up now. We have a playoff caliber lineup. I really liked Green as coach, but something has to give here. In the end these guys are professionals. I cant pin point what the problem is .... hmmm . Coaching?  I still get that vision of Myers crashing into Miller below the goal line in 3v3 OT.. and Bo also being below the goal line .. I guess you cant coach that vision ...

No we don't. It's becoming tunnel vision to suggest this as we have shown several various zone entries. Do we do the drop pass still at times? Yes, but so does every team in the league. The same applies to the dump and chase.

Yes Myers had that incident in OT. That one play doesn't define his season. This is a microscope moment because surely every team will have gaffe plays like that. It happens when you're playing a quick paced game on ice.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

I don't think it is a good idea to fire Green when we are in a playoff spot. 
We are a young team--there will be growing pains. 

Whole team needs kisses

...and mullets.... screw this Movember crap.... we need Mullvember

travis-green-1996-52.jpg

Edited by fecklund
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hughes does provide quite a bit of offence, but his D-game suffers at times. He needs to be paired with a very steady defensive Dman IMO. When they had that 6-3 lead in the 3rd, they continued to take chances with the offence and didn't shut 'er down with good defence. Imagine if Crosby was healthy. This team has a ways to go, to figure out how to close games. I watch Malkin dominating, willing goals left and right when it counts. I'm not sure we have that type of player yet. Pettersson is real good, but he can also improve. The stars expected to win games for the Canucks are still young, they'll need time to learn, develop their game.

What happened with Goldobin? I thought he was one of the better Canucks in the 1st (PIT), when the rest of the team did nothing. They couldn't even muster a shot on net. But Goldobin was trying, he was battling along boards and forechecking, he was doing some good things. And then I notice he's on the 4th line with Schaller and Graovac. Going to be tough for Goldobin to make this team with Green as coach. 

It's funny that you suggest that we should've sit on the lead and play good defense. If we did and they still comeback, then people will be complaining about why we decided to bunker down rather than to keep the foot on the pedal. We lost, so no matter how we played would've been criticised. The reality is they simply controlled the play all game. We managed to get 6 goals, but the game plan seemed to be to try and continue to take advantage of the weak goaltending because we weren't able to gain control which is sometimes difficult on the road and when a premier player like Malkin steps up, then it's always going to be a tough night. Having Sutter and Beagle would've helped last night.

As for Goldobin, the team wasn't doing much for the first 10 minutes of the game. We shook things up and it clearly worked last night. Goldobin was bumped to the Horvat line and then eventually the 4th line. It's hard to really single out Goldobin as one of the "better" players in that first stretch of the game beyond wanting him to have success and looking at him in a different light. If Goldy plays as hard as Gaudette does and makes it difficult for Green to take him out of the top 6, then he would be there. Green simply expects players who's been around long enough to play hard and stand out. I don't see a problem with that. Players are passing by Goldobin, so he needs to decide where he's going to take his career to.

2 hours ago, Duodenum said:

We just gonna keep using the same excuse every year? Somebody should've reminded Pittsburgh yesterday they were missing Bjugstad, Schultz, and Sidney freaking Crosby

Malkin is still a world class player and he showed that (Letang is up there as well and better than any dman we have currently). We don't have that skill level yet (EP is putting up numbers, but he isn't at that level just yet), so to not have the depth to roll 4 lines consistently affects our team structure and ability to harness these players/teams.

I really like how the forwards and goalies are playing but once again the defense is suspect,we could use an upgrade and draft defensemen to possibly get our first NORRIS TROPHY WINNER,in fifty some years.You can see with our ROOKIE (Hughes) just how valuable a great defense man can be.

A rookie is leading our defense,that says a lot about how badly we need an upgrade,then "maybe" we can hold a THREE GOAL LEAD.

Just a thought... maybe it's time for Green to try something drastic like putting Eriksson on Petersson's line!! We need to see if Eriksson can still score goals and Petey should boost his confidence! Eriksson is pretty responsible defensively so I don't think he can really be a liability to Petey. If Eriksson really falls flat on his face... then we can finally write him off once and for all!!

Green gotta think outside the box man... it's not like whoever the 3rd body is to Petey & Boeser is lights out right now... 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Just a thought... maybe it's time for Green to try something drastic like putting Eriksson on Petersson's line!! We need to see if Eriksson can still score goals and Petey should boost his confidence! Eriksson is pretty responsible defensively so I don't think he can really be a liability to Petey. If Eriksson really falls flat on his face... then we can finally write him off once and for all!!

Green gotta think outside the box man... it's not like whoever the 3rd body is to Petey & Boeser is lights out right now... 

if you really want to think outside the box, dress 11 forwards and 7 defence and play QH @ forward w/ Petey for a few shifts/period

9 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

I applaud your boldness of suggesting it. I've thought about this too. It also wouldn't hurt to have Petey play with someone who defensively sound and who has a history of scoring. But I don't think a lot of people will agree. 

• Like 1