The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Starting out my 6 month workout journey!

CanucksFan#21

I wouldn’t necessarily go to the gym that often. The way muscle mass works is working out destroys them, and they regrow stronger over time. It’s better to push yourself as much as possible every 2-3 days than a little bit every day. 

Hope that helps, and best of luck!

Yes , weight loss is probaby 75-80 percent done through healthy eating  / caloric intake.   It may be uncomfortable for a few days.... but then your body gets used to it and it is much easier.... 

You got this....     You will be adding 10 years to your life........

Look at me in my flyers jersey..... i think i may need to follow you on this journey.... 

Your pal Gritty.....

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yes , weight loss is probaby 75-80 percent done through healthy eating  / caloric intake.   It may be uncomfortable for a few days.... but then your body gets used to it and it is much easier.... 

You got this....     You will be adding 10 years to your life........

Look at me in my flyers jersey..... i think i may need to follow you on this journey.... 

I highly encourage anybody to do it. You gotta give up a bit to get the results I think. Like I LOVE playing video games late at night with some buddies but I'm giving that up and they all understand that my bedtime is now 1030-11 and they're cool with it. They all want me to be healthy and I want to be able to keep up with them and get back into my smaller clothes.

Also, @Stamkos I've heard that it's actually better to go more often even if it's for less intense workouts as opposed to going less but more intense workouts. Basically, it's better to go for 30minutes then to not go at all if that makes any sense. 

Good luck and remember it's not a race, even losing 60 to 100 pounds in one year is part of a process. Like rebuilding a hockey club, it will come together for you with some long term dedication, you're only 29.

I've forever been in gyms, I have seen amazing weight loss results and also thin framed males into medium heavy muscular frames ( no juice - those are obvious ).

I/we want you to succeed, get er done!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, CanucksFan#21 said:

I highly encourage anybody to do it. You gotta give up a bit to get the results I think. Like I LOVE playing video games late at night with some buddies but I'm giving that up and they all understand that my bedtime is now 1030-11 and they're cool with it. They all want me to be healthy and I want to be able to keep up with them and get back into my smaller clothes.

Also, @Stamkos I've heard that it's actually better to go more often even if it's for less intense workouts as opposed to going less but more intense workouts. Basically, it's better to go for 30minutes then to not go at all if that makes any sense. 

Ahh, I guess that’d make sense. My tip is admittedly better for strength gain rather than weight loss. Weight loss, like others have said, is most easily attainable through movement. Just move around. Jogging, running, walking, swimming, etc., is the simplest way to achieve that type of result. 

um, 100 pound weight loss in 6 months?

not healthy, do that only under doc supervision

i doubt you put it on that fast

try for something more realistic which will cement a lifestyle change

instead of a yo yo approach .. . too fast off, means you won't maintain it

5 pounds a month for 20 months

you can keep up that pace easily for the first 3 months

doubt you'll keep your target pace of 15 pounds plus weight loss per month very long

you'll be totally stressing out your body

edit:  and think about it a bit

you go from non active to active .. you will feel more hungry then usual

you can only work off a limited amount of weight

you will sabotage your hopes

weight loss involves restriction of the amount you eat

so reduce that

and maybe start doing some walking

Edited by coastal.view
  • Upvote 1

from my experience of losing 160 pounds, losing more than 10 per month is extremely unlikely. As others have said, 90% of weight loss is diet related so dont go too crazy on the exercise. I was able to do 12 per month for a while but it became unhealthy. To lose 100 took me a year, the next year i got the other 60 but it was much harder to do than the first year. The key thing will be to control your eating. Once you have that managed you will lose weight even without exercise until you get within 50ish pounds of the normal weight range.

Edited by yoshiyoshi

2 hours ago, CanucksFan#21 said:

I'm hoping to lose around 100 pounds in 6 months, but I don't know if that's an realistic goal or not.

It is not.

That said, I will give you my take (everyone has their own). Take the bits and pieces you like after doing lots of research.

Back on March 21st this year, I decided I needed a change and needed to go to the gym. The first thing I did was pay for 3 sessions with a personal trainer. This is something I cannot recommend enough. You will be placed on a program that is not only realistic, but is also based on what you find motivating and fun for exercise.

Second, and this is really a personality thing, but I find when first starting out that “goals” like a specific weight target to hit by a certain date is asking for failure, whether you hit that goal or not. The reason is that, for me anyway, the goal should be “You want to still be doing it in 30 years, as it’s best for your quality of life.”

Trust me, once you get passed the first month, and you’re in a routine that’s actually setup by a professional that knows where your body is at right now, so you’re progressing at the right pace, you’ll be on your way in no time.

It’s been 8 months for me now, and I’ve never been more alert mentally and my confidence is at an all time high. And yeah, the benefit of looking a lot nicer is pretty sweet.

• Upvote 2