The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Devils listening to offers on Taylor Hall

5 hours ago, Trebreh said:

I like Marky as much as the next guy but we have to be realistic with his contract situation and future with the franchise with Demko already on the team.

Markstrom + Leivo + Stecher for Hall (with an extension)

Hall - Pettersson - Boeser

Miller - Horvat - Pearson

Roussel - Sutter - Ferland

Gaudette - Beagle - Virtanen

it allows us to have two legit scoring line or one monster top line. that's a deep playoff lineup IMO.

I would do this and this is good value with ways, but NJ is going to rebuild, I think they will want a young asset as the centre piece of the deal.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I absolutely think Breezer is going to be an NHL regular top 6 dman.  He's very much like Tanev, but more durable and probably a better skater.  He might not be a guy who stands out, but I think he's going to be a solid player. 

I can see Myers being in Van until he retires, and though he's not perfect, he's a pretty good all around dman.  I also think Tanev stays for another contract, at least.......if he can stay healthy that is.  If things unfold favourably, in 2-3 years, I see a top 6 of

Hughes Tanev

OJ   Myers

Breezer Tryamkin

Rafferty

That is what I'm hoping Brisebois would become, but time will tell. Rathbone may take the spot instead if he doesn't take OJ's spot (obviously I'm pretty high on Jack).

If we are to expect Tanev to be re-signed, then we will have to open up some cap space for him, so it'll be interesting if we can make that work.

I'm not seeing Edler's hard minutes being replaced there though, but perhaps we would alter the defense strategy should we ice that lineup and hopefully with Quinn and OJ being a bit more seasoned makes up the difference.

9 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

That is what I'm hoping Brisebois would become, but time will tell. Rathbone may take the spot instead if he doesn't take OJ's spot (obviously I'm pretty high on Jack).

If we are to expect Tanev to be re-signed, then we will have to open up some cap space for him, so it'll be interesting if we can make that work.

I'm not seeing Edler's hard minutes being replaced there though, but perhaps we would alter the defense strategy should we ice that lineup and hopefully with Quinn and OJ being a bit more seasoned makes up the difference.

Agreed about Edler and he may very well sign one more, short term contract.

As the shed/trade expiring contracts, I expect they'll look to UFA or trading a significant scoring fwd to replace Eddie.

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, stawns said:

well, I think we've seen enough from Breezer to see he's an NHL dman.  OJ would likely be in Van, playing top 4 mins now if he had been healthy the last cpl seasons.  Try, well, we know he's a guarantee for at least top 5.........so Rafferty, Woo and rathbone are the only real unknowns and I think rafferty is almost as sure as Breezer. 

Yeah, but he hasn't been healthy so could have beens don't mean much to me. He has real question marks of even being a consistent NHLer imo. I am hopeful. I like the guy, sounds like he plays the game the right way. But at some point injuries and surgeries begin to add up and he has a lot under his belt already.

I like Breezer, but to say we have seen enough to say he's for sure an NHL d-man right now is like saying Woo is for sure a top 4 NHL level d-man right now. He might be able to squeak out a career. I have not seen enough and anyone that says they have is probably lying. Tryamkin we aren't even sure if he comes back, but if he does we don't know what we have. I like his tool box but he has bigger cardio issues than Jake yet nobody ever roasts his ass for it nearly as much as Jake. 

I think you overrate Breezer a lil bit, kinda brushing off Juolevi's injury past, and Tryamkin for all we know is a 3rd pair guy at best. It's not a matter of just making NHLers outta these prospects. When it comes to top 4 talent going forward we have 1 for sure guy (Hughes), a injury question mark guy (Juolevi), and Tryamkin who being outta the NHL for 3 years and is 26 at the beginning of next season we can't even be sure he will be a top 4 guy. If he even comes to camp in shape. The rest are lucky to even be depth guys, let alone be pieces we desperately need which is top 4 talent. 

On 11/30/2019 at 10:25 AM, Darius said:

If they Canucks were even thinking of pulling off a big move like this I would prefer that they spend the assets on a legit offensively minded top 4 d man.  Someone besides QH that can rush the puck and generate points from the blue line.  A guy that can play on a different pairing than QH and transition the puck and or generate rushes would do wonders for the top 6.

I agree that we should be focusing on shoring up our blueline, but I'd be more inclined to spend the assets on a first pairing righty that could play with Hughes.  Preferably a bigger body that can put up points, has a canon from the point, can munch a ton of minutes and play both special teams. 

18 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Brian Burke seemed to think Montreal was the most likely spot for Hall. They have cap space and assets. 

But are they contenders ? They look more like they’re heading for a coaching change.

I guess does Hall want Montreal? I'd imagine a big part of this is having Hall sign an extension if a team is going to send big assets back. MTL would have some big dollars tied up in Price, Weber and Hall tho.... not sure thats the trio you want to get into the 27-28 million dollar cap hit range. 

11 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Yeah, but he hasn't been healthy so could have beens don't mean much to me. He has real question marks of even being a consistent NHLer imo. I am hopeful. I like the guy, sounds like he plays the game the right way. But at some point injuries and surgeries begin to add up and he has a lot under his belt already.

All the more reason to justify him checking on his most recent knock to properly assess and set a plan. Proper load management and training the right areas will get back on the right path. He looks to be playing well in Utica.

I like Breezer, but to say we have seen enough to say he's for sure an NHL d-man right now is like saying Woo is for sure a top 4 NHL level d-man right now. He might be able to squeak out a career. I have not seen enough and anyone that says they have is probably lying. Tryamkin we aren't even sure if he comes back, but if he does we don't know what we have. I like his tool box but he has bigger cardio issues than Jake yet nobody ever roasts his ass for it nearly as much as Jake. 

Tryamkin's agent doesn't seem to think it'll take very long to lock up a contract. Probably already have a deal in place as soon as he's ready. Tryamkin hasn't changed his profile pic in a Canuck jersey since he left. But I guess we will see when it happens.

With that said, Tryamkin plays 20+ minutes a night. Players with cardio issues don't tend to play this regularly and on top of that be one of the top defenders on the team in many statistical categories. Just because people roasted Jake about it doesn't make them right.

I do agree that Brisebois isn't set in stone to have a long NHL career, but he does show promise and his play is more under the radar because he isn't the flashy type and rather just plays a smart defensive game. Tanev is his ceiling, but that's a tough game to emulate.

I think you overrate Breezer a lil bit, kinda brushing off Juolevi's injury past, and Tryamkin for all we know is a 3rd pair guy at best. It's not a matter of just making NHLers outta these prospects. When it comes to top 4 talent going forward we have 1 for sure guy (Hughes), a injury question mark guy (Juolevi), and Tryamkin who being outta the NHL for 3 years and is 26 at the beginning of next season we can't even be sure he will be a top 4 guy. If he even comes to camp in shape. The rest are lucky to even be depth guys, let alone be pieces we desperately need which is top 4 talent. 

We will still have Edler and Myers on the top 4 in the near future to allow these guys to develop a bit more. We could possibly extend Tanev as well. Tryamkin is a top 4 defender for sure in the KHL and arguably a top pairing dman there (hard to imagine that he could've actually developed further in arguably the next best league after the NHL I guess right?). Tryamkin seems to have focused more on defensive dman which complements more higher offensive prospects like Hughes and OJ, plus he can skate well and his size speaks for itself.

Don't sleep on Rathbone potentially becoming a top 4 dman as well in the future and Woo is expected to be another. In a couple years time, if our players aren't at the level we hope they would be then we can always look at the free agent/trade market to buy a couple more years or to fill the void.

On 12/4/2019 at 4:35 PM, DefCon1 said:

I would trade that package for Johnny hockey if the fLames are trading Johnny.

Miller-Petersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Gaudreau

That would be a great top 6 that would score a lot of goals especially with Johnny hockey feeding Horvat and Pearson.

Our Johnny Hockey is playing for Northeastern. He'll be here next year!

On 12/4/2019 at 3:35 PM, DefCon1 said:

I would trade that package for Johnny hockey if the fLames are trading Johnny.

Miller-Petersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Gaudreau

That would be a great top 6 that would score a lot of goals especially with Johnny hockey feeding Horvat and Pearson.

Johnny Hockey has a cocaine problem .. like a pretty bad one it's why his play has been diminishing so much 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

I would do this and this is good value with ways, but NJ is going to rebuild, I think they will want a young asset as the centre piece of the deal.

Have to put Podkolzin or Madden apart of it with a first round pick. I don't want to give up either of them.

Hall on a line with Horvat and Pearson for the playoffs would be monstrous but I doubt JB is going to go for it. We'd probably have to give up Virtanen + defensive prospect and Hall is far too over-rated considering his inconsistencies.

I do see him going to Edmonton sadly or Arizona which will make the playoff hunt a bit harder for us.

9 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Hall on a line with Horvat and Pearson for the playoffs would be monstrous but I doubt JB is going to go for it. We'd probably have to give up Virtanen + defensive prospect and Hall is far too over-rated considering his inconsistencies.

I do see him going to Edmonton sadly or Arizona which will make the playoff hunt a bit harder for us.

Edmonton has no capspace to sign Hall

How times have changed.

The Canucks picks in 2010; Hall’s draft year:

1st round - None

2nd round - None

3rd round - None

4th round - Patrick McNally - 0 NHL games

5th round - Adam Polasek - 0 NHL games

6th round - Alex Friesen - 1 NHL game

6th round - Jonathan Iilahti - 0 NHL games

7rh round - Sawyer Hannay - 0 NHL games

Edited by Me_
  • Thanks 1

On 12/7/2019 at 12:48 PM, Silky mitts said:

Johnny Hockey has a cocaine problem .. like a pretty bad one it's why his play has been diminishing so much 

On 12/8/2019 at 3:06 PM, rekker said:

I heard the same rumor, hmmm....

Yikes. That's the first I've heard of this.

It's actually unusual how you don't hear about more players testing positive for coke. Maybe they don't really go after guys for it? You know they test for it though and the numbers can't be pretty.

Edit: 

Throw a handful of pain killers and sleeping pills in while you're at it.

Edited by VIC_CITY
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Me_ said:

How times have changed.

The Canucks picks in 2010; Hall’s draft year:

1st round - None

2nd round - None

3rd round - None

4th round - Patrick McNally - 0 NHL games

5th round - Adam Polasek - 0 NHL games

6th round - Alex Friesen - 1 NHL game

6th round - Jonathan Iilahti - 0 NHL games

7rh round - Sawyer Hannay - 0 NHL games

Wow. Not that surprising when you consider the odds of those mid to late round draft picks actually panning out, but a draft like that will come back to haunt you for sure.