The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Nov. 30, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Once again thank you Bergevin, Chayka, and Holland.

yup. I still can't believe so many teams passed on this kid. We got the draft luck we needed, even going back to Boeser who I think you could argue in hindsight was top 10 quality, Petey is easily the hindsight 1st oa, and Hughes a legit argument for top 4 oa in 2018.

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 4

Haven't read the whole PGT, but has anyone suggested that we won because the players stopped listening to Green?

Apparently the PP has been effective lately because they've stopped listening to Brown. Remember the stats about how we were only effective against 3 teams and falsely claimed that we were ineffective against the rest of the league? I'm going to assume that stat no longer holds water.

I'm sure many haven't forgotten running down Green for his decision to play LE and in the top 6 to boot.

Trust the process.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Mark Spector is such an asshat. Says the Canucks have a "trend" of blowing leads this season. We're 9-1-1 when leading after 2 periods. 8-1-1 when leading after 1 period. 

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/2020_situational.html

When we do, we do it in brilliant fashion, but yes he's an asshat.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

When we do, we do it in brilliant fashion, but yes he's an asshat.

pits was a hard and good reminder for these guys, they aren't deep enough to stop skating when they have a lead. Most of the year they've known that. Last night was a great statement, just hope they haven't blown the wad for tonight. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

pits was a hard and good reminder for these guys, they aren't deep enough to stop skating when they have a lead. Most of the year they've known that. Last night was a great statement, just hope they haven't blown the wad for tonight. 

I don't think so.......last night was a measured, disciplined win, rather than an emotional one.  

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup. I still can't believe so many teams passed on this kid. We got the draft luck we needed, even going back to Boeser who I think you could argue in hindsight was top 10 quality, Petey is easily the hindsight 1st oa, and Hughes a legit argument for top 4 oa in 2018.

Aside from Patrick, I don't anyone is upset with not picking EP instead. Arizona and Detroit probably shouldn't have passed on Hughes, but the rest wouldn't be upset. Zadina was ranked highly so it was hard for Detroit to pass on Zadina, so really it was the Hayton pick that sealed the fate, but it's still too early to tell. But we indeed should be glad that we did get the players that we did and have made the right decisions to let them grow with the team and have them insulated with proper vets to take away the hard minutes from them so they can develop properly.

Edited by theo5789
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think so.......last night was a measured, disciplined win, rather than an emotional one.  

i guess we have different definitions of statement win. I like that they kept it together and see that as a very positive team response. 

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm happy some teams (including us), who lost out on the lottery ended up with the better players.  EP has some competition with Makar now,  THN has EP as the second best 21 and under, Makar at 4....both the best picks by far.   Hughes was way less hyped then his brother - and right now at least is definitely the better player which is awesome for us.   Svecknikov and Hughes are both doing great, BT pretty good and Dahlin at a level above (he's the guy that beat out EP)....

Heiskenan also deserves props, part of the reason Dallas is turning it around after a so so start.   It's been four decades since I've seen this many amazing players and future HHOFers drafted over the last four years or so.  McDavid and Mathews draft were two of the better ones I've seen forever (back to back), and the last two haven't turned out as average as many thought . And next years also holds a lot of promise...

COL with Makar and Byram - not fair ha ha...but I suppose other teams look at us and say the same about EP and Hughes.   Could be Datsyuk and Housley..Hughes is going to break Borques 40 year old record this year.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Aside from Patrick, I don't anyone is upset with not picking EP instead. Arizona and Detroit probably shouldn't have passed on Hughes, but the rest wouldn't be upset. Zarina was ranked highly so it was hard for Detroit to pass on Zarina, so really it was the Hayton pick that sealed the fate, but it's still too early to tell. But we indeed should be glad that we did get the players that we did and have made the right decisions to let them grow with the team and have them insulated with proper vets to take away the hard minutes from them so they can develop properly.

every team in the top 4 in 2017 would trade their player for Petey. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 3

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

i guess we have different definitions of statement win. I like that they kept it together and see that as a very positive team response. 

It was a statement win, for sure.  I just meant that it wasn't a game won on emotion that's hard to replicate and might come with a letdown the next day.  They played a smart, disciplined efficient game that should leave a lot in the tank for tonight.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Young teams are going to need reminders once in a while. Bounce back games like last night show the willingness to learn and to try not to repeat these errors. Hopefully they are a well oiled machine if and when they get to the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

Young teams are going to need reminders once in a while. Bounce back games like last night show the willingness to learn and to try not to repeat these errors. Hopefully they are a well oiled machine if and when they get to the playoffs.

It's all about injuries now........I think they know they're a playoff team if they can stay even relatively healthy from here on out.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

every team in the top 4 in 2017 would take their player for Petey. 

I'd be curious to know if this is true. Hischier is a solid two way forward like Horvat with more offensive potential. Heiskanen has potential to develop into a top pairing dman is not a #1 dman that we probably would've taken had he been available to us. Makar is having an incredible season along with Hughes and if things remain, Makar will win the Calder this year. EP may indeed be the best player of the bunch, but just saying if I were those other teams, I wouldn't be upset.

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's all about injuries now........I think they know they're a playoff team if they can stay even relatively healthy from here on out.

Well I think it's a bit of that arrogance (thinking they are a playoff team or thinking they will win the game with the big lead) that is getting them in trouble. Injuries or not, they need to keep focus on the task at hand and play one game at a time and ensure they get the job done.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Mark Spector is such an asshat. Says the Canucks have a "trend" of blowing leads this season. We're 9-1-1 when leading after 2 periods. 8-1-1 when leading after 1 period. 

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/2020_situational.html

I think our record when scoring first is also something like 7 and 2?

16 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Aside from Patrick, I don't anyone is upset with not picking EP instead. Arizona and Detroit probably shouldn't have passed on Hughes, but the rest wouldn't be upset. Zarina was ranked highly so it was hard for Detroit to pass on Zarina, so really it was the Hayton pick that sealed the fate, but it's still too early to tell. But we indeed should be glad that we did get the players that we did and have made the right decisions to let them grow with the team and have them insulated with proper vets to take away the hard minutes from them so they can develop properly.

GMs that passed on him have already admitted they made a mistake.   Others after us also admitted they didn't have him ranked high enough to go if they had the opportunity.   Aside from Makar none of these guys could hold his jock-strap.   NYR said they would have considered  EP that's it.    Most of them said both his shot and his size weren't up to snuff.   Curiously EP worked on 21 different things he felt he needed to improve on his shot draft plus one..and it worked.   Most us wanted Glass.

Zadina was ranked in the top four.  Either him or Svecknikov or BT...understandable why Detroit picked him they planned to pick Hughes - local player - but went with the consensus BPA.   Hughes was ranked anywhere from 5-9, he didn't really slip to us but JB was sure happy we got him.   

As far as the last paragraph - one year of development was the right call.   EP turned out so good he was able to move to centre and take on first line duties as a rookie.  Extremely rare.  For example both first overall future HHOF natural centers Joe Thornton and Stamkos, had modest but very unspectacular first years as 18 year olds .... likely both Hughes and EP would have had too IF they played right away (which they definitely could have).   JB did a great job of both drafting them in the first place with very arguably higher ranked players on the board still  - and supporting their first year.   As a result a Calder trophy and another Calder finalist at the 1/4 mark.   Love that media guys have to eat crow on what Hughes brother is going to win the Calder pre-season...NONE of the considerable articles I read bet on QH...they are now though.

• Upvote 2

I was at the game last night, drunk af and lovin every minute of the experience. Not to take anything away from a solid, disciplined effort last night but Smith wasn't very good. Always nice to see lots of happy Canuck fans in soilerville and cheers to the group of guys in the upper bowl standing and singing Hey-hey-goodbye, classic.

• Haha 2