The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Nov. 30, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

Well I think it's a bit of that arrogance (thinking they are a playoff team or thinking they will win the game with the big lead) that is getting them in trouble. Injuries or not, they need to keep focus on the task at hand and play one game at a time and ensure they get the job done.

Not sure I recall many (any?) games this year where we could say the team played as well as they could but the other team was just too good.

41 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Haven't read the whole PGT, but has anyone suggested that we won because the players stopped listening to Green?

Apparently the PP has been effective lately because they've stopped listening to Brown. Remember the stats about how we were only effective against 3 teams and falsely claimed that we were ineffective against the rest of the league? I'm going to assume that stat no longer holds water.

I'm sure many haven't forgotten running down Green for his decision to play LE and in the top 6 to boot.

Trust the process.

Source? Where who when ?

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I'd be curious to know if this is true. Hischier is a solid two way forward like Horvat with more offensive potential. Heiskanen has potential to develop into a top pairing dman is not a #1 dman that we probably would've taken had he been available to us. Makar is having an incredible season along with Hughes and if things remain, Makar will win the Calder this year. EP may indeed be the best player of the bunch, but just saying if I were those other teams, I wouldn't be upset.

I actually meant to type "trade" not take. You might not be upset but Petey is the best player in his draft. 

18 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Except maybe Makar.

no, even him. Yes he's looking like a dynamic scoring d, but he's got a long way to go yet to be a complete player. Petey is a franchise C, I don't think any GM would say no to Petey. 

• Upvote 2

Glad I missed the penguins game, this young team will be frustrating at times to watch everyone needs to remember it takes time to build team Character and those bad losses will help. Silver lining. 

Heard a lot of Pearson negativity lately seems he’s responded last night !. Lol

Edited by Bertorama
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, IBatch said:

GMs that passed on him have already admitted they made a mistake.   Others after us also admitted they didn't have him ranked high enough to go if they had the opportunity.   Aside from Makar none of these guys could hold his jock-strap.   NYR said they would have considered  EP that's it.    Most of them said both his shot and his size weren't up to snuff.   Curiously EP worked on 21 different things he felt he needed to improve on his shot draft plus one..and it worked.   Most us wanted Glass.

Zadina was ranked in the top four.  Either him or Svecknikov or BT...understandable why Detroit picked him they planned to pick Hughes - local player - but went with the consensus BPA.   Hughes was ranked anywhere from 5-9, he didn't really slip to us but JB was sure happy we got him.   

As far as the last paragraph - one year of development was the right call.   EP turned out so good he was able to move to centre and take on first line duties as a rookie.  Extremely rare.  For example both first overall future HHOF natural centers Joe Thornton and Stamkos, had modest but very unspectacular first years as 18 year olds .... likely both Hughes and EP would have had too IF they played right away (which they definitely could have).   JB did a great job of both drafting them in the first place with very arguably higher ranked players on the board still  - and supporting their first year.   As a result a Calder trophy and another Calder finalist at the 1/4 mark.   Love that media guys have to eat crow on what Hughes brother is going to win the Calder pre-season...NONE of the considerable articles I read bet on QH...they are now though.

I'm assuming the first part is about EP. I'm curious which GMs said they made a mistake because A) like I said, I wouldn't be upset with the players that were picked aside from Patrick and B) seems like it would be in bad taste to say they should've taken someone else instead of talking up their own pick who aren't bad in their own right. Plus the fact that he wasn't ranked high by most that it would seem odd to suggest they "passed on him".

EP became the top offensive centerman, but I'd argue whether he was a true #1 centerman, even today. Horvat is still relied upon in all game situations and logs big minutes along with EP.  Not to say EP won't become a true #1 centerman, but he still has parts to his game to get there like faceoffs (which I'm certain he's working on improving). So I guess it's how you define a #1 centerman. It could be argued that Hischier is their #1 centerman as well.

I agree about Hughes and said pretty much the same thing. The jury is still out on Hayton and even Zadina, so we will see how they pan out, but they could certainly be kicking themselves. The top 4 teams I can't see being too upset. The funny thing is Hughes has always seemed to be somewhat under the radar because in his draft year, Dahlin was all the rage and rightfully so IMO. Then you had the whole Hughes brothers competition and with Jack being a 1st overall pick, you can see why the hype was there. And now with Makar leading the points race so far, he will be the standard. Hopefully Quinn has a surge at some point and surpasses Makar for the Calder by the end of the year.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Not sure I recall many (any?) games this year where we could say the team played as well as they could but the other team was just too good.

True and it seems to be those games that we rack up some goals quickly that the team loses focus at times thinking the game is done, but the class teams like Washington and Pittsburgh never give up.

32 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Source? Where who when ?

Go back to the PGT I believe against Nashville when we scored 5 PP goals. There were certainly posters that believed the PP was effective because they stopped playing Brown's systems. It's all quiet on the fire Brown front.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I actually meant to type "trade" not take. You might not be upset but Petey is the best player in his draft. 

Well that's why I would be curious to know if it's true. You have a couple of potential #1 dmen in Heiskanen and Makar who are also just as valuable as a franchise C, especially on a team like Colorado who have MacKinnon already. NJ probably would want EP over Hischier at this point, but Hischier is no slouch and could be future captain material. He's like Bo but with higher offensive potential, so if he can develop he could be a PPG all round player perhaps in the Bergeron mould. Bergeron isn't talked about as one of the best centers of the game, but he's somewhat underrated in this regard and is a key player in big game situations due to his versatility in all situations.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

pits was a hard and good reminder for these guys, they aren't deep enough to stop skating when they have a lead. Most of the year they've known that. Last night was a great statement, just hope they haven't blown the wad for tonight. 

The great fear with back to backs against a division rival is to lose both games.  The Oilers will come out flying tonight.

I've said before, the key to beating the Oilers is to score first, especially in Edmonton.  Nice win last night but they're really going to have to play well.  Edler likely out, do we finally see Fantomberg?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Well that's why I would be curious to know if it's true. You have a couple of potential #1 dmen in Heiskanen and Makar who are also just as valuable as a franchise C, especially on a team like Colorado who have MacKinnon already. NJ probably would want EP over Hischier at this point, but Hischier is no slouch and could be future captain material. He's like Bo but with higher offensive potential, so if he can develop he could be a PPG all round player perhaps in the Bergeron mould. Bergeron isn't talked about as one of the best centers of the game, but he's somewhat underrated in this regard and is a key player in big game situations due to his versatility in all situations.

Hughes is in the same class as these two. So, would you trade Petey for Hughes? I doubt it. Certainly no one is a loser in terms of who they got in the draft, I just think its clear Petey has some separation from his draft class. What doesn't he already do well? pretty much face-offs, which he will get better at as he gains more adult strength. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

The great fear with back to backs against a division rival is to lose both games.  The Oilers will come out flying tonight.

I've said before, the key to beating the Oilers is to score first, especially in Edmonton.  Nice win last night but they're really going to have to play well.  Edler likely out, do we finally see Fantomberg?

yeah its going to be a tough one for sure. Maybe Kassian will do something dumb and give us an early PP :lol:

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Hughes is in the same class as these two. So, would you trade Petey for Hughes? I doubt it. Certainly no one is a loser in terms of who they got in the draft, I just think its clear Petey has some separation from his draft class. What doesn't he already do well? pretty much face-offs, which he will get better at as he gains more adult strength. 

I'm not saying that Petey isn't the best of the bunch. I'm just saying if I were those other teams, I wouldn't be upset about it. Makar is what Colorado needed. Heiskanen was probably ranked above EP even in our draft order (at least that's what was seemed to be indicated as it sounded like we may have gone after a dman had one dropped, could be Makar as well). If we had either of those guys and "missed out" on EP, I wouldn't be upset. That's all I'm saying.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

...and last night, the scrawny little Swede's line , when head to head with McDavid's line had 11 shots versus 1against.  He is not a 1 trick pony but already shows an understanding and ability of how to play a complete game. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

...and last night, the scrawny little Swede's line , when head to head with McDavid's line had 11 shots versus 1against.  He is not a 1 trick pony but already shows an understanding and ability of how to play a complete game. 

Helped to have Miller on the line as well who's good on draws and plays a hard game. Virtanen had been good with EP and Brock, but Green made the decision to have Miller there for this game which I think was the right move. And Virtanen still had a decent game on his line as well. But EP's defensive game is certainly something that not many skilled players have. He was a pest to Draisaitl all night even taking some cheapshots from Leon and continued to battle through.

• Cheers 2

37 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah its going to be a tough one for sure. Maybe Kassian will do something dumb and give us an early PP :lol:

Edler played Kassian on that one.  Did you hear Bieksa between periods?  He said sometimes Zack just can't help himself when he took a run at his old buddy and room mate, Tanev.  It was just perfect.  :lol:

• Haha 2