The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Nov. 30, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Great full-game effort by the boys, they did a great job back checking, I can't count the number of Oiler pockets picked by Canucks skating hard and staying with their man. I thought Stecher was an unsung hero, and I've changed my mind on Hughes' lack of size, at least in the short term. Last night his body position was perfect and how solid he is on his skates allowed him to physically push guys like Draisaitl off the puck along the boards. He has learned since Draisaitl schooled him in the first game, good on QH. Last night's game was tailor made for Tanner Pearson, hard, heavy and not pretty,  I wish he'd play that way every game.

Side note, Smith was awful last night. Neither of those low post goals (Leivo and Pearson) should have gone in.

Edited by canuckleheads fan
typos
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no, even him. Yes he's looking like a dynamic scoring d, but he's got a long way to go yet to be a complete player. Petey is a franchise C, I don't think any GM would say no to Petey. 

Point per game right hand D-man? I dunno man, I feel like some teams would take him over Petey. It's pretty tough to call right now. It's close. Franchise center and franchise D are pretty similar in overall value, especially with have highly valued right hand D-men are.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

every team in the top 4 in 2017 would trade their player for Petey. 

As others have said, I'd wager that teams would take Makar over Petey. He looks to be a true #1, Norris-caliber d man. There's only maybe 5-10 of those in the league at any time, they're the rarest asset in the game. Even more so than a #1C. Reading between the lines of JB's comments after the 2017 draft, it sort of seemed like Makar was the guy they had #1 and Petey was #2. 

Then again, I'd be curious to see what Makar's production would look like this year if he wasn't playing with the talent he is. He's a pretty great player nonetheless though.

34 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Helped to have Miller on the line as well who's good on draws and plays a hard game. Virtanen had been good with EP and Brock, but Green made the decision to have Miller there for this game which I think was the right move. And Virtanen still had a decent game on his line as well. But EP's defensive game is certainly something that not many skilled players have. He was a pest to Draisaitl all night even taking some cheapshots from Leon and continued to battle through.

For sure Miller is good on that line both for his experience and defensive play and his threat offensively.  All three of those guys had grade A opportunities last night and could easily have potted a couple.  

I think our depth compared to Edmonton was really the deciding factor.  WE had two lines capable of scoring and restricting Edmonton's top line. Our bottom six Guys like MacEwan and Graovac  played a good, hard role when needed and didn't cost us while Edmonton's bottom 9 were far less effective.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Go back to the PGT I believe against Nashville when we scored 5 PP goals. There were certainly posters that believed the PP was effective because they stopped playing Brown's systems. It's all quiet on the fire Brown front.

No i asked You to provide your source..........

Instead you direct me to search....weak dude, pure speculations 

If you think for one second that this team has stopped listening to any of their NHL coaches you are very misguided IMHO

Go Canucks go 

39 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Point per game right hand D-man? I dunno man, I feel like some teams would take him over Petey. It's pretty tough to call right now. It's close. Franchise center and franchise D are pretty similar in overall value, especially with have highly valued right hand D-men are.

It’s a toss up. Every team would looks at their needs and choose. I’m glad we have Petey over Makar though!

2 hours ago, hlinkas wrister said:

I was at the game last night, drunk af and lovin every minute of the experience. Not to take anything away from a solid, disciplined effort last night but Smith wasn't very good. Always nice to see lots of happy Canuck fans in soilerville and cheers to the group of guys in the upper bowl standing and singing Hey-hey-goodbye, classic.

I loved going to Canucks games in Calgary. We would win every game and it got crazy . 

46 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

As others have said, I'd wager that teams would take Makar over Petey. He looks to be a true #1, Norris-caliber d man. There's only maybe 5-10 of those in the league at any time, they're the rarest asset in the game. Even more so than a #1C. Reading between the lines of JB's comments after the 2017 draft, it sort of seemed like Makar was the guy they had #1 and Petey was #2. 

Then again, I'd be curious to see what Makar's production would look like this year if he wasn't playing with the talent he is. He's a pretty great player nonetheless though.

he looks good with the puck, no doubt. He's being sheltered tho much more than Hughes e.g., so we'll just have to wait and see how that side of his game develops. It didn't as well as it should have for Barrie e.g. in Colorado. 

That true stud 1D doesn't come along often thats for sure. I think Dahlen has the most potential for that out of any d in the last 4 or 5 drafts. Not sure Makar has the size or defensive skills to really be that "complete" guy but he'll be a force for sure. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

• -SN- unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Pearson, Horvat, and Eriksson played well together. I'm happy for Eriksson.

Virtanen was very involved on the forecheck, setting up one goal after a dump and chase.

1st line didn't put up any points, but played well all night. Our secondary scoring came through.

Hughes has the most power play points of all defencemen, and is making ground on Makar.

17 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Yes, it's truly amazing how "clueless" Torontonian sports critiques are about other teams across the country.   Never ceases to amaze me and would almost be funny if it wasn't so sad.  They should stick to hyping the laughs to their gullible desperate audience in the 905! 

Neither Hrudy nor Friedman are "Torontonian" critics. Hrudy is the TV color guy for the Flames, so he sees the league and in particular the Pacific a lot. I think his relationship with the flames tends to color his perspective some, but he is certainly NOT east coast centric. Juice was teasing him over a poor choice of language regarding Pearson, but you have to admit last year was a very bad year for Pearson if not quite rock bottom. Nobody who is offloaded twice via trade is having a good year. Neither of those trades was quality asset for quality asset but the exchange of disappointing players looking for a fresh start. Good for him to have turned it around. Friedman has his finger on the pulse of the entire league better than anybody in media, hence his position on the HNIC panel in spite of never having played the game. I listen to his podcast and he is always very fair to the Canucks.

That said, I got a kick out of Juice on the panel and hope he becomes a fixture, his sense of humor and insight really improve their segments.

Edited by canuckleheads fan
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't think so.......last night was a measured, disciplined win, rather than an emotional one.  

Do think that the shear disappointment as well as criticism have stung as well... so it was probably emotional as well...

Will be interesting to see tonight, if they will come out playing with same intensity, as Oilers will be out for revenge...

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup. I still can't believe so many teams passed on this kid. We got the draft luck we needed, even going back to Boeser who I think you could argue in hindsight was top 10 quality, Petey is easily the hindsight 1st oa, and Hughes a legit argument for top 4 oa in 2018.

Makar & Heskainen would have been great picks to land.  But, yeah, not complaining! :wub:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I think it really depends. Defencemen like Makar are undoubtedly hard to find, but so is Petey. I just don't think it's as clear cut that teams would take Makar without a second thought.

Also I'd counter your observation regarding the 2017 draft. Considering the Canucks had scouted Pettersson since he was 14, they were WELL INFORMED about him. I'd argue that Pettersson was always 'their guy'.

Edited by Dazzle

3 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

For sure Miller is good on that line both for his experience and defensive play and his threat offensively.  All three of those guys had grade A opportunities last night and could easily have potted a couple.  

I think our depth compared to Edmonton was really the deciding factor.  WE had two lines capable of scoring and restricting Edmonton's top line. Our bottom six Guys like MacEwan and Graovac  played a good, hard role when needed and didn't cost us while Edmonton's bottom 9 were far less effective.  

And this is without our full compliment of players. Although they were out RNH which really hampered their secondary scoring and defensive play too.

3 hours ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

No i asked You to provide your source..........

Instead you direct me to search....weak dude, pure speculations 

If you think for one second that this team has stopped listening to any of their NHL coaches you are very misguided IMHO

Go Canucks go 

I think you need to re-read my post. Maybe the sarcasm didn't come through, but I was suggesting that other posters were suggesting this and I was calling them out for it. I've been one of the people defending our coaching staff even through the tough stretches if you've followed. Do I need to dig up my posts also to prove it to you?

• Thanks 1