The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Nov. 30, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Ahhh yes!  

The game of “Coiler Toss”,.  

was first thought to be popular only in Curling Arenas north of High Level Alberta,. has now become popular with the Hipster Redneck fans in Edmonton that missed out on the “Grunge” mosh pits..  Oil and Beer dosent mix well in Alberta it seems.. looks like a token silver haired elder from the west coast in a Canucks Jersey had show them how it’s done.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, JamesB said:

My takeaways:

1. Great comeback win after a very disappointing loss in Pittsburgh. Once again the Canucks had a 3-goal lead to protect in the third and this time they nailed the door shut.  As one of the announcers said, in the third they good a good job of staying on the right side of the puck, getting pucks deep, and clogging up the neutral zone. It should not be too hard to protect a 3-goal lead in the third, but you can't take it for granted, as Pittsburgh showed. Tonight was a huge turnaround. 

2. Pearson had a huge game. He had the first 4-point night of his NHL career and he was all over the ice. Pearson is kind of streaky, but he is turning out to be a great return for Guddy. 

3. But I think the best player on ice might have been Quinn Hughes. He got on the scoreboard again, which is nice. But he had a great game overall. He led the team in Corsi for percentage (70% !)  and in expected on-ice goals for. Also, he had a lot of tough minutes after Edler went down, including some time against the McDavid line. Hughes was one of the few defenders who was actually able to stay with McDavid pretty well.  We all expected him to be good, but he is turning out even better than expected (as was also true of EP).

4. Speaking of EP, he did not get on the board but he actually had a good game tonight. He set up Miller for a couple of great chances early and had some very good looks himself later, He also played hard defensively. His CORSI for % at 5-on-5 was second on the team after Hughes at 69%. Most nights if he plays like this he will end up with a couple of points. 

5. Loui getting his first point of the season (in 14 games) is obviously a story, Although I have been critical of him (like everyone else on CDC) I was happy for him to finally score. And it was a big goal. Also, tonight was the first time this season I can recall noticing that he seemed to be skating hard. I am sure he does try hard on a regular basis. It just doesn't look like he is.  He was never fast or a high intensity player and age has slowed him down. Playing with Horvat seemed to rejuvinate him. And Horvat played great. Obviously that line (Horvat, Louie, and Pearson) will start tomorrow's game together. Hope they can keep it up. They were great tonight despite getting a lot of the toughest minutes in the league -- up against McDavid and Draisaitl .

6. I would echo the point made by Coconuts. Marky came up big. When Edmonton was rolling in the second period, things could have gone South but Marky came up with some big saves.

7. With the win tonight, the Canucks finish the road trip at 500 (3 wins and 3 losses), which is pretty good and the toughest part of their schedule is now behind them.

8. Tonight was a big win but the team needs to come back with another big effort tomorrow. If they win tomorrow I would say they have turned the corner. 

Good observation. I don't think our big guns were "quiet", Smith just made the right saves. Petey had two or three dangerous shots that Smith made good saves on, and he fed Miller in the low slot for a great scoring chance. He played a solid game, he was competing hard and making the right plays.

Also, on the Kassian goal. Petey went hard to Draisitl, caught up to him, and had his stick tied up in an instant. He played that rush really well, shame he got a minus on it. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Ahhh yes!  

The game of “Coiler Toss”,.  

was first thought to be popular only in Curling Arenas north of High Level Alberta,. has now become popular with the Hipster Redneck fans in Edmonton that missed out on the “Grunge” mosh pits..  Oil and Beer dosent mix well in Alberta it seems.. looks like a token silver haired elder from the west coast in a Canucks Jersey had show them how it’s done.

"Henrik Sedin" going physical.... nice one

Edited by spook007
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ahf149 said:

What is this called in hockey? Anyone know?

You got your Cycle in baseball

Gordie Howe Hat Trick 

Triple doubles?(basketball)

So what is this called?

A Trifecta ?

trifecta
[trīˈfektə]
NOUN
NORTH AMERICAN
AUSTRALIAN / NEW ZEALAND
  1. a bet in which the person betting forecasts the first three finishers in a race in the correct order.

Maybe perfecta?

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Other thoughts

- I thought Horvat played a great game

- McDavid and Draisailtl did not have very much room out there

- I thought Jake did some great fore-checking

- I thought Marky played real big in net

- The 4th line was way better than their 4rth line......way better!

Your posts mean less when you call posters on here band wagoners.....

:picard:

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 2

Team played good for the most part. Another big 2 points tomorrow would really help us in the race.

I wonder if Makar slows down sometime mid season like a lot of players. Maybe Hughes can take the reign as rookie leader in points. Only 4 points off right now.

3 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I laughed out loud when Juice called out Kelly Hrudey over his ridiculous “rock bottom” comment about Tanner Pearson. You can tell that the panel isn’t used to being called out. Damn it was funny :lol:

Yes, it's truly amazing how "clueless" Torontonian sports critiques are about other teams across the country.   Never ceases to amaze me and would almost be funny if it wasn't so sad.  They should stick to hyping the laughs to their gullible desperate audience in the 905! 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

both Fantenberg and Benn can play both sides, so hard to say.... nice thing being at home Green can manage it a few different ways 

Fantenberg is left handed. I know that Travis prefers to play Dmen on their correct sides due to the speed of the game. Back when I played I didn't care, there were benefits to playing the off side, like walking the blueline forward and having a better angle for shots and passes, but hearing Friedman and Marek on their podcast I realized something that I hadn't thought of, the first pass as you come around the your net is either on your backhand or delayed which with the speed of the game is significant.

• Upvote 3