The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Psycho! Active: An Exercise Arena for the Familiar & the Curious

Rate this topic

falcon45ca

6 minutes ago, 112 said:

I'll be honest; I've been heavy into my magickal and occult practices lately.

Has anyone else ever been possessed?

I just have a really hard time believing in possessions, spirits and the like.

It all comes down to the laws of thermodynamics for me...where do said spirits consume energy? Are they the souls of the deceased, and if they are how is it that they are eternal in a conscious form that is related to their corporeal being? 

We know that all matter is a condensed form of energy...and that energy is neither created, nor destroyed, simply transformed. It seems the height of human arrogance to believe that our energies manifest themselves in an ethereal form not altogether dissimilar to our corporeal self.

We know that the mind & body are one...that changes to the brain alter what we would call our "self", our "soul"...I'm sure I'm not the only one with a friend who suffered a brain injury & was never the same person again.

I believe in the incredible power of the human imagination more than I do an eternal spirit. I've got evidence for one in abundance, the other...well as Dickens put it "there's more gravy than of grave about you"

2 minutes ago, Qwags said:

I've been possessed by the need for beer lately.

1 minute ago, falcon45ca said:

That's actually a thing, I've felt it as well...like a tremor in the Force

Hi

My name is luckylager and I love myself, for I am beer.

Sometimes it's a lot of work being needed.

• Cheers 1
2 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

I just have a really hard time believing in possessions, spirits and the like.

It all comes down to the laws of thermodynamics for me...where do said spirits consume energy? Are they the souls of the deceased, and if they are how is it that they are eternal in a conscious form that is related to their corporeal being? 

We know that all matter is a condensed form of energy...and that energy is neither created, nor destroyed, simply transformed. It seems the height of human arrogance to believe that our energies manifest themselves in an ethereal form not altogether dissimilar to our corporeal self.

We know that the mind & body are one...that changes to the brain alter what we would call our "self", our "soul"...I'm sure I'm not the only one with a friend who suffered a brain injury & was never the same person again.

I believe in the incredible power of the human imagination more than I do an eternal spirit. I've got evidence for one in abundance, the other...well as Dickens put it "there's more gravy than of grave about you"

yeah idk falc

i spent all of my teenage years in a deep, hard-deterministic nihilism that made me quite sad.

then i did a lot of reading and a lot of thinking and a lot of undergoing mystical experiences, and i've concluded that while science has its place, it should be left firmly in that place.

the nature of possession is such that it could never be proven or disproven by empirical study imo. it's like trying to argue for or against God... more within the realm of metaphysical talk than it is of science.

22 minutes ago, 112 said:

yeah idk falc

i spent all of my teenage years in a deep, hard-deterministic nihilism that made me quite sad.

then i did a lot of reading and a lot of thinking and a lot of undergoing mystical experiences, and i've concluded that while science has its place, it should be left firmly in that place.

the nature of possession is such that it could never be proven or disproven by empirical study imo. it's like trying to argue for or against God... more within the realm of metaphysical talk than it is of science.

I'm not a nihilist.

The beauty of science is that it has no purpose outside of seeking to understand. A true scientist is open to all possibilities, it does not seek to refute, but to explain. 

The same is true for supernatural experiences...they all have some root, some form of evidence that leads a person to believe, to explain what they have experienced.

"You never have to proof a negative"...Ayn Rand said that, & it's true. Our understanding of our reality & the world around us, & not just humans but all life on Earth, hinges upon empirical facts that can be measured & observed.

There are many things we do not understand yet, & that we may never understand. Given that over the entirety of human history this has been true, and that many mysteries once thought mystic have been deciphered, I cant help but think that that which defies explanation today will be considered common knowledge in our future.

I can be convinced of anything, you just have to prove it.

6 minutes ago, Qwags said:

I'm not to certain on the existence of a spirits, but I do believe there's more to this world than we realize.

I completely agree, I just don't think that there isn't some form of demonstrable proof...whether said proofs are beyond our intellect is a different matter.

I think it was Camus who said "Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

4 minutes ago, Qwags said:

We're all a bunch of sinners.

We're all a bunch of saints as well.

The duality of man...& the universe.

Newton showed us...for every push, their is a pull...for every up, a down, every light a dark, every sinner a saint.

Eastern philosophy embraces this idea with Ying & Yang.

I'm actually quite spiritual, if in a scientific way.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has felt a connection with the Earth, perhaps while hiking...swimming...even just gazing out at the stars or the sunrise. Felt connected with animals, have witnessed connections with other beings on Earth...have felt the tug of I know not what...

The beauty of science, in particular thermodynamics, is that it shows us & has proof that all of the universe IS connected, that we are all energy, and that energy moves, it shifts, it transforms, yet is never destroyed...that we are all star dust, and that all life on Earth has a common ancestor, all life! Trees, flies, whales, humans, the Ebola virus...we all come from the same place.

That's an accepted scientific fact that is often overlooked & misunderstood.

Sometimes we see an amazingly altruistic event occur in nature, and we say "How? Why?"...I've seen a cat treat a mouse as though it were it's own kitten, it's own offspring...I've seen a lion nurture & then release a young gazelle...all of life on Earth is related, connected.

Doesn't mean Imma 'bout to stop crushin' dems cows inta cheeseburgers, but it's nice to know I'm sharing a meal with a distant relative, ammiright?

• Wat 1
46 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

We're all a bunch of saints as well.

The duality of man...& the universe.

Newton showed us...for every push, their is a pull...for every up, a down, every light a dark, every sinner a saint.

Eastern philosophy embraces this idea with Ying & Yang.

I'm actually quite spiritual, if in a scientific way.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has felt a connection with the Earth, perhaps while hiking...swimming...even just gazing out at the stars or the sunrise. Felt connected with animals, have witnessed connections with other beings on Earth...have felt the tug of I know not what...

The beauty of science, in particular thermodynamics, is that it shows us & has proof that all of the universe IS connected, that we are all energy, and that energy moves, it shifts, it transforms, yet is never destroyed...that we are all star dust, and that all life on Earth has a common ancestor, all life! Trees, flies, whales, humans, the Ebola virus...we all come from the same place.

That's an accepted scientific fact that is often overlooked & misunderstood.

Sometimes we see an amazingly altruistic event occur in nature, and we say "How? Why?"...I've seen a cat treat a mouse as though it were it's own kitten, it's own offspring...I've seen a lion nurture & then release a young gazelle...all of life on Earth is related, connected.

Doesn't mean Imma 'bout to stop crushin' dems cows inta cheeseburgers, but it's nice to know I'm sharing a meal with a distant relative, ammiright?

And I'm just sitting here, enjoying my pretzels.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

I'm not a nihilist.

The beauty of science is that it has no purpose outside of seeking to understand. A true scientist is open to all possibilities, it does not seek to refute, but to explain. 

The same is true for supernatural experiences...they all have some root, some form of evidence that leads a person to believe, to explain what they have experienced.

"You never have to proof a negative"...Ayn Rand said that, & it's true. Our understanding of our reality & the world around us, & not just humans but all life on Earth, hinges upon empirical facts that can be measured & observed.

There are many things we do not understand yet, & that we may never understand. Given that over the entirety of human history this has been true, and that many mysteries once thought mystic have been deciphered, I cant help but think that that which defies explanation today will be considered common knowledge in our future.

I can be convinced of anything, you just have to prove it.

image.png.e6f5f0c479cb24086088334d79888cf9.png