The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks vs Oilers, 7PM PST December 1, 2019 -- B2B Part 2 Edition

Rate this topic

therodigy

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

He would have needed to be in the lineup to get back in it. Glad he finally gets a chance, hopefully his fresh legs should be a welcome addition to the D group. Edler's shoes are going to be a big fill for the D group.

I was counting preseason...

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Also worth noting what happened to both the Penguins and the Blackhawks shortly after that stretch of Calders...

:towel:

I did a quick study on the Calder history & it's effects about a year ago.. I was kind of scoffed at for spitballing that 3 Calder finalists in a few years would lead to a modern 'dynasty'.. although that term needs to be used carefully.

I mean, I'm not suggesting MON, NYI or EDM.. in today's league of parity, CHI, PIT, LA, & maybe BOS are as close as you get to a dynasty.. 

either way, it's gonna be a good ride.. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Glug Datt said:

I did a quick study on the Calder history & it's effects about a year ago.. I was kind of scoffed at for spitballing that 3 Calder finalists in a few years would lead to a modern 'dynasty'.. although that term needs to be used carefully.

I mean, I'm not suggesting MON, NYI or EDM.. in today's league of parity, CHI, PIT, LA, & maybe BOS are as close as you get to a dynasty.. 

either way, it's gonna be a good ride.. 

No one will be winning 3+ Cups in a row anymore, but I'd agree that the modern version of the Dynasty is much like those teams showed, especially Chicago.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

He would have needed to be in the lineup to get back in it. Glad he finally gets a chance, hopefully his fresh legs should be a welcome addition to the D group. Edler's shoes are going to be a big fill for the D group.

I prefer to think of it like the other 5 NHL D each move up a spot so Fanten only has to fill in for a 3rd pairing D. Less pressure on him that way lol.

4 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Whose getting the spot of 1D, any idea? Tanev and.....?

No idea, I guess we will find out soon enough, but I imagine it's going to be a collective effort. Benn and Fantenberg will take on the defensive/PK duties, but it'll be a test for Hughes to see how he handles some more intense defensive pressure. This will go towards seeing if he can develop to utilize his skating in a defensive role and not just for offense if they choose to up his 5v5 minutes, but I prefer they don't burn him out.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Not to mention three finalists in three years.

Now you've sent me on a mission to do some hockey research...

Alright, results are in:

Prior to the 1967 expansion teams had three Calder finalists in the space of three years (two in one year is allowed for this) a total of 9 times, with both Montreal and Toronto doing it three times each.

Since the 1967 expansion, here are the occurrences of a team having three Calder finalists in three years :

Three Calders in three years.png

That's cool, but looks like we might be the first team with a Calder finalist in 3 consecutive years!  All those other teams had 2 in the same year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

He's already averaging 20:21 per game. 

Well I realize that. Last game TG paired Edler and Tanev together to match up against the McDavid line specifically. I'm thinking he wants a shut down pair to play against them. Hughes doesn't really fit that mold. Maybe Tanev and Myers will be the top pairing tonight? I guess we'll find out in 20 more minutes.

3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I prefer to think of it like the other 5 NHL D each move up a spot so Fanten only has to fill in for a 3rd pairing D. Less pressure on him that way lol.

Well that's why I said it's big shoes to fill for the D group and not just Fantenberg. It's going to be a collective effort.

36 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Not to mention three finalists in three years.

Now you've sent me on a mission to do some hockey research...

Alright, results are in:

Prior to the 1967 expansion teams had three Calder finalists in the space of three years (two in one year is allowed for this) a total of 9 times, with both Montreal and Toronto doing it three times each.

Since the 1967 expansion, here are the occurrences of a team having three Calder finalists in three years :

Three Calders in three years.png

I see a trend....

Montreal won 2 cups within 10 years

Pittsburgh won 3 cups in 12 years

Chicago won 3 cups within 10 years

all 3 teams won a cup within 2 years from their 3rd finalist.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Viper007 said:

That's cool, but looks like we might be the first team with a Calder finalist in 3 consecutive years!  All those other teams had 2 in the same year.

Older teams did it that way, but none since the 1967 expansion. The Bruins were the last team to do it in three separate years:

Boston Bruins    
1965-66 Gilles Marotte 3rd
1966-67 Bobby Orr 1st
1967-68 Derek Sanderson 1st
  • Cheers 1

Just now, -AJ- said:

Older teams did it that way, but none since the 1967 expansion. The Bruins were the last team to do it in three separate years:

Boston Bruins    
1965-66 Gilles Marotte 3rd
1966-67 Bobby Orr 1st
1967-68 Derek Sanderson 1st

Damn not the first, oh well!! Cheers!

• Cheers 1