The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ZACK KASSIAN

Rate this topic

• 2 weeks later...

I remember being disappointed when the Canucks traded Coho for him. At the time I thought it was a reactionary move by Gillis, because of the trend to bigger, more physical teams winning the Cup. At that time, I was unaware of the physical challenges that Hodgson was dealing with. (A bit surprised that the Canucks didn't know about that before drafting him, actually)

After a while, I warmed up to Kass, but I was always disappointed that the coaching staff seemed so determined to turn him into some kind of bashing, up and down the wings 3rd liner. He always had far too much skill for that role, IMHO.

I don't know if that "square peg / round hole" philosophy contributed to his off ice problems, but I doubt it helped.

When he was traded for Prust, I absolutely hated it, even knowing Kass' addiction issues. I'd say the BP's tenure with Vancouver was pretty much a complete bust. The only thing he ever did that made me happy about the trade was the night he speared Brad Marchand in the nuts....

All of that being said, Kassian needed to hit rock bottom, before he could rebuild his game and that wasn't going to happen in Vancouver. (or Montreal, for that matter)

Now I'm happy to see him doing well. (except when he's playing the Canucks)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Anson Carter Syndrome 

Let’s see. 

ferland and similar get 3.5 over 4years but kassian is worth 2.5? 

So kassian isnt even worth league average in pay ?

It's  soooooo hard to imagine kassian getting the same or more then stars like gudbranson isnt he around 4 mill? 

2 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

ferland and similar get 3.5 over 4years but kassian is worth 2.5? 

So kassian isnt even worth league average in pay ?

It's  soooooo hard to imagine kassian getting the same or more then stars like gudbranson isnt he around 4 mill? 

Haha, easy now, I get it. 

Perhaps I should have spent more time as Captain Obvious when I made my post.

Kassian might be worth x... after having played with McJesus and co. for the past few seasons. X being, say 4 mill, as you suggest. Is that what he is actually worth? 

When I suggest a number for him of 2.5, it’s because we can assume that both camps recognize his good fortune, as will 30 other GMs, etc. and that his actual value is situational, almost entirely, if I’m being honest about a player I have a bias for. 

Kass at 4 mill, not playing well, or in a few years, will make him a target for critics, citing his salary. Kass at 2.5, or similar, keeps him employed in a gravy situation. 

If he goes for the money elsewhere, because it won’t be in Edmonton because they can’t afford it, he will almost certainly be compared to his contract, expected to match it and without being saved by Jesus, things are going to suck for him, just like your examples. Look at the hate for LE here. Ouch. 

He could end up waived, miserable and a cap problem for another team at 4 mill. 

IMO, he’s better off playing out his days on a longer term at a smaller hit on the team that makes his name sound better than it probably should be. 

Of course, he could also become a revelation and, against the odds, become some kind of perennial 40 point power forward somewhere else, proving he didn’t rely on McJesus and Leon for gravy stats, like Anson Carter once prove to the market. 

Kass could remain a part of a growing powerhouse of a team or price himself out of the gravy scenario he is currently enjoying.

I suppose it will come down to term for him. I hope he signs for 8, but it’s not advisable. Ask LE. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Haha, easy now, I get it. 

Perhaps I should have spent more time as Captain Obvious when I made my post.

Kassian might be worth x... after having played with McJesus and co. for the past few seasons. X being, say 4 mill, as you suggest. Is that what he is actually worth? 

When I suggest a number for him of 2.5, it’s because we can assume that both camps recognize his good fortune, as will 30 other GMs, etc. and that his actual value is situational, almost entirely, if I’m being honest about a player I have a bias for. 

Kass at 4 mill, not playing well, or in a few years, will make him a target for critics, citing his salary. Kass at 2.5, or similar, keeps him employed in a gravy situation. 

If he goes for the money elsewhere, because it won’t be in Edmonton because they can’t afford it, he will almost certainly be compared to his contract, expected to match it and without being saved by Jesus, things are going to suck for him, just like your examples. Look at the hate for LE here. Ouch. 

He could end up waived, miserable and a cap problem for another team at 4 mill. 

IMO, he’s better off playing out his days on a longer term at a smaller hit on the team that makes his name sound better than it probably should be. 

Of course, he could also become a revelation and, against the odds, become some kind of perennial 40 point power forward somewhere else, proving he didn’t rely on McJesus and Leon for gravy stats, like Anson Carter once prove to the market. 

Kass could remain a part of a growing powerhouse of a team or price himself out of the gravy scenario he is currently enjoying.

I suppose it will come down to term for him. I hope he signs for 8, but it’s not advisable. Ask LE. 

I totally agree. Playing on a line with McDavid really helps ones point totals. 

That said, it doesn't make you any smarter and Zach isn't a sharp tac.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/22/2019 at 2:30 PM, 189lb enforcers? said:

Career year coming up.

Hope he gets a contract for 2.5x3 or something. 

3.2 million x 4 years! 

His family and and future finances are in great shape. 

Quite the timing, going into tonight’s game too... 

Congratulations, Kassian! 

9ED180C0-6D9C-4BAC-8B09-9C49BA0A9C24.thumb.jpeg.2815b47d6d9ecac8da3169a160bdde4b.jpeg

Happy for you. 

On 12/11/2019 at 7:50 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

2 goals last night

on pace to smash his career bests 

hope he gets one more decent contract so his family’s financial security is looked after. 

So as long as his success doesn't interfere with the Canucks success....I wish him the best of luck.