The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sean Avery says former Kings coach Marc Crawford kicked him during a game

Rate this topic

smokes

I think Crow was repeating what a lot of Canuck fans felt 

He got paid well to be in a league  that he maybe should not have been in

Every older guy will tell you of  how every day jobs were like that in real life, especially when starting out

It was the sign of the times

You were told to man up

Now they are acting like babies 

Hey Plante got ridiculed for wearing a mask (He was smart and brave for being different)

Nothing brave about Avery or Sopels statements

People hit and fought and were sent down if they weren't performing

It is a different culture today with different standards than yesterday

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, awalk said:

It's a strange idea that somehow speaking out about being mistreated is cowardice but using a position of power to abuse others is "manly"...? 

These guys are on the bench laying into guys who could absolutely beat the sh*t out of them but they know they wont be touched as coaches. That's cowardice grasping at an opportunity to be "man" 

If you going to speak out, why wait? And if you going to speak out then do it when the guy you are talking about is in front of you.

13 minutes ago, smokes said:

If you going to speak out, why wait? And if you going to speak out then do it when the guy you are talking about is in front of you.

For the same reason you cant knock your NHL coach out. Pretty obvious answer.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, smokes said:

A slightly different situation BUT.... maybe the same reason kids don't speak out about abuse:  shame, guilt, thinking you deserve it, thinking it's normal/part of the gig... then as you get distance and/or perspective you start to realise how wrong what happened was.  

And before someone says, 'They're grown men' or 'They make millions',  I'm not sure when money or age made someone immune to psychological pressure/abuse or made it okay to use violence to motivate?  

With all of that being said, I think there is something to be said for being very careful in how we respond to some of the allegations being made.  I think this has been an unfortunate part of sport culture and while it's not okay, I don't think mercilessly tar and feathering coaches or players (who I'm sure have dolled out some 'abuse' to each other) is the way to solve the problem.  

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, awalk said:

For the same reason you cant knock your NHL coach out. Pretty obvious answer.

13 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

A slightly different situation BUT.... maybe the same reason kids don't speak out about abuse:  shame, guilt, thinking you deserve it, thinking it's normal/part of the gig... then as you get distance and/or perspective you start to realise how wrong what happened was.  

And before someone says, 'They're grown men' or 'They make millions',  I'm not sure when money or age made someone immune to psychological pressure/abuse or made it okay to use violence to motivate?  

With all of that being said, I think there is something to be said for being very careful in how we respond to some of the allegations being made.  I think this has been an unfortunate part of sport culture and while it's not okay, I don't think mercilessly tar and feathering coaches or players (who I'm sure have dolled out some 'abuse' to each other) is the way to solve the problem.  

I grew up in a different world than a lot of the younger people have so I think things a little different. A lot of young people grew up in the era where it's wrong to hit your kids and to let them grow up how they see fit. I respect that but for me, I got my but whopped by my parents if I did anything wrong. Nowadays, that's called abuse. Thank god I grew up in my days cause if I grew up nowadays, I would probably not be as well off knowing my own personality of when I was young. I look back now and I think I probably needed that kick in the butt or I would have skipped doing a lot of stuff that benefits me now. On top of that, I developed tougher skin to deal with the real world when I grew up. Sometimes psychological pressure is needed to achieve more. Maybe I am too old but to me, what a lot of  what people call abuse, or wrong, I categorize it as "stuff happens" deal with it. Crawford, Sopel and Avery came up around my time. It wasn't so politically correct as it is now. Watch Sopel on the ice or Avery on the ice and tell me then a kick in the butt or the things Sopel said Crawford did can come close to what they did to other players on the ice. The way Avery played and offended others on and off the ice and to get offended off a Crawford kick? or Sopel and the way he played? I'm sorry you can disagree with me all you want but I hate people who can give it but can't take it.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, smokes said:

I grew up in a different world than a lot of the younger people have so I think things a little different. A lot of young people grew up in the era where it's wrong to hit your kids and to let them grow up how they see fit. I respect that but for me, I got my but whopped by my parents if I did anything wrong. Nowadays, that's called abuse. Thank god I grew up in my days cause if I grew up nowadays, I would probably not be as well off knowing my own personality of when I was young. I look back now and I think I probably needed that kick in the butt or I would have skipped doing a lot of stuff that benefits me now. On top of that, I developed tougher skin to deal with the real world when I grew up. Sometimes psychological pressure is needed to achieve more. Maybe I am too old but to me, what a lot of  what people call abuse, or wrong, I categorize it as "stuff happens" deal with it. Crawford, Sopel and Avery came up around my time. It wasn't so politically correct as it is now. Watch Sopel on the ice or Avery on the ice and tell me then a kick in the butt or the things Sopel said Crawford did can come close to what they did to other players on the ice. The way Avery played and offended others on and off the ice and to get offended off a Crawford kick? or Sopel and the way he played? I'm sorry you can disagree with me all you want but I hate people who can give it but can't take it.

I agree smokes

When I got the Wooden spoon, I was given ample warning

I once got the strap at school  grade 4 (Should I sue now) :), when my parents got home and found out, I got one from them as well (Never got it at school after that)

We kept scores in sports, we had to run in PE and were PUSHED to do the mile in a certain time

No one got driven to school like today either, it was embarrassing

Man changes and adapts

What was accepted back then isn't now, but as long as it was not overly abusive or sexual assault like Fleury had to deal with (which has never been acceptable) it was the way of life, just like today has their own

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Seems Burrows loved old Crow , as did most Senator players that played for him when asked last night . 

Scotty Bowmen once said even a good coach will only be popular with 2/3 rds of the team whereas a bad coach might only be liked by 1/3rd of the team.

(that leaves a lot of guys with an axe to grind.)

Apparently Avery is now saying Crow was his second favourite coach of all time now on Twitter. But former player Patric O’Sullivan can’t wait to lay into him with the Hawks investigation over alleged abuse. 

On 12/3/2019 at 6:25 PM, smokes said:

why should there be a time limit on you telling your life experience? 

What if the NHL put a statue of limitations of 10 years ? Beyond that it is no longer a dismissible offence? Surely whoever has allegations can present them before 10 years is up ? In no way do I support Bill Peters , but putting a policy in place is important going forward. The NHL should set a standard in writing.

• Upvote 1