The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 01, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

I would say both of Draisaitl's goals were results of broken plays which caused players to be out of position, so as they were tracking back the pass went against the grain. Also when McDavid is on the ice, you have to respect him. And to be fair, Draisaitl only had 1 PP prior to tonight, so it's not like what they've been doing has been very effective which means more focus has to be on McDavid and even Neal with his 10 PP goals so far.

Ovechkin is actually quite active and then just quietly sneaks into his spot while the play is being developed by other players of quality. Our PP kind of runs through EP more often than not (between him and Hughes) so the attention is generally drawn to him. Boeser has been a bit snake bitten and our passing hasn't been crisp to find him open for a solid opportunity so teams haven't had to respect as much this season so far. Our PP isn't even firing on all cylinders and yet still 4th in the league, not bad IMO.

Good post.  Especially like the last paragraph - not only is EP getting mugged all the time and drawing a ton of penalties - him and QH are the stick that stirs the PP - and it's clicking at the best rate it has in years (with the exception of BB rookie year).   Like almost a decade.   

In in today's game special teams are more important then ever before (zebras are whistle happy a-holes too often but might as well make lemonade out of it) - can't wait to see what these guys can do once they are seasoned pros.   It's a start of a beautiful thing.   Podz is already an expert at puck retrieval - when he comes we it will be like adding another Miller...he's a huge part of our team already...

• Cheers 2

listening to Ian Mac last night, made me really confused about Beagle and Sutter, he said they won't be ready to come back for about a week, no mention of Rousell and Ferland?   I love Beagle and Sutter and we need them on our team, but what the heck are they doing to be out every year so long. they were both supposed to be day to day , now they are week to week. does this have to do with our cap why they arn't back yet. does Benning need to send some down or make a trade or two? 

2 minutes ago, bree2 said:

listening to Ian Mac last night, made me really confused about Beagle and Sutter, he said they won't be ready to come back for about a week, no mention of Rousell and Ferland?   I love Beagle and Sutter and we need them on our team, but what the heck are they doing to be out every year so long. they were both supposed to be day to day , now they are week to week. does this have to do with our cap why they arn't back yet. does Benning need to send some down or make a trade or two? 

Teams can't keep players on IR if they are ready to go - they are at risk of getting fined or even losing draft picks.  

CapFriendly shows the Canucks with negative cap space - it does look like they need to make some moves.  Players on IR still count against the cap and they've been using Roussel's LTIR to get cap relief to recall players.  He's supposed to be coming off LTIR soon, so they won't be able to use his 3M anymore and need to find the space elsewhere to deal with injuries.  Maybe someone else goes on LTIR.  

49 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Nurse should be embarrassed by his clear diving. If the officials were any good, they’d have given him an embellishment penalty for sure.  

What they need to do is get rid of the 2 for tripping, or whatever, and the 2 for embellishment. This still encourages embellishment. At the minimum the one embellishing breaks even so there's no deterrent. I can't recall a player being penalized for embellishment only. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

What they need to do is get rid of the 2 for tripping, or whatever, and the 2 for embellishment. This still encourages embellishment. At the minimum the one embellishing breaks even so there's no deterrent. I can't recall a player being penalized for embellishment only. 

I can, but it is rare.

3 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Taylor Hall(I think it was Hall) when we played the Devils got called for embellishment when Petey "slammed" him into the boards. He jumped into them and got the only penalty 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, wloutet said:

I haven't time to read all ten pages of comments, but I haven't seen anyone comment on this:  There are two payers in the league, that I have seen, who "set up an office" on the power play. Ovechkin sets his up on the left and Draisaitl on the right. They both let their team draw the defense on a power play over to the opposite side, and then they get an open pass and slap shot it home. My question is why do the Canucks not keep one player watching this move? Last game versus Washington, I saw Ovechkin open for a shot at least four times, and last night, that is how Draisaitl got his two goals. In basketball defense we would call it a box and one, here we should use a triangle and one, with one person watching for that pass. Petterson used to do that for the Canucks on the power play, but you can see that the defense is much closer to him now, and he isn't as open.

In both plays, they moved the puck extremely well. 

McD on the first pp goal drew everyone to him. Both our D's got caught down low as they had 3 guys in there. 

When McD got the puck with that cross ice pass, we had to respect his shot as he had a clear shooting lane.

And McD just made a perfect between the leg pass across to Drai. It was just a nice pass across. EP40 made similar cross ice pass between 2-3 defenders' skates and sticks. Those are just nice plays. U dont fault our killers for not cutting that pass. 

Second pp goal was also an awkward play that we had a chance to win the puck battle down low. 

McD again made a really nice play as he basically threaded a pass (one of those that EP40 occasionally throws) to the guy in front of the net.

Our D did a good job covering him so the guy had to draw it back to Neal whom we collapsed right away.

Then Neal just made a really nice pass across as Drai found soft ice over on the other side again.

Here, again, we can't disrespect McD's shot as he has been on fire lately... Almost a goal per game pace in past dozen games or something. 

Both plays, McD just made a really nice read, sucked us in. And Drai found a soft ice. 

U claim that McD and Drai are two of the best players in the league right now. But u make it sound so easy to defend against them. 

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

One of the few things the MLS does well is to review dives after the game and fine players. I'd like to see that in the NHL as well.

It's already implemented.  Names are only released after the 2nd infraction.  At the 5th infraction the coach also gets fined.  

Hockey ops review every dive/embellishment call to ensure it was justified but also to make sure none were missed during the game.  A panel of 9 then review the potential infraction and if 6 of them agree then it gets recorded and the player is fined.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, mll said:

It's already implemented.  Names are only released after the 2nd infraction.  At the 5th infraction the coach also gets fined.  

Hockey ops review every dive/embellishment call to ensure it was justified but also to make sure none were missed during the game.  A panel of 9 then review the potential infraction and if 6 of them agree then it gets recorded and the player is fined.

Ty, thanks for the info. Seems that the process is needlessly complicated, and it's applied very rarely.

Nurse embellished but not flagrantly and he isn't exactly someone with a rep around the league as a diver or someone who plays "dirty". Gotta love the irony/timing of so much mention of diving after this game when they'll be honoring arguably the most prolific diver in Canuck (possibly NHL) history in the next game.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tyndall2 said:

Don't buy the 'tired after road trip' excuse.  That is on the coaching staff to manage minutes and the game.  Yes, Vancouver because of location has further to go but all teams face long trips throughout the year.  However, now that trip is done let's get back to some 'smart' hockey.  Petey and Boeser need to step up their games.  They are getting knocked off the puck too easily.  The powerplay, just like it was with the Sedins, has become too predictable.  The second unit has more success lately because they shoot and storm the net.  Maybe Green should put Hughes on the point with the second unit and see what happens.  And yes, I agree with need to get our gritty players back into the line up soon.

Really? Tell that to the commentators then, because they said they were even tired, and they don't even play the game.

2 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

Ty, thanks for the info. Seems that the process is needlessly complicated, and it's applied very rarely.

Neal was the 1st to have his name disclosed.  Gaudreau, Ehlers, Subban, Marchand, Rantanen, Kuznetsov, OEL are among those who have been fined.  The last one was Colin Miller at the end of last season - don't think there has been anyone yet this season.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Nurse embellished but not flagrantly and he isn't exactly someone with a rep around the league as a diver or someone who plays "dirty". Gotta love the irony/timing of so much mention of diving after this game when they'll be honoring arguably the most prolific diver in Canuck (possibly NHL) history in the next game.

no Burrows was a player that the fans actually loved, back when he played many  players on almost every team  dived. remember Marchand, he was the worst!  and this isn't the first time Nurse embellished , he does it almost every game. he has it down to an art