The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 01, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

31 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

Still wondering how the fu*k the league thought it would be ok to schedule a home game on the second night of a back to back after an 8k km 6 game road trip (7 game trip if you add last nights game) I'm surprised the boys had any gas left in the tank for last nights game.

Explains why they just couldn't get anything going in third. They looked dead tired.

I was happy to see them start strong though. Hopefully they start doing that consistently 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Explains why they just couldn't get anything going in third. They looked dead tired.

I was happy to see them start strong though. Hopefully they start doing that consistently 

They were trying but Nurse's acting skills impressed the officials.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

They were trying but Nurse's acting skills impressed the officials.

I forget who it was, but someone said they saw (or heard about) a Bantam team practicing diving, so they could get PP time.  What's happening to our once great game?  Are we becoming soccer?  :sick:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, wloutet said:

I haven't time to read all ten pages of comments, but I haven't seen anyone comment on this:  There are two payers in the league, that I have seen, who "set up an office" on the power play. Ovechkin sets his up on the left and Draisaitl on the right. They both let their team draw the defense on a power play over to the opposite side, and then they get an open pass and slap shot it home. My question is why do the Canucks not keep one player watching this move? Last game versus Washington, I saw Ovechkin open for a shot at least four times, and last night, that is how Draisaitl got his two goals. In basketball defense we would call it a box and one, here we should use a triangle and one, with one person watching for that pass. Petterson used to do that for the Canucks on the power play, but you can see that the defense is much closer to him now, and he isn't as open.

Better than average chance part of it had to do with fatigue...and Edler missing

They played the night before, and on the 3 PP Oilers had they never scored once... sure if that were the plan, they would have tried the same play on that occasion, but the defence were more alert... 

Edited by spook007

49 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

It’s a new month, clearly they thought we wouldn’t notice how dumb it is. Stupid Canucks’ fans, amirite?

caught me off guard looking at the CAnucks Nov schedule thinking we had 2 days off until the Sens roll in on Tuesday. And then I clicked onto Decembers schedule and had to do a few double takes to make sure i saw what I saw.

6 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You’re the whiniest poster on here by a country mile. 

No one asked for your opinion. Your posts are the most myopic on this site. If you can’t see (which clearly you can’t) that the officials in this league are absolute garbage, maybe you’re better off playing parcheesi or some other game. Take a hike. 

I speak real all, your still crying, wahhh we can’t win because it’s Gary’s league. You probably said that when we had a terrible team too and tell me I’m wrong there.

• Wat 1

Was it 80's night?

Oilers star player whining about a penalty call, then from there on the calls are lopsided in Oilers favor.

Regarding Boeser's fat lip non-call, was there anything in the rule book abt a goal negating a double-minor?  Shouldn't there at least still be one minor left after the goal, at least?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I would say both of Draisaitl's goals were results of broken plays which caused players to be out of position, so as they were tracking back the pass went against the grain. Also when McDavid is on the ice, you have to respect him. And to be fair, Draisaitl only had 1 PP prior to tonight, so it's not like what they've been doing has been very effective which means more focus has to be on McDavid and even Neal with his 10 PP goals so far.

Ovechkin is actually quite active and then just quietly sneaks into his spot while the play is being developed by other players of quality. Our PP kind of runs through EP more often than not (between him and Hughes) so the attention is generally drawn to him. Boeser has been a bit snake bitten and our passing hasn't been crisp to find him open for a solid opportunity so teams haven't had to respect as much this season so far. Our PP isn't even firing on all cylinders and yet still 4th in the league, not bad IMO.

Agree with you. Our zone defense is creating blind spots and leaving us vulnerable and out of position.

They lost sight of the open man both times with their backs turned. The first Draisaitl goal, we were scrambling back into zone position and were caught off balance with our backs to the play. The second goal, Daisaitl just had to stay where he was to remain open while our D followed the puck, again with our backs turned and way out of position. 

12 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Agree with you. Our zone defense is creating blind spots and leaving us vulnerable and out of position.

They lost sight of the open man both times with their backs turned. The first Draisaitl goal, we were scrambling back into zone position and were caught off balance with our backs to the play. The second goal, Daisaitl just had to stay where he was to remain open while our D followed the puck, again with our backs turned and way out of position. 

I think generally it's fine, could use some tuning of course, but McDavid isn't leading the league in points because he's not capable of exploiting these situations. I like to see how our PK would fare when we get back Beagle and Sutter along with Motte and Roussel. Those guys are pretty much all of our regular PK guys along with Horvat and Pearson I'd say. Didn't help to have Edler out as well. I know it sounds redundant to blame injuries, but I don't think it's really any surprise that our PK has been slipping of late with those guys out.

Motte and Roussel are quicker and could track the puck better while hopefully Sutter and Beagle are winning possession to break up the opportunities before they could even occur. The ripple effect to not have Horvat and Miller on the PK as often is not negligible either.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

2 bs calls on embellishment against and a non call on Tanev and Boeser will do that. Stop being deliberately obtuse...

Why would you assume that poster is being deliberately obtuse? Have you seen some indication that he and his buddies who are crapping all over the PGT, claiming that the reffing was fair and did not affect the game outcome, are not actually obtuse?

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Not sure there's provision or allowance despite that:

So are you not still responsible for making sure you don't, even if the guy's down?  I'd hope so or it could open up a whole can of "woops, didn't mean to/he was down" stuff.

Yes you are still responsible if a guy is down. But it's a slashing penalty then, not high sticking.

2 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

That is absolutely disgusting.  He should  be suspended if the league is serious about stopping that kind of crap.  Looks like a  European soccer player ffs.

Hopefully he pulled a groin muscle doing that Triple Lutz.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 4