The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The rising NHL powerhouse that Jim Benning constructed

Rate this topic

aGENT

22 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Just got word that a sister-in-law has rectal cancer. 

My Queen is not happy tonight. 

Fuk Cancer. 

Sorry to hear that....  F Cancer.

Hug your  queen tonight.  LIfe and love is precious. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 2

18 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Showed the same as those other numerous players. Then they're just very "unlucky" with this pick. Certainly isn't the first time. Rinse and repeat. It's disappointing.. 

Eh....???

Are you complaining about Benning general drafting?

20 hours ago, Yung1 said:

lol dude. He's hit on far more picks than he's missed. You have the pessimism infection and it's clouding your perspective from reality.

Do you really expect a 100% success rate? Do you really choose to ignore the massive wins in Boeser, Pettersson (off the board pick), and Hughes? Do you really choose to ignore the promise shown in a vast amount of our late round picks? I'm sorry man but you're totally out to lunch if you genuinely think drafting has been bad under Benning. To the contrary, it's best it's been in our franchises' 50 year history.

I didn't say it was bad. I said Juolevi is an obvious flop. Y'all can be as salty as you want about that but I've watched this team and game long enough to know that when you're a first rounder struggling at the AHL/can't stay healthy, you're in trouble. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Eh....???

Are you complaining about Benning general drafting?

This team and drafting in general; not Benning. I'm happy with him overall. But I've seen plenty of bad first round picks with this franchise and Juolevi is another. And considering who came right after him this looks extra bad. I'm certainly not the only one who thought this - go look at the old 2016 draft thread. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Everyone keeps pointing to drafting as it for a GM, but Jim's job is to manage the team and personnel, which includes coaching (Green), yes, drafting (Brackett), goalie coaching (Clarke), etc. There is so much more Jim also deserves credit for in addition to our new elite young core that gets overshadowed. He is running the show like gdang master.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

This team and drafting in general; not Benning. I'm happy with him overall. But I've seen plenty of bad first round picks with this franchise and Juolevi is another. And considering who came right after him this looks extra bad. I'm certainly not the only one who thought this - go look at the old 2016 draft thread. 

Thats a fair opinion... but since it was about Benning, it sounded like it was Bening you were gunning for...

If anything he has been a revelation with his drafting compared to what went on before him... But yes as every single GM in the league there will always be a few drafts the look back at and wish they drafted differently... be it because their pick did not live up to expectation, or got injure problems that derailed their potential... 

But compared to what were drafted under MG its night and day....

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I didn't say it was bad. I said Juolevi is an obvious flop. Y'all can be as salty as you want about that but I've watched this team and game long enough to know that when you're a first rounder struggling at the AHL/can't stay healthy, you're in trouble. 

he wasnt struggling in the ahl. it's literally just been injuries for juolevi. the ability is clear when he plays.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

he wasnt struggling in the ahl. it's literally just been injuries for juolevi. the ability is clear when he plays.

His plus minus was atrocious. 

For a guy who was on a bit of a gravy diet, that’s not a great sign. 

Stats are not the whole story, but that one is/was a conversation starter for sure. 

The team needed that pick to work out in the worst way.

MT worked out as advertised.

Now it’s OJ’s turn to at least play one damn game in Vancouver. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?

Eh what is this a blog from a CDC user?

Anyways JB is going to have to drastically improve his use of the cap or be replaced all together for this team to take the next step.  Just too much wasted cap in LE, Myers and Ferland contracts look to be awful beyond this year.  At this rate it'll be a struggle just to resign EP and QH.

• Haha 1

On 12/2/2019 at 2:32 PM, kilgore said:

Glass half full.  The trick will be to have most of our top prospects make it to the NHL.  And did we stock up enough in JB first years as GM, when now we are even borrowing future #1's to fill out our roster today.?   It may all work out. I hope it does.  A lot of things would have to work out. But we lucked out with a few picks lately that today would have been picked much higher. A Calder finalist, a Calder winner, and now another Calder contender.  I hold out hope that Tryamkin will come back and be regarded as another steal.

But just wondering how exactly do we "repeat (our) first Stanley Cup Championship"?  :blink:

Idk,

JB and Brackett have really killed it in the later rounds.  Getting a true top d man or forward is needed, that's already been achieved.  Based on this season, bening nominated for 3 consecutive Calder's without a top 3 pick is pretty exciting.  

Gaudette won the Hobey Baker as a 5th rounder and if he continues his scoring, he too could end up in the top 10 rookies this year.  

Hogslander is a 2nd rounder, Woo is a blue chip player.  Madden, Mikey and Lind look fantastic.  

The drafting record shows that JB can rock late 1st rounders and beyond.  

Brock Boeser.... 23rd OA.  Steal.  Looking at his best 3 picks, all steals where other teams passed on players that they shouldn't have.  Ep40, Hughes, Brock, Gaudette, Demko etc...  

The pipeline has no indication of stopping, maybe not a gush of new talent each draft, but a likely NHLer or more is the expectation now and it is entirely reasonable.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Eh what is this a blog from a CDC user?

Anyways JB is going to have to drastically improve his use of the cap or be replaced all together for this team to take the next step.  Just too much wasted cap in LE, Myers and Ferland contracts look to be awful beyond this year.  At this rate it'll be a struggle just to resign EP and QH.

Look at the expiring deals, likely increasing cap space each year and take away the hideous Luongo recapture penalty that should be challenged in court.  If Hossa can retire and Chicago gets off Scot free, then how is that any different with Lou retiring.  

The double standard inherent with this league is ridiculous.  

Other than the Eriksson anchor, we have very little keeping us from retaining our RFA's. BTW, almost any other player would of retired out of honor in Loui's situation.  The guy is a d bag and I hate seeing him on the ice or around our players.  

He should have been sent down months ago and never brought back.  Let him ride the bus to pick up his pay cheque.  He would go back to Europe is a month to the relief of everyone, including himself.  

On 12/2/2019 at 10:32 AM, kilgore said:

Glass half full.  The trick will be to have most of our top prospects make it to the NHL.  And did we stock up enough in JB first years as GM, when now we are even borrowing future #1's to fill out our roster today.?   It may all work out. I hope it does.  A lot of things would have to work out. But we lucked out with a few picks lately that today would have been picked much higher. A Calder finalist, a Calder winner, and now another Calder contender.  I hold out hope that Tryamkin will come back and be regarded as another steal.

But just wondering how exactly do we "repeat (our) first Stanley Cup Championship"?  :blink:

You can also say that we were unlucky in draft to not even draft above #5 when we finished 2nd last in one season and never picked above where we finished. We would have Laine if there was no lottery or there was a bit of luck on our side. We actually didn't luck out on the picks, and the picks we made was because our scout were knowledgeable enough to pick Hughes or Petersson and had them ranked high. The lottery involves luck, picking prospects isn't just luck but also requires some knowledge and scouting to get the right players.

You don't think luck is a part of it?

Obviously you are right that there is a lot of scouting work done before every draft. Every team does that. That's a given. The better the scouting, the less luck is involved. 

But they're is still is luck involved. No matter how well you scout. Alexander Daigle went #1, Pavel Datsyuk went #171st. I'm sure both Ottawa and Detroit (and probably every other team at the time) were convinced their player was picked at the spot they deserved to be picked.

Closer to home I'm sure that Benning was convinced Virtanen and Juelevi were going to be first line / first pairing players.

Alternatively, Boeser wasn't picked till 23rd. Overlooked by many teams expert scouting.

There's luck also because no GM has control over how fast that player develops in the years between the draft and their professional career, if they do at all. There's no control over injuries, or how injury prone.

A lot of factors. One of which is luck

Edited by kilgore