Sign in to follow this  
Singh13

[Rumour] Chandler Stephenson on the move

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

You do realize that with Graovac hurt, the Canucks currently only have 3 healthy centres, and none to recall from Utica who are on contract with the parent club right?

Regardless of whether he have a glut of forward depth, none of them help that need of a centre, especially with Beagle out without much disclosure the severity, Sutter's questionable return, and now Graovac out.

Did you do any research about Chandler Stephenson?  Besides perhaps only looking at hockeydb and looking purely at the stat line only?  How do you know he isn't good or better than options that we have?  He consistently has been in the lineup for the Capitals for 5 seasons now, a big contributor for their PK, averages 12 mins a game, is over 50% on the faceoff dot, from social media, reporters, and fans they all seem very concerned losing Stephenson.  He comes at a very very modest price at 1 million dollars, its not that significant.  Have you watched Chandler personally?  Other than the two games against us?  

When any player reaches the waiver wire, it is always a conversation to see if you can upgrade the team in any capacity if it can be freely done too.  This is a forum for conversation is it not to discuss?  Considering that this team is struggling and hasn't really been good as of late, I don't think its hard to fathom that the team might look to at pieces.  Also we are struggling on the PK right now, and Stephenson serves a role and a hole we have at the moment.

Chandler Stephenson would be a welcomed addition, once, we're healthy than we can have the conversation whether he is good enough to stick, but until then, I dont really see the harm in talking about whether he could contribute to the team or not.

The Canucks just put Ferland on LTIR because they were no longer cap compliant.  They have Roussel close to coming off LTIR and have to find the cap space to activate him.  Ferland is already skating with the team - it's only a temporary situation and they have to find cap somewhere.

Players on IR still count against the cap.  Cap relief is only received if the player goes on LTIR.  Players can go on LTIR if they are expected to miss at least 10 games / 24 days otherwise it's not an option.  

Stephenson is 1.05M so his cap hit could be fully buried. Still not sure that Benning wants to add when they need to clear cap to activate Roussel.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mll said:

The Canucks just put Ferland on LTIR because they were no longer cap compliant.  They have Roussel close to coming off LTIR and have to find the cap space to activate him.  Ferland is already skating with the team - it's only a temporary situation and they have to find cap somewhere.

Players on IR still count against the cap.  Cap relief is only received if the player goes on LTIR.  Players can go on LTIR if they are expected to miss at least 10 games / 24 days otherwise it's not an option.  

Stephenson is 1.05M so his cap hit could be fully buried. Still not sure that Benning wants to add when they need to clear cap to activate Roussel.  

You obviously know more about how the cap is managed than I do so I appreciate the info.

Couldn't the Canucks trade goldy (900k) for Stephenson (1.05m) just to fix the centre challenges.

Although how would they remain cap compliant when they want to bring both Ferland and Roussel back up? 

2 hours ago, the grinder said:

goldy can play center  but I doubt green is going to go that route but never say never  , sutter is close to returning  anyways 

If we are considering a winger to play center then we may as well try Leivo or Schaller. Just because a guy is listed or can "play" center doesn't mean it would work. Goldy is hardly defensively good enough as a winger, no chance he would be tried as a center at the NHL level.

If Sutter is indeed close, then this is moot. However the whole point of claiming him wouldn't be because he would take over a role, he would be a stop gap and we would just waive him again when guys are healthy.

4 hours ago, Singh13 said:

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2019/12/02/chandler-stephenson-was-not-on-the-ice-for-practice-due-to-a-pending-transaction/

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=130705

Even if it isn't a trade it would mean he'd be placed on the waiver wire as he is not exempt from waivers. Your thoughts Canucks fans? Should we claim him?

Who?

34 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

You obviously know more about how the cap is managed than I do so I appreciate the info.

Couldn't the Canucks trade goldy (900k) for Stephenson (1.05m) just to fix the centre challenges.

Although how would they remain cap compliant when they want to bring both Ferland and Roussel back up? 

Not sure Washington wants a player back - it would be for the AHL as they are limited cap wise with Hagelin coming off LTIR.  Stephenson was waived to start the season.  

Canucks probably already have to send Goldobin down to activate Roussel.  Per CapFriendly they are using over 4M in LTIR money.  Ferland can only cover up to 3.5M.  

Today the Blackhawks are playing shorthanded as they have so many injuries and no cap space.  After playing 1 game short-handed teams can invoke roster emergency exception.  It allows them to add a player with a cap hit of at most 800K who won't count against the cap.  I wonder if the Canucks won't have to do the same to deal with some of their short term injuries.  

Edited by mll
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1