The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

THIS HOCKEY WITCH HUNT HAS TO STOP!

Rate this topic

I like the concept of your post.  However, the NHL is the highest profile hockey has, and for young coaches to see what wrong coaching habits can do to the players is important.  Babcock and Peters have a lot of money.  They will be fine.  It seems Hockey coaches need to be better humans.  

• Cheers 2

I think coaches will have less and less impact on players moving forward. Their job will end up being: conduct practices, set rosters and discuss calls with the refs. That's about it If coaches can't yell at their players anymore, can they still yell at the refs? Everyone's got sensitive feelings all of the sudden lol

Who ruined the game?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think coaches will have less and less impact on players moving forward. Their job will end up being: conduct practices, set rosters and discuss calls with the refs. That's about it If coaches can't yell at their players anymore, can they still yell at the refs? Everyone's got sensitive feelings all of the sudden lol

Who ruined the game?

PC Police and SJW's.  Attack our national game.  I bet these two groups of bullies go after Timmy Ho Ho's next.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

PC Police and SJW's.  Attack our national game.  I bet these two groups of bullies go after Timmy Ho Ho's next.  

If an NHL team wants to pay me millions of dollars to play a childhood game, and have the adoration of thousands of fans, etc. the coaches can yell at me all they want lol

Heck, call me every name in the book if they'd like, I can't hear them with the wads of dough in my ears. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

If an NHL team wants to pay me millions of dollars to play a childhood game, and have the adoration of thousands of fans, etc. the coaches can yell at me all they want lol

Heck, call me every name in the book if they'd like, I can't hear them with the wads of dough in my ears. 

Plus, I've got plenty of padding too.  Kick me in the arse.  

17 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Who ruined the game?

First of all there are other ways of coaching your team besides yelling at them :picard:. Not that I care if a coach yells at his team or not. 

Who was complaining about the coaches yelling at them?

All I’ve seen about coaches is Babcock is a snake, good coach but a snake. Make sure rookies on his team cry.

Peters used a word he shouldn’t have and kicked/hit his players.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I was also just thinking about when I was a kid, going to an NHL game. It was an experience. Everyone there, was there for the game (fans didn't chat to eachother about what they did the previous weekend, or got distracted by some toy in their pocket (cell phones). And by experience, I mean the angry fans yelling at the most hated players on the other team or the refs. Fans were passionate, they cared about winning and losing, hockey WAS a religion. If some older dude in the stands was yelling at the refs, even using foul language, we kids laughed our butts off, because it was funny. Those were real good times at the games, we cheered heartily for our team, we hated the other team and we let them know. 

• Like 1

Hate the term witch hunt since I feel it gives credibility to Trump's endless ranting, but in this case I agree.  This whole drumming up things that happened 10+ years ago in order to sabotage someone's career has to stop.  If we're talking about a crime being committed (rape, sexual assault etc.) then you don't get a pass no matter how many years ago it happened, but people are getting all up in arms about words being said and in some cases some minor physical contact.  Yes that makes those people crappy human beings (at that point in time) but it fails to recognize that people grow and learn as life goes on.  If Babcock is still treating his players like crap the GMs around the league will hear about it and probably choose not to hire him, and that's their call.  But there's no reason why the "court of public opinion" needs to be involved at every turn.

• Upvote 1

There are a lot of different approaches to coaching. If I am being honest, my favourite coach I ever had was the most difficult I ever played for. He would yell at you, he would get up into your face, he would grab you by the facemask, the pads.

At the same time, he would know your interests and make conversation with you, he loved and cared about you.

For example, my Jr year of HS, I played RB and I fumbled the ball on back to back plays (both were exchange issues) he grabbed me by my facemask and told me to get it right or leave. I was a little hurt at the time, but I shook it off and finished practice. That same day, the yankees (my team and his team) were playing the a playoff after practice, and he saw me running to the bus stop. He picked me up and drove me home so I could get home to watch the game sooner and we bonded by listening to the game in the car. 

I love him to death and I feel incredibly privileged to have played in his program. If he ever was called out/sued for his coaching tactics, I would go to bat for him. I would go to the court proceedings to show support. People are getting too soft

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, VforVirtanen said:

Pretty sure it is illegal to assault adults, whether you are their coach or not. 

Don’t see the problem with holding people accountable for their past stupidity. 

Every case is different of course. 

I think sports falls under a different set of rules somehow than being out in the general public.  There are plenty of what would be determined assaults on the streets, that happen in every game in hockey.