The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

THIS HOCKEY WITCH HUNT HAS TO STOP!

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I wonder which artists and songs Peters attached the n word to?

10 bucks says nobody in those dressing rooms will ever say now. I wouldn’t say a word either. Too many ways to get twisted up. 

Wasn't this the original story?

- That Peters referred to music as n-music? (Paraphrasing)

According to Aliu, Peters walked into the dressing room and yelled something along the lines of "I'm tired of hearing your n***** $&!# music!" 

Sure, try to justify it by with the old "they say the word in songs" routine but that certainly doesn't make it acceptable for a middle-aged white boss to yell that a young black employee. 

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

According to Aliu, Peters walked into the dressing room and yelled something along the lines of "I'm tired of hearing your n***** $&!# music!" 

Sure, try to justify it by with the old "they say the word in songs" routine but that certainly doesn't make it acceptable for a middle-aged white boss to yell that a young black employee. 

Nope, not my intent here.

An old white male can’t say the things Chris Rock might say, I think is probably what you’re referring to, and you’d be right. 

Does the inverse of this racial slur stuff happen in the NBA or on a court in downtown Chicago, for instance? I wouldn’t know, but human nature would suggest it probably does. 

The N word isn’t the same as cracker, honkey, redneck whiteboard, etc, I understand the connotations are different. Still, I wonder where the line is anymore. The N word is popular culture in rap music, movies, whatever. Nobody will deny that.

Was Peters acting out of hate and vitriol for a certain race of people? Probably not, or so I’d hope not at least. Did he do exactly what Chris Rock would have done, comedy or not, if he had encountered thug music? The answer doesn’t belong to me. 

Unfortunately, a current aspect of our culture is caught up in gangsta glam, where the n word is more common than it deserves to be. I’d like to see it equally removed from all peoples’ vocabulary, not just those with certain skin colour. Get rid of the culture that celebrates the word. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

An old white male can’t say the things Chris Rock might say, I think is probably what you’re referring to, and you’d be right. 

Does the inverse of this racial slur stuff happen in the NBA or on a court in downtown Chicago, for instance? I wouldn’t know, but human nature would suggest it probably does. 

The N word isn’t the same as cracker, honkey, redneck whiteboard, etc, I understand the connotations are different. Still, I wonder where the line is anymore. The N word is popular culture in rap music, movies, whatever. Nobody will deny that.

Was Peters acting out of hate and vitriol for a certain race of people? Probably not, or so I’d hope not at least. Did he do exactly what Chris Rock would have done, comedy or not, if he had encountered thug music? The answer doesn’t belong to me. 

Unfortunately, a current aspect of our culture is caught up in gangsta glam, where the n word is more common than it deserves to be. I’d like to see it equally removed from all peoples’ vocabulary, not just those with certain skin colour. Get rid of the culture that celebrates the word. 

What it really all comes down to is history in the end. Because Europe took over most of the world, a lot of these connotations have taken place. It's why there isn't the white equivalent of a lot of these words.

Is it fair if we base things on history? Maybe, but then I would argue that that's the very problem we have in society: we are stuck in the past and all of these words that are deemed as "racist" are due to us being stuck in the past. What we really need in society is to get over what has happened and just move on as it would mean all of these words would be effectively meaningless at that point. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen any time soon, but it would be nice, because it would then mean everyone is truly being treated as equals.

Until then, I'll probably be risking what I say as I tend to be the kind of person who just speaks my mind. lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Morgan Freeman said, “If we want to get rid of racism, just stop talking about it”. 

All or nothing. Its actually “racist” to allow one person free reign to use a derogatory term, simply based on their skin color. 

It blows my mind, the hypocrisy and stupidity floating around. 

The world is like a big giant fart we are all inhaling. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Morgan Freeman said, “If we want to get rid of racism, just stop talking about it”. 

Yes he did. 

And he’s right. 

Tell that to some of those posting in here.

They’d have nothing to say if they couldn’t leverage oppression into their arguments. 

18 minutes ago, The Lock said:

What it really all comes down to is history in the end. Because Europe took over most of the world, a lot of these connotations have taken place. It's why there isn't the white equivalent of a lot of these words.

Is it fair if we base things on history? Maybe, but then I would argue that that's the very problem we have in society: we are stuck in the past and all of these words that are deemed as "racist" are due to us being stuck in the past. What we really need in society is to get over what has happened and just move on as it would mean all of these words would be effectively meaningless at that point. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen any time soon, but it would be nice, because it would then mean everyone is truly being treated as equals.

Until then, I'll probably be risking what I say as I tend to be the kind of person who just speaks my mind. lol

Its not words that hurt people. 

Its people, that let words hurt them. Doesnt matter what the word is. Doesnt matter. 

We learn from the past, not recreate it. Makes me shake my head at all the division between people, thats being created....for the people? 

Safespace my asshhh. Might as well throw a sign at the back of the “bus” saying “none of you people here”. 

Hypocrisy, and stupidity. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I wonder, was Akim just sitting there cranking his tunes in the room full of NHL players? Not that it matters much, but for a young guy trying to break into the league, he's got some nerve blasting his tunes like he's sitting in his livingroom. Put on some headphones dude. Obviously, Peters handled it poorly and should've just went over and shut it off without saying anything.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Its not words that hurt people. 

Its people, that let words hurt them. Doesnt matter what the word is. Doesnt matter. 

We learn from the past, not recreate it. Makes me shake my head at all the division between people, thats being created....for the people? 

Safespace my asshhh. Might as well throw a sign at the back of the “bus” saying “none of you people here”. 

Hypocrisy, and stupidity. 

And one thing I want to point out is that learning from the past is different than living in the past. If you're living in the past, you haven't learned from it. ;)

On 12/4/2019 at 10:28 AM, ItTakesAnArmy said:

So many of you posters aren't reading what is in the thread you are just trolling for attention.

This Hockey Witch Hunt is about going after coaches AFTER THEY HAVE ALREADY ALTERED or adjusted to new sensitivities.

AFTER

Did you miss the part where Peters had recently kicked players while working in Carolina? If it was only the one incident with Aliu then he could have likely apologized his way out of it. He's a successful coach who has used bad techniques. Plenty of those around, and not that he can't or hasn't changed, but it's a PR thing.

On 12/4/2019 at 11:17 AM, Tortorella's Rant said:

But this will never end. There are things we do today right now which are considered normal and fine which will be frowned upon in 10 years and everyone's going to be riding the apology train permanently. 

The N-word has never been right. Neither has kicking players. It's just like #metoo and other similar things, those were never fine but rather overlooked or ignored because people in power were allowed to abuse that privilege.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder, was Akim just sitting there cranking his tunes in the room full of NHL players? Not that it matters much, but for a young guy trying to break into the league, he's got some nerve blasting his tunes like he's sitting in his livingroom. Put on some headphones dude. Obviously, Peters handled it poorly and should've just went over and shut it off without saying anything.  

That's a pretty big assumption that Aliu was blasting his own tunes without regard for what anyone else in the dressing room wanted. And it was in the AHL that this particular incident happened, not the NHL.