The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Ottawa Senators at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 03, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if, and its a big if, what we saw last night was a real thing, it solves a couple of big issues. It gives AG a feisty winger and gives Jake a real spot. We'll just have to wait and see but man that could be a great 3rd line if the potential pans out. 

For me the big if is what happens when we play a good team (Sens are really bad IMO), and that line has to play in their own zone. I have no issues with anything else except for them getting scored on. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

i like Sutter but I wonder if he's just had too many groin injuries and surgeries to be able to play effectively anymore. I'm not sure its his spot to lose anymore. AG has to get far better on face offs tho. 

as long as AG is in the 30% range, he won't be supplanting anyone, imo.  I don't disagree about Sutter's durability, but he and Beagle (when healthy) give TG the freedom to use Bo in an almost exclusively offensive role, which is what we all want for Bo.

• Cheers 2

Just now, stawns said:

as long as AG is in the 30% range, he won't be supplanting anyone, imo.  I don't disagree about Sutter's durability, but he and Beagle (when healthy) give TG the freedom to use Bo in an almost exclusively offensive role, which is what we all want for Bo.

yeah thats pretty brutal. I haven't checked the game by game stats to see if he's improving or not tho. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah thats pretty brutal. I haven't checked the game by game stats to see if he's improving or not tho. 

last year he was around 40%, this year he's regressed and is around 33%.  I'd say he's being sheltered less this year though.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, MattJVD said:

Time to put him on Bo's RW? 

Bo's RW should have at least had Jake there weeks ago. I think it's safe to say Gaudette offensively is the best RW option for Bo's line as of right now. Although, over half of Gaudette's points are with the man advantage and defensively he is okay at best. I am guessing 5 on 5 they don't want him out there against the opponent's best players. Which is usually Bo's assignment especially with Beags and Sutter down. With that said, gotta reward the man for his play. I say stick him with Petey and Miller or with Bo and Pearson. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, knucklehead91 said:

Just throwing it out there, as it currently stands. We have 3 players in the top 30 in scoring. No other team has 3 players in the top 3.

I saw that yesterday....awesome!

We also have 5 in the top 50.  Pretty crazy.

11   Pettersson 32 points

16   JT Miller 29 points

26   Boeser 26 points

41   Horvat 24 points

50   Hughes 23 points

Edmonton has 1 & 2 overall but no one else in top 50.

Boston has 3 & 4 overall and 43rd overall.

Washington has 4 players in top 50.

St. Louis has 3 in top 50

Islanders have 1 player in top 50 with Barzal at 36.

Those are all the top teams in the NHL.

We just need most of our real top 9 players back and get secondary scoring to hopefully move up the standings. That secondary scoring is badly needed, although we have gotten some.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I really don't get TG's approach to Jake.  When put with Bo they had good chemistry, produced and were solid defensively when they were together.  The inexplicably he gets moved down the lineup, after playing better with bigger mins.  He shuffles him to the 4th, then 3rd line and he keeps producing.  It almost feels like they're intentionally suppressing him to get a friendly contract next time around.  Put him with Bo and leave him there.

As a hardcore Jake fan I am passed questioning his deployment. Lol. Anyone that may pay attention to my comments regarding Jake already know where I stand. Jake's versatility is a double edged sword. He can almost play anywhere and really with anyone. Which works for the coaching staff and in some cases against Jake.

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Those Frenchies may be annoying pests to play against, but boy are they all class (specifically Burr and Roussel). The arrow thing wasn't just a cool celebration, it had meaning to Burr and his relationship with Bourdon. Shame the media doesn't understand the meaning behind the goal celebration or has just forgotten.

• Cheers 4

Just now, xereau said:

Its not necessarily a negative thing. I think TG has enough confidence in Jake to move him around, and knows he can fit in anywhere. That's an extremely valuable asset. Some guys that get bumped around collapse. Jake doesn't. And I see this with several other players Benning has selected - jacks of all trades galore. Miller can play any position. Roussel will work on any line. Pearson to a lesser extent but still, he has the size to dominate in a checking role. Look at Schaller, he was actually driving that line last night at center.  Anyways, its very possible that people look at this only from a negative light. A few games ago, Jake was #2 on the team in points per 60, exclusively from the bottom 6 and zero special teams play. I am unsure now, but yeah, he is an accomplished role player already, and Green recognizes it.

I do agree with that too, but at some point he should be rewarded with a prolonged, consistent linemate and that would be good for Bo too.  Just once I'd like to see a long stretch with a healthy fwd group.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

I do agree with that too, but at some point he should be rewarded with a prolonged, consistent linemate and that would be good for Bo too.  Just once I'd like to see a long stretch with a healthy fwd group.

This is what I was thinking too. They have been on the team long enough to warrant having consistent line mates. Boes and Petey have this luxury but others are not so lucky. Yes we have injuries but we also have players such as Pearson and Leivo who are deployed on a multitude of lines also.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

That was meant solely for that other poster that is constantly negative about anything this team does.

In the regular season nothing is cut and dry win or lose you’re constantly gauging how your team compares to the best so negativity could be view as being realistic sometime it’s all up for enturpratation(probably spelt that wrong)

Good game. Great night. No one can deny their most recent travel schedule in the month of November continues to show its side effects as expected.

Im curious as to peoples thoughts on what the lineup is going to look like when healthy. I agree with some others that Gaudette is more suited for the winger role and would look good on Horvat's line with Pearson. Whilst Roussel has had chemistry with Bo in the past, I just don't see him as top 6 forward - not saying Pearson is either but believe him to be the better offensive option.

Im projecting the forward group to look like this

Miller Petersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Gaudette

Ferland Sutter Virtanen

Roussel Beagle Leivo

Motte

MacEwan

Eriksson, Schaller can be/should be moved on from. Whilst I like Schaller's game this season, I don't think he takes a spot from Leivo, Roussel, Beagle, Ferland, Sutter or Virtanen. Not much to say about Eriksson that hasn't already been said. He's played well the last few games but the speed, driver and determination just aren't there to be found.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

Good game. Great night. No one can deny their most recent travel schedule in the month of November continues to show its side effects as expected.

Im curious as to peoples thoughts on what the lineup is going to look like when healthy. I agree with some others that Gaudette is more suited for the winger role and would look good on Horvat's line with Pearson. Whilst Roussel has had chemistry with Bo in the past, I just don't see him as top 6 forward - not saying Pearson is either but believe him to be the better offensive option.

Miller Petersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Gaudette

Ferland Sutter Virtanen

Roussel Beagle Leivo

Motte

MacEwan

Eriksson, Schaller can be/should be moved on from. Whilst I like Schaller's game this season, I don't think he takes a spot from Leivo, Roussel, Beagle, Ferland, Sutter or Virtanen. Not much to say about Eriksson that hasn't already been said. He's played well the last few games but the speed, driver and determination just aren't there to be found.

This line up looks as good as any.

If they do get to the all healthy point with their forwards,it would be good to move a couple players off of our cap via trade and still stay competitive

The only options i see here are Leivo(1.5M) or Goldy (900K).

Would be nice to keep Schaller up as a healthy scratch or 4th liner, same as Motte, and Eriksson off to Utica.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Those Frenchies may be annoying pests to play against, but boy are they all class (specifically Burr and Roussel). The arrow thing wasn't just a cool celebration, it had meaning to Burr and his relationship with Bourdon. Shame the media doesn't understand the meaning behind the goal celebration or has just forgotten.

Or just maybe Batch (or whoever in the media asked the question) was being simpatico and knew the answer in advance, but was giving Rous the opportunity to articulate it and show his empathy for Alex.

The glass doesn't always have to be half empty.

Edited by Googlie
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Seannnp said:

Miller Petersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Gaudette

Ferland Sutter Virtanen

Roussel Beagle Leivo

Motte

MacEwan

Miller Petey Boes

Ferland Bo Virt

Rous Sutter AG

Pearson Beagle Leivo

Motte

LE

I expect Schaller gets nabbed on waivers

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Miller Petey Boes

Ferland Bo Virt

Rous Sutter AG

Pearson Beagle Leivo

Motte

LE

I expect Schaller gets nabbed on waivers

I'd keep Schaller over Eriksson

The 3 LWs are interchangeable according to chemistry with linemates.  Lots of options for Green.  Overall the FW lineup looks good.  Now what to do about the D lineup...

• Like 1