The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Trade Tanev for pick bring up Rafferty?

Scenario: Edler is back(rested, 100%) in January. Whoever filled in for him in Dec(say, Fanta & Brise), both looked good. They can handle a 5, 6 slot, late-season. Benn tries a few games on RH-side, & looks solid.

We get confirmation(quietly) that Tree is returning in March.

** ^If these things happened^ ** I'd look to deal Tanev in Jan, Feb. Either a 1st, or 2nd/solid prospect. Also Stecher is possible, although just one or the other.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Throckmorton said:

Wow get a girlfriend buddy or at least some hand cream...blow off some of that anger its a blog not real life...

lol I guess anyone who disagree with your opinion is angry apparently?

Like you said it's a blog...what did you expect?  Congratulations? A medal?  A job offer in communication?  Everyone to agree with your opinion?  Maybe If I add some emojis :wub: :P ;) I'll sound less angry :bigblush:

36 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

lol I guess anyone who disagree with your opinion is angry apparently?

Like you said it's a blog...what did you expect?  Congratulations? A medal?  A job offer in communication?  Everyone to agree with your opinion?  Maybe If I add some emojis :wub: :P ;) I'll sound less angry :bigblush:

That's great thanks so much doesn't it feel better? Have a great day at school and wear your jacket at recess it's chilli out there today...and ya this is PlayStation ...heads up none of this is real.

9 hours ago, Unknown1995 said:

this. 

If we lose Tanev, we lose our best shutdown defensemen. There is no one in the system like him right now. We need him more than people want to admit we do. Just because he is injury prone doesn't mean he's useless. 

Actually there is a shutdown defence man in Utica. Teves. He just won't put up points. The reason people look at Rafferty is he also provides offence. And is a right hand shot.

It just means our defence will look different. And maybe healthier. Once again depends what teams are interested and if a deal can be made. 

$4.45 million in cap space offsets the buyout of Spooner and the recapture penalty of Luongo. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Is it showing in the record books?  No....so yes 0 games!  Can't believe you are arguing this, preseason games with 1/2 of AHL players don't count!  I guess any AHL players with better stats than Tanev's are defacto better NHL players than him.  Maybe in 5 years yes, but not at the moment.

Look, I'm not against bringing up Rafferty, see how he does, but trading Tanev to make room for him seems premature.    If Rafferty comes up and proves over a span of 30-40 games that he can play in the NHL and take 18-20 minutes per games, then maybe we could entertain the option of moving Tanev.   But again, I'd rather have depth for the stretch and the playoffs rather than getting a few trivial picks for Tanev.

Au contraire... He played 2 games at the end of last season after NCAA ended.

I agree with the rest.

• Cheers 1

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 12:08 PM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Juolevi hasn’t played any meaningful stretch of professional games in two years.  WAY too early to even consider him as a possible call up in the near future (especially since he’s just skating in practice with the Comets right now).  I’d put Woo ahead of him at the moment just for that fact alone right now.  

I heard OJ had some sort of hip issue.

• Cheers 1

To trade Tanev or not is based on the below:

1.  Returns, should Tanev get back early 2nd round pick or better?

2.  Cap space,  Canucks need cap space for another important piece?

3.  Replacement,  Any players could be brought up from AHL with the same level of Tanev?

All the above three questions, I prefer, NO.

Just think that If BN could get Tree back in March, there might be workable to trade Tanev to create cap room.

32 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

To trade Tanev or not is based on the below:

1.  Returns, should Tanev get back early 2nd round pick or better?

2.  Cap space,  Canucks need cap space for another important piece?

3.  Replacement,  Any players could be brought up from AHL with the same level of Tanev?

All the above three questions, I prefer, NO.

Just think that If BN could get Tree back in March, there might be workable to trade Tanev to create cap room.

Tanev, as a coming UFA, would absolutely return a late first or two later seconds.  We are keeping him though, so the point is moo - as Joey would say. 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Tanev, as a coming UFA, would absolutely return a late first or two later seconds.  We are keeping him though, so the point is moo - as Joey would say. 

May be off topic a bit but we need to clear 3 million in cap space to bring Ferland and Sutter back off ltir...how ? Nobody wants any of the other pieces...baer, Loui,  Sutter, Bragle. Tanev would seem to be the only piece other teams would want , yes he is hard to replace I never advocated trading him it was more about discussion..I love the guy but how do we deal with the cap too? Looking for answers.

Edited by Throckmorton

54 minutes ago, Throckmorton said:

May be off topic a bit but we need to clear 3 million in cap space to bring Ferland and Sutter back off ltir...how ? Nobody wants any of the other pieces...bear, Loui,  Sutter etc. Tanev would seem to be the only piece other teams would want , yes he is hard to replace I never advocated trading him it was more about discussion..I love the guy but how do we deal with the cap too? Looking for answers.

Totally agreed the cap issue is very difficult to solve. I have no answer about that. Hoping BN has a plan in his mind.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Throckmorton said:

May be off topic a bit but we need to clear 3 million in cap space to bring Ferland and Sutter back off ltir...how ? Nobody wants any of the other pieces...baer, Loui,  Sutter, Bragle. Tanev would seem to be the only piece other teams would want , yes he is hard to replace I never advocated trading him it was more about discussion..I love the guy but how do we deal with the cap too? Looking for answers.

Cap

Cap not really an issue once everyone is back healthy. It is more about roster spots. We will easily be under cap limit.

We are at $85.4m including current roster plus all injured players.

Once Ferland, Sutter, Beagle, Motte, Edler return.

We reassign Dipietro, Chatfield, Graovac, MacEwen, Goldobin.

This would reduce cap by about $4m and is enough to bring us under the cap limit. However, we would need to reduce by one more roster spot to reach max of 23.

So we waive Eriksson which reduces cap by a further $1m approx.

This reduces cap to about $80.3m, and leaves us with 14F, 7D, 2G.

This assumes no one else is injured in the mean time, but cap is not really an issue.

One thing JB needs to consider is this year’s bonuses that may need to be paid to Petey, Gaud and Hughes. This could come to $4.55m. I would like to see him find a home for Baer and move on from his buried contract.

Perhaps OTT would be interested for their top 6. He would be an upgrade on Nick Paul. And they only have 4 forwards contracted for next season, plus they are looking for picks for their rebuild. Something like:

To OTT: Baer, 2020 3rd

To VAN: 2020 4th

This brings us down to about $77m and creates space to cover the potential performance bonuses.

Oh and don’t trade Tanev. Please resign him!!! He’s a warrior for the Nucks!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Cap

Cap not really an issue once everyone is back healthy. It is more about roster spots. We will easily be under cap limit.

This would reduce cap by about $4m and is enough to bring us under the cap limit. However, we would need to reduce by one more roster spot to reach max of 23.

This assumes no one else is injured in the mean time, but cap is not really an issue.

One thing JB needs to consider is this year’s bonuses that may need to be paid to Petey, Gaud and Hughes. This could come to $4.55m. I would like to see him find a home for Baer and move on from his buried contract.

Perhaps OTT would be interested for their top 6. He would be an upgrade on Nick Paul. And they only have 4 forwards contracted for next season, plus they are looking for picks for their rebuild. Something like:

This brings us down to about $77m and creates space to cover the potential performance bonuses.

Thanks for clarifying...I don't know enough about the CAP nuances to be honest and every time I read an article it seems to get more and more complicated so I move on lol.

9 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Cap

Well constructed post but I think we move on from Tanev in the name of progression. He is becoming less valuable as our team emerges. We should be able to find someone to do what he does that is younger with more upside.

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Well constructed post but I think we move on from Tanev in the name of progression. He is becoming less valuable as our team emerges. We should be able to find someone to do what he does that is younger with more upside.

Thanks.

Brett Pesce springs to mind. Would be a perfect fit and could do what Tanev does. But Canes are not giving him up for nothing/anything.

I think it’s easy to find someone but not so easy to afford them. Tanev could be resigned for a modest amount. He and Edler will buy us a couple more years to develop the rest of our young top 4 D. 

• Cheers 1

On 12/4/2019 at 8:11 PM, RetroCanuck said:

No one is as good as Tanev defensively when he's healthy. Hard guy to replace, but if he consistently misses about half the season then whats the difference? Someone fills his role then out of necessity anyways. 

Tanev does not miss anywhere near half a season most years.  See below:

dubas.PNG.3e3e2f03bcb6387cd6255b29cc542385.PNG

The hyperbole on here is always so thick.

Tanev played the following percentage of games in the last 6 years:

18/19  67%

17/18  51%

16/17  65%

15/16  84%

14/15  85%

13/14  78%

So in the last 6 years Tanev played only half the games ONCE.  He played 65% and 67% of games in 2 of the last 3 years. Not anywhere close to just "half" the games.

The people on here saying he barely plays any games are laughable. Yeah...he misses games. But not nearly as many as most Tanev haters like to say.

Not a single AHL D man that we currently have could fill Tanev's shoes defensively in the NHL. They could barely carry his jockstrap.  

Edited by Kanukfanatic

7 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

I would be interested in knowing when was the last time a team went deep into the playoffs with three rookie dman? (43, Tree, Rafferty)

I would be interested in knowing how Tryamkin would be considered a rookie after playing 79 NHL games.

That said, the point stands. A Tanev trade will only happen if the Canucks are out of a playoff spot at the deadline. No other situation would make sense.