The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Smart money - leaving Alberta

kingofsurrey

5 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I’m glad, that’s probably the height of your capabilities. 

Although that’s a hybrid and not a pure electric vehicle, apples to oranges.

Yeah you're right, most canadians live in such polar conditions for 6 months of the year that they can't possibly use electric vehicles because those things you said are definitely true. 

3 minutes ago, inane said:

Yeah you're right, most canadians live in such polar conditions for 6 months of the year that they can't possibly use electric vehicles because those things you said are definitely true. 

No need to get angry.  Just because your city doesn’t see sub zero temperatures for 6 months and -20 to -30 for 3-4 of those months doesn’t mean that places like Prince George, Dawson creek, Regina, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Yellowknife, Toronto, Thunder Bay, Montreal, etc etc don’t. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

No need to get angry.  Just because your city doesn’t see sub zero temperatures for 6 months and -20 to -30 for 3-4 of those months doesn’t mean that places like Prince George, Dawson creek, Regina, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Yellowknife, Toronto, Thunder Bay, Montreal, etc etc don’t. 

Who is angry? I'm just laughing at your black and white world. 

Good friend lives in Calgary and drives a tesla every day. Imagine that!

1 hour ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I’ve got a diesel 1-ton dually. But then again I support Canadian gas and oil and fellow blue collar Canadians.

I had my roof redone this summer and use plastic bags.  Therefore I also support oil and gas and blue collar workers?

Only the most extreme idiots think that stopping any and all use of oil and gas exploration is possible.  Much like only the most extreme idiots think that it is the only way to go for the near future.

A slow divesting and moving away is smart and proper.  Which of course means the growth of and investment in to renewable sources of which there are many options.  As for "but batteries/turbines/solar is bad too" well duh.  But if you think oil and gas is bad now, look back even 40 years ago.  FAR FAR worse.  Things get better by investing in them and making them better.

No need to dig in our heels, we needed to start this growth a decade ago but....

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

The majority of Canadians live in places where electric cars are of no use for 6 months of the year.

As for the rest of what I said, I was making the implication that you’re nothing more than a hypocrite. You can’t criticize the oil and gas industry when you use many of the products that come from there and expect to be taken seriously.

If this is your line of thinking, I suppose you only drink and bathe with polluted water, eat food grown/living from polluted soil, never ride a bike or walk anywhere etc, etc?

Betterment is never an all or nothing exercise. It's an exceedingly poor argument. 

Do better.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

If this is your line of thinking, I suppose you only drink and bathe with polluted water, eat food grown/living from polluted soil, never ride a bike or walk anywhere etc, etc?

Betterment is never an all or nothing exercise. It's an exceedingly poor argument. 

Do better.

No, but I could care less about the environment. It’ll survive long after humans do so I’m not worried about it. 

• Wat 1

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I had my roof redone this summer and use plastic bags.  Therefore I also support oil and gas and blue collar workers?

Only the most extreme idiots think that stopping any and all use of oil and gas exploration is possible.  Much like only the most extreme idiots think that it is the only way to go for the near future.

A slow divesting and moving away is smart and proper.  Which of course means the growth of and investment in to renewable sources of which there are many options.  As for "but batteries/turbines/solar is bad too" well duh.  But if you think oil and gas is bad now, look back even 40 years ago.  FAR FAR worse.  Things get better by investing in them and making them better.

No need to dig in our heels, we needed to start this growth a decade ago but....

I think the other thing people miss or are unaware of is how much industry uses up rss of all kinds, also the army. I don’t see the armies of the world abandoning oil and gas anytime soon. 

3 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

No, but I could care less about the environment. It’ll survive long after humans do so I’m not worried about it. 

The humans surviving would be the issue.

Again, this is pretty poor logic. Of course the planet will be fine. It might take a few millennia but it's survived far worse than human caused pollution. Do you however have some twisted desire to see humanity's time on the planet cut short at our own doing? Do you wish to see massive climate/weather/drought issues and polluted water and soil choke the ability for current life on this planet to survive? Oceans polluted with plastic and acidified? Oxygen depletion? Mass extinction and starvation (of not just us but most currently existing life)?

If so, seek help as that's a sociopathic attitude.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

The humans surviving would be the issue.

Again, this is pretty poor logic. Of course the planet will be fine. It might take a few millennia but it's survived far worse than human caused pollution. Do you however have some twisted desire to see humanity's time on the planet cut short at our own doing? Do you wish to see massive climate/weather/drought issues and polluted water and soil choke the ability for current life on this planet to survive? Oceans polluted with plastic and acidified? Oxygen depletion? Mass extinction and starvation (of not just us but most currently existing life)?

If so, seek help as that's a sociopathic attitude.

In the words of Jacob Rothschild; “There’s over 7.3 billion people on this earth & less  than the .3 billion deserve to live”

23 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

In the words of Jacob Rothschild; “There’s over 7.3 billion people on this earth & less  than the .3 billion deserve to live”

So doubling down on sociopath.

Good luck to you sir but don't be shocked the rest of us don't share your $&!# where you eat and &^@# everyone else but me, view.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Climate change: Oceans running out of oxygen as temperatures rise

By Matt McGrathEnvironment correspondent, Madrid

Climate change and nutrient pollution are driving the oxygen from our oceans, and threatening many species of fish.

That's the conclusion of the biggest study of its kind, undertaken by conservation group IUCN.

While nutrient run-off has been known for decades, researchers say that climate change is making the lack of oxygen worse.

Around 700 ocean sites are now suffering from low oxygen, compared with 45 in the 1960s.

Researchers say the depletion is threatening species including tuna, marlin and sharks.

The threat to oceans from nutrient run-off of chemicals such as nitrogen and phosphorus from farms and industry has long been known to impact the levels of oxygen in the sea waters and still remains the primary factor, especially closer to coasts.

However, in recent years the threat from climate change has increased.

19 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I think the other thing people miss or are unaware of is how much industry uses up rss of all kinds, also the army. I don’t see the armies of the world abandoning oil and gas anytime soon. 

Oh man it's absolutely going to be using gas and petroleum products for the next 100 years.  

That doesn't mean we cannot start changing now.  If we create a market for renewable energy products in excess of petroleum energy based products than of course the markets/corps will follow.

We just have to create the demand