The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

P.E.I. man wants to know why he pays HST on electricity he generates himself

Ryan Strome

anything hooked up to a meter must be subject to HST. Does he get paid for what he puts on the grid? He'd get the HST back for that power at least.

You'd think with a smart meter this could get worked out as to what he generated and what he took/gives to the grid. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

anything hooked up to a meter must be subject to HST. Does he get paid for what he puts on the grid? He'd get the HST back for that power at least.

You'd think with a smart meter this could get worked out as to what he generated and what he took/gives to the grid. 

why?

• Upvote 1

This story is 2 years old. They covered this guy again in 2018 and also again this year. PEI introduced a 10% HST rebate. Not much but it's a start.

Unfortunately this guy is way ahead of everybody else and bureaucracy hasn't caught up to him yet.

I'm sure he can handle paying an extra $100 a year if he can afford $42k in renovations.

Just now, Baer. said:

This story is 2 years old. They covered this guy again in 2018 and also again this year. PEI introduced a 10% HST rebate. Not much but it's a start.

Unfortunately this guy is way ahead of everybody else and bureaucracy hasn't caught up to him yet.

I'm sure he can handle paying an extra $100 a year if he can afford $42k in renovations.

Pretty much what I was thinking as well. It's not like Canada is littered with 'net zero' homes.

9 minutes ago, Baer. said:

lol

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

must be how the regulations work in PEI. They were probably in place long before anyone thought of homes that were net zero or energy producing. 

Must be.

These things should be amended immediately and reimbursement retro dated.

Meanwhile oil is exempt.

Gross.

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Must be.

These things should be amended immediately and reimbursement retro dated.

Meanwhile oil is exempt.

Gross.

home heating oil tanks are way more common out east than it is here in BC. Must have been an election goodie.