The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Buffalo Sabres at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 07, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

27 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

You probably move on from a winger rather than a centre such as Beagle.

We have already seen how important he and Sutter are to this team. They take defensive pressure off the top lines.  So I think it would be the wrong move to move Beagle or Sutter.

Pick the least effective winger.

Edited by fecklund

10 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I guess it will come down to what Green values the most. The worst ppg players are below:

dubas.PNG.9144342151022a0031479d2d125658ef.PNG

Eriksson is obviously gonna be gonzo. So the choice for the next guy to either get traded or waived may be Schaller or Motte.  I don't think Beagle goes anywhere because of his centre position.

Schaller and Motte both have expiring contracts at the end of the season but their salaries are $1.9m and $925,000 respectively. Letting them walk  and replacing them with call-ups won't free up nearly enough cap space. That leaves LE and Beagle. Since no sober GM would even consider taking on Loui's contract that leaves Beagle as the only viable option. Like I said above, he's 34 so he's only going to get slower from here on out. I think the time to move him is after this season.

Quick look at the ice time...  Every single one of our forwards had more then 12 minutes of ice time except for Ferland who only got a shade under 9 in his first game back.  Virtanen, Rousell and Gaudette look like they didn't have much ice time at 13 mins but if you consider the fact that they don't play on special teams, you see that they were out there for a regular shift just like our top two lines. 

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Quick look at the ice time...  Every single one of our forwards had more then 12 minutes of ice time except for Ferland who only got a shade under 9 in his first game back.  Virtanen, Rousell and Gaudette look like they didn't have much ice time at 13 mins but if you consider the fact that they don't play on special teams, you see that they were out there for a regular shift just like our top two lines. 

Virtanen played on the penalty kill, did he not? Gaudette's on the 2PP, isn't he?

22 minutes ago, bree2 said:

boeser has 28 points in 30 games,  you say the line isn't producing much 5v5, and that is all Boeser's fault? have you checked the points this line has? why change that.

Maybe not, but I still think it's time to shake up the line a bit, and the most logical option would be to move Boeser to Bo's line. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Virtanen played on the penalty kill, did he not? Gaudette's on the 2PP, isn't he?

Hmmm, you might be right although I don't remember seeing them out there.  I know that Schaller and Beagle were our mainstay PKers and I saw JT Miller and Pearson out there as well.  

I don't remember seeing our 2nd PP unit out there all night but my medium term memory has seen better days after I discovered Mary Jane :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

You have to be in the right spot at the right time anywhere on the ice for a takeaway. IQ definitely plays a large role to excel at takeaways. 

Nah, high iq is also take in a lot of other information and process it simultaneously. 

1 minute ago, bree2 said:

like I said before, that was already tried!

For how long? 

Boeser and Bo have played extremely well together in the past, and both Petey and Miller have the ability to play with pretty much anyone. Their 5v5 production isn't what it should be and neither Boeser or Pettersson are passing the eye test right now. I think they've become too passive playing with each other. Both guys are capable of doing better than they are, and if a line shakeup is what it takes, then I'm all for it. 

14 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Schaller and Motte both have expiring contracts at the end of the season but their salaries are $1.9m and $925,000 respectively. Letting them walk  and replacing them with call-ups won't free up nearly enough cap space. That leaves LE and Beagle. Since no sober GM would even consider taking on Loui's contract that leaves Beagle as the only viable option. Like I said above, he's 34 so he's only going to get slower from here on out. I think the time to move him is after this season.

In his defence Beagle is probably the hardest working fitness freak on the team, he can keep up with 20 year olds no problem. He  kinda defies his age and he is level headed when the young guys don’t know how to hold onto a lead late in the game.

you didn’t mention Sutter though .

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Negative. Beagle brings the experience and intangibles needed on a young roster. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Yes! Markstrom must be re-signed in the off season and he is going to want a raise. The question is who can we move to clear up cap space? LE is the obvious choice but barring a miracle it is going to have to be someone else. Beagle has my vote. He's 34, is signed at $3m, and doesn't contribute much offensively. Don't get me wrong he's a good shutdown guy, but someone will have to be moved and Guad  has proven this season he is ready to step in as a full time NHL center making Beagle expendable.

canucks have $17,188,461  in projected cap space available for next season

if the cap goes up .. let's say 2 million, they'll have 19 million

they have 14 players already signed

and biggest offseason signing in terms of average annual salary is markstrom

this seems to be very doable

and not worth worrying too much about

nobody needs to be moved to accomplish this signing

too many people are fixated on loui

his contract should be viewed as a forced savings plan

to make sure there is money

when ep40 and hughes need to be resigned

canuck salary cap is in good shape in my view

Edited by coastal.view
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Seinfeld said:

Boeser with 2 secondary assists, but was invisible the whole game. 

It's going to be impossible to convince people that he's playing poorly when they'll just say "But look at his PointzZZzzZz!!".

An acceptable slump.

12 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

In his defence Beagle is probably the hardest working fitness freak on the team, he can keep up with 20 year olds no problem. He  kinda defies his age and he is level headed when the young guys don’t know how to hold onto a lead late in the game.

you didn’t mention Sutter though .

So I guess we should just let Markstrom walk at the end of the season since we can't afford to give him a raise and giving up on 34 year old Beagle is not an option.  Who needs goaltending when you have a shut down 4th line center that pots 3 goals a season, right?

Sutter is a more dynamic player. He can play a 200ft game. IMO Sutter>Beagle because he can play the shutdown/PK role but can also make heads up offensive plays that lead to goals. His biggest weakness obviously is his recurrent injuries. He's definitely a trade option too, as is Baertchi. Pretty sure Baertchi is being shopped regardless already as $3.6m is way too much to be paying for an AHL'er. Hopefully someone willing to pick him up will come along similar to what happened with Gagner last season.