The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Buffalo Sabres at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 07, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

So I guess we should just let Markstrom walk at the end of the season since we can't afford to give him a raise and giving up on 34 year old Beagle is not an option.  Who needs goaltending when you have a shut down 4th line center that pots 3 goals a season, right?

Sutter is a more dynamic player. He can play a 200ft game. IMO Sutter>Beagle because he can play the shutdown/PK role but can also make heads up offensive plays that lead to goals. His biggest weakness obviously is his recurrent injuries. He's definitely a trade option too, as is Baertchi. Pretty sure Baertchi is being shopped regardless already as $3.6m is way too much to be paying for an AHL'er. Hopefully someone willing to pick him up will come along similar to what happened with Gagner last season.

you make vague silly statements about next year's cap issues

provide details, actual numbers, of the problem you see for next season

otherwise you are just being negative for no reason other then you feel like it

i have set out some numbers above in a previous post

and i see little problem for next season

we keep everyone we currently have signed

and still there is ample cap to sign markstrom

(gaudette, motte, tanev, stetch, and virt too . unless someone is seeking a biggish increase

and enough to sign 3 more to cheap contracts)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Edit: some Tampa fans must be pissed and think the team traded the wrong player in JT Miller. Big body, hard fore check, scoring machine, leader. 

And, per the eye test, when he engages "hustle" gear, as fast as Virtanen

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seinfeld said:

Boeser with 2 secondary assists, but was invisible the whole game. 

It's going to be impossible to convince people that he's playing poorly when they'll just say "But look at his PointzZZzzZz!!".

Does it matter? We can still win without Boeser. It proves that we are a morw complete team without Boeser and Petterson  scoring all the goals *cough Oilers*

He will come around. Relax. Maybe hes not 100%?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

canucks have $17,188,461  in projected cap space available for next season

if the cap goes up .. let's say 2 million, they'll have 19 million

they have 14 players already signed

and biggest offseason signing in terms of average annual salary is markstrom

this seems to be very doable

and not worth worrying too much about

nobody needs to be moved to accomplish this signing

too many people are fixated on loui

his contract should be viewed as a forced savings plan

to make sure there is money

when ep40 and hughes need to be resigned

canuck salary cap is in good shape in my view

I'm not sure how you figure we're in good shape. Currently we're $2m over the cap (which is ok right now since some of it is buried in the AHL/LTIR). If we re-sign everyone that has an expiring contract at the EXACT SAME SALARY as they currently make we'll still be above the cap next year ( or at the cap if it increases by $2m). Other notable contracts expiring are Tanev, Stecher, JV, and less notable Schaller, Leivo, Motte.  If Marky wants a raise someone is going to have to be traded for a cheaper player in order to be able to make that happen. 

23 minutes ago, Law of Goalies said:

I didn't watch the game as it was a 5 am start here in Asia. Did I read that Jake got OT minutes? Also, watching the highlights and reading 15 pages of comments, seemed like a fun for fans but bad for coaches type of game

No, JV didn't play in OT.

• Wat 1

2 hours ago, MattJVD said:

3rd period play was decent. Sabres were granted 4 straight pps. Montour hit Bo directly in the head, no call, and then the concussion spotters took Bo out of the game. Not having Horvat hurt our ability to defend the lead.

We did not play the 6 on 5 well at all though. All the skaters were stationary and collapsed to the net, 0 pressure on the puck carrier, that was frustrating.

Thanks for the detailed summary.  Sounds like the typical, protect the lead in the third strategy we've seen before but glad we got the full points !  GCG !!

Edited by ShawnAntoski

35 minutes ago, Tracksuit said:

Wow officiating was a total joke.

so Horvat gets basically a major and the guy who hit him gets nothing....seems fair. 

Gaud AR and JV are a great line. 

Nucks in there own zone are a total mess. 

They're doing their best to resurrect the "REF YOU SUCK" chant. Loved that, the refs absolutey deserved it in this one. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Virtanen played on the penalty kill, did he not? Gaudette's on the 2PP, isn't he?

He's had 50 seconds of PK time in 30 games this season, and I'm pretty sure is was an OT 3 on 4 early on - he recorded 1 hit as I recall.

Last season he had 1:46 of PK time in the entire season

Which I find strange.  When Green coached in Utica, and Jake was sent down, he was on first PK unit there,  and did really well.  Speed burns on the PK (for those of us old enough to remember ...Bure and Russ Courtnall together - opposition at times were afraid to cross our blue line for fear of being burned.) That's why I'd love to see Jake and Petey on a PK unit (or Jake and Miller, need someone to win a faceoff)

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Googlie said:

He's had 50 seconds of PK time in 30 games this season, and I'm pretty sure is was an OT 3 on 4 early on - he recorded 1 hit as I recall.

Which I find strange.  When Green coached in Utica, and Jake was sent down, he was on first PK unit there,  and did really well.  Speed burns on the PK (for those of us old enough to remember ...Bure and Russ Courtnall together - opposition at times were afraid to cross our blue line for fear of being burned.) That's why I'd love to see Jake and Petey on a PK unit (or Jake and Miller, need someone to win a faceoff)

Actually I think he got PK minutes was the game in Pittsburgh when he and petey was sent out to try to tie the game.

I don't think he got any OT time this season so far.

Edited by Law of Goalies

Sorry everyone.  I missed the entire game.  I was elbow deep in the family businesses central invoicing system for hours.  One of my relatives managed to fubar it and I had to un-fubar it.

From what I could see from the box stats, my crappy goaltending prediction was right on the nose.

What did I miss?  I'm sure there was plenty of whining about refereeing as always, but what happened with Demko's poor stats this game?  His fault?  The defence's fault? 

I already know Carter Hutton sucks so we can skip over that...

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I kind of like that idea.