The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mixing up the lines (Discussion)

Well, we have a couple of days between games, so I thought I would throw this out at you to fill in the time...………….

Please feel free to tear me apart, for my shenanigans! 

Here are the lines I propose for our up and coming games, and why I am proposing them...……...

Line #1           LW Pettersson            C Miller              RW Gaudette...………………….18 minutes a game

I think this line is better suited for the quick strike, as well as being heavier up the middle. Miller has a great FO% of 58.8%. This also frees up Pettersson to leave earlier out of

the defensive zone, to create more offensive chances. Gaudette, who I see as a solid offensive player, with solid speed and tenacity, who would work well with Miller and Pettersson.

Remember the 58.8 % FO percentage.

Line # 2          LW   Pearson              C Horvat              RW Boeser ……………………...18 minutes a game  

I think this evens the second line out better and Boeser can keep up with Horvat and Pearson. This line becomes a line 1b with multiple scoring threats. Far more offensive line-mates

than Horvat has been playing with in combination. Horvat's FO % is 55.9 Remember that.

Line #3             LW Roussel              C Beagle              RW Virtanen...…………………...15 minutes a game

This is a great 3rd line, and should be considered a tenacious offensive line, who can start in any zone. Why Beagle? Well, Beagle does not get to play with many offensive line-mates,

but shows a great penance for going to the net, when given the opportunity. Beagle has a  very low offensive zone start percentage but given the chance, I think he could show well.

Beagle has a 58.7 FO percentage. Virtanen is scoring at a 41 point rate this season, which put him in the low 2nd line/high 3rd scoring stats, league wide. Roussel and his never stop 

motor will give lots of opportunities for his line mates. Again, do not forget Beagles 58.7 percent FO %.

Line #4                LW Leivo                 C Sutter               RW Ferland……………...………..9 minutes a game

This would be one of the best 4th lines in the league, with speed, scoring ability, defensive awareness, and decent weight (heaviness). This is a perfect spot for Sutter, where his reduced

minutes, should keep him healthier. I would suggest Sutter 47.0 FO percentage would go up, being fresher with the reduced minutes 

Schaller LW/C/RW and Motte C/LW as your 13th and 14th players. Eriksson in Utica

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMO, with the emergence of Gaudette as a bonified offensive threat with versatility, and the continuing elevation of Virtanen's game, I think we may have the ability to move players around a little and create 3 very offensive lines who will all benefit from each others pressure. IMO, our 4rth line is a very good 3rd line on a lot of teams.

Overall, our FO percentage of our starting centers goes up considerably, and we should be able to run and gun with the best of them, which means we start out with the puck much more often

OLD starting centers FO %..............Pettersson 48%, Horvat 55.9%, Gaudette 33.6%, and Beagle 58.7%,,,,,,,,,..average FO% = 49%  

NEW Proposed Centers FO% …….Miller 58.8%, Horvat 55.9%, Beagle 58.7%, Sutter 47.0%...…………………..average FO% =  55%

Again, I think Sutter's FO % goes up under this scenario, and collectively our offense goes up, with out possession. By the very nature of our possession going up, it means our

defensive zone time goes down, there by decreasing our goals against average 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flame away!

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Swap Sutter and Beagle imo. Looks good though

Yeah, I thought about that but. Beagle just doesn't get that opportunity much, where as Sutter has had multiple opportunities to show his wears and really has not done that much with them...I mean he has been on every line over the years, including the Sedin's, Horvat and centering his own line, and really what has he done?

I would like to see what Beagle can do with a more offensive scheme...…….there is also an almost 12% difference in FO%. I think I would rather have Beagle out there, than Sutter. It sure illustrates the differences in FO %. Colectively we are the 3rd best FO team in the league at 52.2%. The best team (Phili) is 54.3.

My new suggested center's are at 55%...that is 55 for us, and 45 for them...…..I think that wins games...……..

Miller takes a lot of draws as is.

I don't see the need to move Petey to the wing when he's putting up 1ppg and Miller is killing it on Petey's LW.

Also, Petey is a natural centre and needs to continue developing from that position. Having Mills there to take the FO pressure off him is a beautiful thing.

That said, I'm all for trying Gaudette as EPs RW even though he's a natural C and has been looking very good, especially with Rooster and Jake. 

It's more that I'd like to see what Gaud can do on EPs RW, not that I think he should be on that line

I love the 2nd line. Could swap Pearson with Ferky if Boeser is playing RW.

Could handle Beagle in the 3 hole.

But if we're having fun with lines

Miller Petey Virt/Ferk

Pearson Bo Boeser

Rooster Gaud Virt/Ferk

Leivo Beags Sutter

Motte, Schaller

Edited by luckylager
  • Cheers 3

Ya lost me when I saw Pettersson on the wing.

It seems we have another disgruntled Boeser posting at 28 points in 30 games.

My lineup concerns are filling holes during injuries, otherwise when healthy Green has had great results.

11 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Sutter has been great when healthy this season. Imo.

I am not advocating Sutter being traded in this post or that he does not help

I was coming from a stand point of making 3 offensive lines, that will out score their opponents

In  that regard, I don't think Sutter has done a good job......adequate, but not good.

On the other hand, Beagle has given us glimpse of his offensive side....

The fact that we can throw 3 centers at the opponent, that are above 55% FO, is a solid offensive threat

Sutter on the other hand gets less minutes and my guess is he stays healthier and his FO stats go up accordingly...

Just a thought...….

41 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I am not advocating Sutter being traded in this post or that he does not help

I was coming from a stand point of making 3 offensive lines, that will out score their opponents

In  that regard, I don't think Sutter has done a good job......adequate, but not good.

On the other hand, Beagle has given us glimpse of his offensive side....

The fact that we can throw 3 centers at the opponent, that are above 55% FO, is a solid offensive threat

Sutter on the other hand gets less minutes and my guess is he stays healthier and his FO stats go up accordingly...

Just a thought...….

Sutter has more goals than Beagle has points, and he’s played fewer games. Sutter has been quite good offensively this season. Beagle has given us one glimpse of his offensive side, Sutter’s shown multiple. 

4 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Sutter has more goals than Beagle has points, and he’s played fewer games. Sutter has been quite good offensively this season. Beagle has given us one glimpse of his offensive side, Sutter’s shown multiple. 

True enough...but look at quality of line-mates, responsibilities, and zone starts

Like everything, not everything shows up on the score sheet

Regardless...Sutter needs his minutes reduce as he can't stay healthy......

And I am not saying it should be that way....only suggesting something different

3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

True enough...but look at quality of line-mates, responsibilities, and zone starts

Like everything, not everything shows up on the score sheet

Regardless...Sutter needs his minutes reduce as he can't stay healthy......

And I am not saying it should be that way....only suggesting something different

Sutter was practicing on the wing this morning.