The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Madison Bowey

6 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

@Provost

I think for many of the people contributing to this thread, it's not so surprising that he DID clear. No one has room for what is essentially a spare part that isn't good in his own zone.

And who (apparently from the posted picture) has off ice issues.  Likely it's the off ice stuff that kept teams away.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

If so, he's essentially tanked his own career. I don't know what his problems are but hopefully he gets help.

Like you said, "he's only average, and bad in his own end".  Combine that with off ice issues, and no way will any team touch him.  Too bad really.  He was a top end prospect at one point.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On the topic of his off-ice issues, I think it's telling that Winnipeg, who probably would love to have more depth defenceman, has a hometown boy that they could claim FOR FREE.

You would think that bringing him home would help him out as some kind of reclamation project.

Yikes. His value is probably not much better than Ho-Sang.

Brutal... I was just looking up the most recent stuff about him.

https://thehockeywriters.com/ho-sang-talented-not-nhl-ready/

On Hockey Night in Canada this past Saturday, Elliotte Friedman explained that Ho-Sang has been sharing a message with multiple NHL teams. He let them know that “He will do whatever it takes to get a fresh start, including start in the American Hockey League.”

October 7th, 2019

Edited by Dazzle

Jets are currently leading the Wings 4-1 in the second. 3 goals in less than 3 minutes. Laine just cruised through the Wings defense like they weren’t even there.

Bowey isn’t good, but the Wings defense is frickin awful.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/10/2019 at 5:45 AM, Warhippy said:

Absolutely yes.  Why?  because at days end this guy was and still is a leader even if he might never be a pure NHL calibre defensemen, he is still a quality character

I would take a crack as well.

My take is he can't be that much worse than our 7th D; Fantenburg who is not bad at all actually.  Bowey is larger, faster, meaner and right handed, ideal for our 8th D.

Where if we lose Fantenburg?  We can call up Brisbois, we can hopefully call up Juolevi, we can call up Sautner as left handed D. Even if Bowey did not work out? Its not a bad risk.

But character and leadership are probably no longer things to be claimed. He makes dumb plays, those of someone who has a screw loose. About 4 weeks ago, in the 3rd period, he tripped a developing break. By opening the door from the penalty box, and chipping his stick between an opponents skates. From the box, before his penalty was over. Classic stuff to get your coach fired! Then in Washington, he was caught smoking weed. Do lots of NHL'ers? Probably.  Especially ones who lived in BC for 3 or 4 years.  But his discipline and intelligence have been a constant concern. And he has been an underperformer.

He is a great physical talent. Not everyone understood why he slipped to the 3rd round either?  Maybe he has always had a screw loose.  

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

trade for him and give him a chance in utica, I would take an even lower risk on him now that you can let him marinate in the A for the rest of the season. Kid had lots of hype, not looking like he will live up to it

I'd rather not have him take up Juolevi's developmental time.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/9/2019 at 12:23 PM, Sean Monahan said:

It wasn’t that long ago CDC would’ve creamed its collective pants to see Bowey available for free. 

Man, if I had any free time, I'm search the hundred proposals post about Madison Bowey and laugh at the ridiculous offers to acquire him.    I wouldn't be surprise to see the name Horvat in one of them.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Man, if I had any free time, I'm search the hundred proposals post about Madison Bowey and laugh at the ridiculous offers to acquire him.    I wouldn't be surprise to see the name Horvat in one of them.

Well back when some of those proposals were made it was when he was still a good RHD Prospect who was putting up solid numbers and was a key contributor for the Kelowna Rockets, once he got to Hershey I am not sure but in the W he was great. Better than Jett Woo and some here seem to think he is the be all end all cause he is a Canuck prospect and has similarities to Juice and how he played at the NHL level...

9 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Hindsight is 20/20 my friend. Wasn't long ago that Benning "fleeced" Ottawa for Dahlen.