The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] How can we keep these 6 forward in seattle expansion?

tan

15 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I forgot people here have never even played hockey. Benched does not mean scratched. Benched means the coach makes stay on the bench, good god. Ferland had his first game back in over a month. He's not going to get a lot of ice-time. Gaudette and Roussel both played more minutes than Virtanen so I am not sure why you bring them up. If you go back over the last 15 games Virtanen has the lowest AVG of TOI but sure pretend like Green doesn't bench him. 

I played for 18 years. A veteran player being a healthy scratch for half the season and only playing 5-7 mins a game when you are in the lineup... sounds like a benching to me. 

Edit: Gaudette and Roussel didn't have much more toi, thats why i brought them up.

Edited by Chickenspear

4 hours ago, peaches5 said:

I forgot people here have never even played hockey. Benched does not mean scratched. Benched means the coach makes stay on the bench, good god. Ferland had his first game back in over a month. He's not going to get a lot of ice-time. Gaudette and Roussel both played more minutes than Virtanen so I am not sure why you bring them up. If you go back over the last 15 games Virtanen has the lowest AVG of TOI but sure pretend like Green doesn't bench him. 

Jake has 6 points over his last 5 games while only averaging 13 and a half minutes a game (which is almost exactly the same ice time as Gaudette who gets PP looks). Guy sure does suck. So even if your benched theory were true (which it isn't, it's in line with other bottom 6ers most of which get special teams time that Jake doesn't) that'd be more of a knock on Green's coaching/deployment than Jake's talent. As has been mentioned already Jake has relatively the same amount of 5 on 5 points compared to our star players. Petey has 17 5 on 5 points, Boeser has 15, and Horvat has 14. 

Your only argument for Jake being bad is his time on the ice which he has no control over. You're not being benched cause you play the fewest minutes. If he had like 7 minutes and the next highest was 11 or 12, I'd agree. But he is in the ball park of other bottom 6 players.

Edited by N7Nucks

3 hours ago, peaches5 said:

Nobody is intimidated by Virtanen. It's the other way around. Virtanen is scared of everyone else. He will not fight anyone. As soon as a tough person comes by Virtanen is gone.

I actually have to agree with peaches here, but I value Jake's game more then you do.  Jake's definitely not intimidating anyone in the league.  

8 hours ago, Jtutino said:

Ya he has more points than Bo 5 on 5, the same as brock, and only 1 less than Petey.... and only plays 12 min a night. The price tag of 1.25 mil is a bargain.

Yes, but to be fair to Bo, he was rolling pretty well until Sutter and Beagle both went down, and he got stuck with a LOT of extra defensive zone starts.

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

Whoever shows the most progress between Jake and Adam, will be kept.

If we can keep 7 forwards and 3 defencemen, We have room for an extra forward. 

Hughes

Myers 

and one other D-man

Edler will be 35 and a UFA so no need to protect him.

Tanev will be somewhere else. 

We keep Demko.

9 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If we can keep 7 forwards and 3 defencemen, We have room for an extra forward. 

Hughes

Myers 

and one other D-man

Edler will be 35 and a UFA so no need to protect him.

Tanev will be somewhere else. 

We keep Demko.

We won't need to protect Hughes I think, He'll only have 2 full seasons under his belt. That said we will have to protect Juolevi (we should know if hes worth protecting by that stage probably).

• Cheers 1

On 12/9/2019 at 9:39 AM, peaches5 said:

Seattle take VIrtanen who is utterly useless or take Demko a young likely top goaltender in the NHL for years to come.. hmm. Tough decision. Not only that but you can protect 7 forwards 3 defensemen or 8 skaters.

The day we protect Markstrom over Demko will be the day JB gets run out of town

Assuming everyone gets re-signed 

7 Forwards (out of 14 listed)

Protected..................….Pettersson, Boeser, Miller, Horvat, Virtanen, Ferland, and Gaudette

Exposed...……………...Sutter, Eriksson, Leivo, Beagle, Roussel, Schaller, and Motte

Exposed Utica...……….Baertschi, McEwen, Goldobin, Jasek, Boucher, Perron, Bailey, Graovac, Boucher and Pope

3 Defensemen (out of 6 listed)

Protected...……………...Myers, Tanev, and Juolevi

Exposed...……………….Benn, Stecher and Fantenberg

Exposed Utica...………..Chatfield, Brisebois, and Sautner

1 Goalie (out of 2 listed)

Protected..................…..Demko (Demko could be unsigned and in negotiation's there by being exempt - Not as risky)

Exposed...………………. Markstrom and Pearson (Pearson could be un-signed and in negotiation's there by being exempt - Risky)

Exposed Utica...………...McIntyre, and Bachman

Exempt...………………...Hughes, Tryamkin, Edler (unsigned UFA), Eliot, Teves

Exempted Utica...………Rafferty, Woo, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Madden, DiPietro, Palmu, Kielly, Silovs and Gadjovich

I don't think I forgot anyone?

On 12/9/2019 at 9:20 AM, tan said:

Elias Pettersson
J.T. Miller
Brock Boeser
Bo Horvat
Jake Virtanen
Adam Gaudette

I know each team can only protect 5 forwards....

7 forwards 3 dman and a goalie is what you can protect. I wouldn’t waste it on Virtanen either! Hell Leivo more valuable same with Podkolzin. I’d expose Myers! But that’s me lol makes more sense imo:)

Ahem... let me take my silky gloves off...

On 12/9/2019 at 3:01 PM, peaches5 said:

So... jv sucks and is benched constantly?

Can't compare a winger to a C in terms of ice time, ever hear of 2 center men for defensive faceoffs ?

Or 2 C"s in the offensive zone trying to tie or force a comeback?

How many Of the Canucks 18 or so forwards this year are C ?

Petey, Horvat, Sutter, Beagle, Gaudette with Schaller, Motte, Miller, Graovac and Macewan filling the holes as needed.

By definition Virtanen is currently a fill in for PK or PP duties.

Special teams look like 

Pp1

Boeser Petey Miller

Hughes Myers

Pp2

Pearson Horvat Leivo

Edler Stecher 

Pk1

Horvat Sutter 

Edler Tanev

Pk2

Beagle Roussel 

Benn Myers

With Gaudette ferland and Virtanen line intact after any sort of special team's situation, it makes sense as to why JV and Co. On the 3rd line have lower minutes.

No special team assignments = less ice time

But you know that because you've played ice hockey, right?

Miller Petey Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Leivo 

Ferland Gaudette Virtanen 

Roussel Beagle Sutter

Motte Schaller Eriksson 

Baertschi Goldobin Graovac 

Macewan 

4 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Ahem... let me take my silky gloves off...

So... jv sucks and is benched constantly?

Can't compare a winger to a C in terms of ice time, ever hear of 2 center men for defensive faceoffs ?

Or 2 C"s in the offensive zone trying to tie or force a comeback?

How many Of the Canucks 18 or so forwards this year are C ?

Petey, Horvat, Sutter, Beagle, Gaudette with Schaller, Motte, Miller, Graovac and Macewan filling the holes as needed.

By definition Virtanen is currently a fill in for PK or PP duties.

Special teams look like 

Pp1

Boeser Petey Miller

Hughes Myers

Pp2

Pearson Horvat Leivo

Edler Stecher 

Pk1

Horvat Sutter 

Edler Tanev

Pk2

Beagle Roussel 

Benn Myers

With Gaudette ferland and Virtanen line intact after any sort of special team's situation, it makes sense as to why JV and Co. On the 3rd line have lower minutes.

No special team assignments = less ice time

But you know that because you've played ice hockey, right?

Miller Petey Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Leivo 

Ferland Gaudette Virtanen 

Roussel Beagle Sutter

Motte Schaller Eriksson 

Baertschi Goldobin Graovac 

Macewan 

Beagle, Sutter, Roussel, Ferland and all add in Motte, have barely been in the lineup the last 6 weeks yet somehow even with all those holes needing filled throughout the lineup JV has the lowest TOI avg of any player; we're not talking about Utica players here. Virtanen is useless. He is supposed to be a power forward and he is nowhere near that. He isn't going to magically start hitting people or intimidating people. He's intimidated by people. I am not surprised you can't see that when you come up with the most ridiculous reasoning to his TOI being low. He doesn't get PK or PP time on an extremely depleted lineup. That tells you everything you need to know.