The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which Canuck has most exceeded your expectations so far?

Rate this topic

BrockBoester

Overachievers  

144 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Overachieving implies they are doing better than what was thought possible. It also gives the impression that it's unsustainable.

Gaudette won the Hobey Baker Award for a reason. It's just took him a bit to transition to the NHL level. You could see from the start he had the defensive side down. 

Now the offence has kicked in. With experience his face-offs will improve too. Pretty damn good for a 5th round pick. 

JT Miller has been one of the best trades this team has seen in years. But he had 56 points with the Rangers in 2016-17, and 47 Points last year. In addition to being a solid team guy. I have rarely seen a guy that plays so well in every zone on the ice. And he will be the guy that goes into the boards and comes out with the puck. He's also a great role model to guys like Virtanen, Gaudette and even Boeser to a degree. Now is he overachieving saying he will get 80 points? Maybe. He's just a joy to watch much like Petey.

Hughes. The only thing that is surprising is much like Pettersson last year, he seems to have transitioned to the NHL so well, and looks more like a 10 year vet than a rookie. 

He might hit a wall 2/3's into the season, much like Petey, I don't think he's used to playing so many games. I low balled my expectations for him as it was his first year. 

But truly the sky is the limit for Huggy Bear. 

Pretty sure Benning is lighting up a cigar somewhere saying. "I love it when a plan comes together". 

Great post.  Laughed at the A-Team reference.  Agree that trade is looking mighty fine right now, a lo of teams would have lined up for that sort of boost.  And will if we ever decide to trade him albeit for a better return.  He's a joy to watch plays the game right - actually reminds me a little of Smyl.   Not quite so early days anymore - but still lots of hockey left.   Hughes is fun to watch and definitely is better then I'd expected.   Was hoping maybe he'd get 40-45 point and show promise on our future PP.  He is a rookie right?   Sure isn't playing like one.   And I'm already questioning if maybe we have the better of the two brothers...one year isn't that much of a difference.  

The script couldn't be better IMO.   The fact we have a thread that warrants some discussion and has so many players on it that may or may not be overachieving is about the best we could hope for.   JV and Pearson...are both doing their part too.   Leivo has gone from whipping boy to maybe he's the actual real deal and maybe TG is a genius.  Ok maybe going to far BUT he's changed my mind about him - what a steal!

• Upvote 2

Miller. I don't feel stupid for thinking a 1st was too much to give up though considering the cap bind Tampa was in the price should have been less. 

It doesn't really matter how well Miller does it was still an overpayment. That being said it is still a good trade just an overpayment.

• Haha 1

Hughes, I try to temper expectations by having no real expectations outside of effort level. But statistically speaking, and in effort, he has blown my mind. Guy is a treat to watch with the puck. Defensively he battles and is positionally sound. Yeah he was not on Tavares tonight and it led to a goal. But that happens to everyone. Overall he’s been really good in all areas.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Hughes, I try to temper expectations by having no real expectations outside of effort level. But statistically speaking, and in effort, he has blown my mind. Guy is a treat to watch with the puck. Defensively he battles and is positionally sound. Yeah he was not on Tavares tonight and it led to a goal. But that happens to everyone. Overall he’s been really good in all areas.

Yes and especially for a rookie D he doesn't make a ton of crucial mistakes