The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Toronto Maple Leafs at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 10, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

44 minutes ago, Topcheeze86 said:

From what ive noticed this year Brocks wrist injury took about 25% off his shot its no longer feared as it once was and please bro get some dekes going dont just shoot at the goalie 

o for on breakaways that couldve ended the game if that was petey all 3 of those breakaways go in 

The laser in his shot has definitely disappeared. He is stronger and skating better so there's still that, but boy, I miss his shot.

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

The obvious take aways from last night -

Canucks didn't get nearly enough traffic in front of Anderson. 

Too much cute passing for perimeter shots.

Anderson was good.

I hate losing to Toronto

This is it for me as well. It's frustrating that we don't adapt our game to getting traffic in front of the net when the perimeter isn't working. 

When another team's D pushes us to the perimeter, and a hot/good goalie has all the angles coverered, we need to crash and jam the net as an effective go-to third option. 

I will say, though, that up the middle breakaway play worked beautifully. We need to keep refining that. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

This is it for me as well. It's frustrating that we don't adapt our game to getting traffic in front of the net when the perimeter isn't working. 

When another team's D pushes us to the perimeter, and a hot/good goalie has all the angles coverered, we need to crash and jam the net as an effective go-to third option. 

I will say, though, that up the middle breakaway play worked beautifully. We need to keep refining that. 

How did the Leafs defense keep the Canucks, who are the larger team, to the perimeter?

Many say that the Canucks were the better team.  But your team includes your goalie and your defensive play in your own end.  And Toronto had the better goalie tonight.  Guess who was on the ice for all of the goals?  #17.  Great he is scoring but he needs to stay with his check and play both ways.  That can be said for all of the players.  Myers needs to staple guys against the boards not just wave his stick at them hoping they will stay on the perimeter.  My old coach said that when you are playing defense you need to play like you have eyes in the back of your head.  

Horvat looks like he is carrying too much weight on his shoulders (captaincy) and not just playing his game.  The harder he tries to less success he has.  It would help too if his fellow wingers could get to the net as well.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

How did the Leafs defense keep the Canucks, who are the larger team, to the perimeter?

I honestly feel it's self inflicted and they're just programmed to set up that way.  I'd rather they mix it up...especially on a rush...don't veer off, go at the net.  We seem to take the scenic route and it gives our opponents time to also set up.  Sometimes you just have to use that momentum when you are on a

2-1/3-1 by carrying it right to the net and creating chaos.  Not heading for a pit stop along the boards.  Too predictable that way.

Greasy goals and rebounds are just as fun as pretty passing plays that finally get a shot off and, rarely, through.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

I honestly feel it's self inflicted and they're just programmed to set up that way.  I'd rather they mix it up...especially on a rush...don't veer off, go at the net.  We seem to take the scenic route and it gives our opponents time to also set up.  Sometimes you just have to use that momentum by carrying it right to the net.  Not at a pit stop.

That sounds like some coaching deficiencies.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Last point, PGT(for this poster) is we need some new blood. I think JB has to deal a fwd, or two. But I wonder if anyone wants to do biz?

I'm thinking that there is always a willingness to do business. The upcoming trade freeze may place some pressure.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I honestly feel it's self inflicted and they're just programmed to set up that way.  I'd rather they mix it up...especially on a rush...don't veer off, go at the net.  We seem to take the scenic route and it gives our opponents time to also set up.  Sometimes you just have to use that momentum when you are on a

2-1/3-1 by carrying it right to the net and creating chaos.  Not heading for a pit stop along the boards.  Too predictable that way.

Greasy goals and rebounds are just as fun as pretty passing plays that finally get a shot off and, rarely, through.

Our team lack creativity and opportunism in the offensive zone.  Looks like they are trying to execute a system offensively instead of creating opportunity and taking advantage if the situation.  Need to be more flexible and less structured.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Totally agree.  We got caught up in the Leaf's style of too much east-west play.  We need to play in straight lines north-south, or (if we are going to go east west) someone needs to be driving north-south to the net, and forcing the D to back in deep. That creates space for crossing the ice with the puck (east-west) and produces net front, and high quality chances.  

Although last night I do believe we have enough grade A chances to win the game; their goalie was fabulous, and Marky wasn't.  Otherwise, I think our guys (except for a bit in the second period) played the right way, and well enough to win.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Our team lack creativity and opportunism in the offensive zone.  Looks like they are trying to execute a system offensively instead of creating opportunity and taking advantage if the situation.  Need to be more flexible and less structured.

When you have players like Pettersson, Boeser, and the like, having a bit of freedom to decide is essential. Green doesn't seem like a coach that thinks that way. Hopefully he becomes more adaptable.

I see the usual blame the coach when we lose and no credit to the coach when we win is still in full effect. Kudos for the consistency CDC.

Three breakaways and the goal scored was a banged in garbage goal = too much perimeter play. I guess our systems told Boeser and Horvat to shoot the puck rather than deke on a breakaway. We played a fine game, had our chances and ran into a hot goalie. Our goaltending didn't give us the key saves on bad coverage when we needed them and theirs did. Not faulting this loss on Marky, but it's just the way it goes sometimes.

• Upvote 1

Got too caught up in the run and gun style with the Leafs.  That isn't our style.  We need to be tight defensively in order to play an aggressive style of game, and felt we strayed away from that trying to match the Leafs' skill and speed which isn't our strength.

I thought we didn't get nearly enough traffic in front of the net and nor did we use our strength of grit and physicality to pressure the Leafs.  15 hits and 3 of them coming from Ferland in the 4 mins he played in the first period showed that the team sat back on the forecheck and didn't really use their physicality to make the opposition uncomfortable.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Got too caught up in the run and gun style with the Leafs.  That isn't our style.  We need to be tight defensively in order to play an aggressive style of game, and felt we strayed away from that trying to match the Leafs' skill and speed which isn't our strength.

I thought we didn't get nearly enough traffic in front of the net and nor did we use our strength of grit and physicality to pressure the Leafs.  15 hits and 3 of them coming from Ferland in the 4 mins he played in the first period showed that the team sat back on the forecheck and didn't really use their physicality to make the opposition uncomfortable.

Agreed. Green was schooled by Keefe. Not a good look.

• Upvote 1