The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Toronto Maple Leafs at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 10, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Leaf bloggers this morning are all, "Leafs are back, baby!"

Typical delusion.  Reality is, the way they fell apart in the third period indicates one thing -- new Leafs, same as the old Leafs.  They may make the playoffs, again, but are going to be easy outs, again.

Of course those brain dead weasels would say that. They should be worshipping Andersen.

• Upvote 2

-Great effort by the guys last night. Pretty much a full 60 minute game.

- Some really good chances to  put us in the game.

-Still have to work on the tentativeness in the D zone. Too many players allowed to skate freely as if they are on the PP. Bo has trouble with this and looks lost and out of place in the D zone.

-Finally others are seeing that Boes and Petey need splitting up. Great on the PP but 5 on 5 leaves something to be desired. TG has the ability to move guys around to see if there is chemistry somewhere. Others have stated the past chemistry with Boes and Bo. Boes looks like he has lost a bit of confidence and a change might do him good. Also takes pressure off of him being on the top line. His passing and his shot is off this year. Remember when if he was in range of a shot, it was going in the net. Now he is missing the net and his shot is not as hard(as others have stated). Virtanen seems to have more jump playing in the top 6 too.

-We really need the sandpaper guys to step up. The skilled guys are still getting way too much room to skate around. This includes Virtanen, Pearson, Myers and Leivo.

- Not really concerned about the loss(even if it is with the Leafs) just interested in the team improving overall.

• Upvote 4

I just want to remind everyone here who are scrutinizing Brock for not scoring on the breakaways to take a look at Connor McDavid’s Penalty shot attempt from last night’s game. Players are human. Sometimes this just happens, even to some of the bests in the game.

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

When our goalie plays better than the opponent's goalie we will win.  Last night Anderson was better than Marky, and (as a result) we lost.  That's hockey, and why the goalie is very much a key piece to a winning team, especially in the cap era, when teams are so even.  

Absofu?cking lukely.   Andersson had been bailing them out for three years now.  I'd love to have him or Gibson on our team.   High hopes Demko can continue his craft - and it's also why I'm not completely sold on JM ...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Leaf bloggers this morning are all, "Leafs are back, baby!"

Typical delusion.  Reality is, the way they fell apart in the third period indicates one thing -- new Leafs, same as the old Leafs.  They may make the playoffs, again, but are going to be easy outs, again.

Tbf we are in the same boat. 

We play good for a period or 2 and suck in 1period in most games. We are a playoff team most likely but won't be in the 2nd round. 

Maple leafs are more overrated then us but we aren't better. Leafs being contenders is a good laugh and are in deep cap issues

Edited by milk and honey
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Absofu?cking lukely.   Andersson had been bailing them out for three years now.  I'd love to have him or Gibson on our team.   High hopes Demko can continue his craft - and it's also why I'm not completely sold on JM ...

Lamarillo understands the need for a top goalie to win in this league.  I think his first move as GM with the Leafs was to get Anderson.  I'm okay with Marky, and think he and Demko will be a good tandem for a bit, but then Demko will prove to be better.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Ok. I was referring specifically to last night's game, and why the team didn't do more to force it's way in front of Andersen. I fail to see why Green didn't make that happen. It would have been far more effective.

And should have, again, given Green pause to consider changing up the methodology.

44 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And should have, again, given Green pause to consider changing up the methodology.

It looks like we're on the same page with adapting to get more traffic in front of the net. 

The challenge for Green is identifying the right time to change it up when the perimeter game isn't working and likely won't for the rest of the game. Imo, that requires a deeper level of intuition and reading their D in order to know when to break from convention.

When you think about it, last night's game was fast. It's less risky to just stay the course and keep pushing, getting shots off from the perimeter and point. Especially when you do have confidence in your players. That confidence kind of locks you into your methodolgy. 

To me, this speaks to possibly one of the reasons "why" Green didn't make that happen. It's more tempting in safe logic to keep feeding Hughes with Petey and Boeser getting shots off from the angle then it is to change it up. 

To me this is where Green needs to really up his game as a coach to be the difference maker. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

In all fairness to some Leafs fans claiming "we're back!", I can imagine the joy and Leaf bashing on CDC today if it was the Canucks who won. TOR and VAN are very similar teams I think, but Andersen had a great game. He wa the differnce. But, that being said, the Leafs are still the Leafs and will crumble in the playoffs, if they make it. Let them have their fun, it's all an illusion for their fans anyway. They are not a good playoff team and lack the grit required to go far.